Thirteen Reasons Why

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Re: Thirteen Reasons Why

Postby Rommie » Tue May 09, 2017 4:26 pm

Thumper wrote:
Rommie wrote:As an aside, I guess I'm identifying more with the parents these days than the kids. I didn't cry at the showing of the suicide, but I did when they had the scene of her parents discovering her. Just awful.
That's when I knew my little girl was not so little. We were talking about the scene and I told her how horrified I was. She said, "I felt so bad for the mother. How terrible that would be."

As for the likeability of the characters, Mrs. T didn't sympathize with any of them, including Hannah and Clay.

Yeah, I remember as a teenager the scene in Dead Poets Society where his parents find him affecting me, but not on the level I think it would have now. And I'm glad those scenes are shown, because I suspect Hannah did not exactly dwell on what it would be like for her parents to inevitably find her, beyond a vague "they'd be better off without me."

I didn't really sympathize with any of them either. Probably the closest I got was to Tony, who is clearly grieving/ guilty and eventually realizes what Hannah wanted is not necessarily the best thing for her, and does the right thing. And while it's not the same thing as sympathizing with, I do think by the end my greatest sympathy was for Justin strangely enough- all the other kids just have their own dramas, so to speak, but that kid was actually dealing with abuse and homelessness.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Tue May 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Yeah, Tony didn't really do anything wrong, and was trying to honor Hannah's wishes. He never seemed to be thinking of himself first. I know The Kid liked him. I did a 180 on Justin. I disliked him more and more as the episodes went, then suddenly felt very very sorry for him. The scene with his mother and her POS boyfriend was heartbreaking.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:12 am

Started watching Season 2. Wow these are all terrible people.

I guess it's unsurprising each start/end of the episode they now have info about a crisis counselor.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:26 am

In one of the brief moments that The Kid was home, I walked in from a break in a marathon stump grinding session and she appeared to be watching part of Season 2. I feigned like I was hurt that she would start watching without me. Then went back to grinding. I'm not sure I'm interested much.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:44 pm

I watched the first two episodes. Pretty much all the drama would be solved by telling the children that threatening witnesses in a trial is a serious crime that they should go to the police for. I'll probably keep watching sometime, but I'm not going out of my way to binge it.
Rommie

Previous

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments