Jack Ryan

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Jack Ryan

Postby geonuc » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:01 pm

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, that is. The guy famously played by Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford and Ben Affleck in various movies.

I watched the first season of the Amazon Prime series - not bad if you like that sort of thing (I do). Interestingly, I read somewhere about how Ryan has been portrayed in the films and how various details of his character differ from Clancy's novels. For instance, unlike what we saw in Hunt For Red October (and maybe the other films, I don't remember), Ryan was not a US Naval Academy graduate. He went to Boston College. In this series, the story has him as a BC guy but also an Afghanistan war vet, which wasn't in the novels.

Anyway, I thought the series was well done - Ryan is a complex but likeable character. The portrayal of Jim Greer (Admiral James Greer in the novel and movies) is a bit different and unsettling, though. I keep wanting James Earl Jones to show up.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Re: Jack Ryan

Postby Thumper » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:30 pm

If you're used to James Earl Jones playing a part, I imagine it could be difficult getting comfortable with someone else in the role. I think he played a similar character in HBO's "By Dawn's Early Light." Gruff, grizzled, but ultimately lovable.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments