What do I do with six cameras?

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

What do I do with six cameras?

Postby cid » Fri May 31, 2013 9:41 pm

So it all started out like this...

Away back when, I went b@tsh!t on eBay and bought a Pentax K1000 (regarded as THE beginner's 35mm film camera). At the same time, I went and bought numerous bells'n'whistles to install the camera on a telescope, for astrophotography (which I've done in a minor manner, but pulled a couple of podium finishes for some local competitions).

After that, I wound up with a little "free film for life" Walgreen's 35mm point'n'shoot. Not exactly a Leica, but a darned good camera just to have around.

The club radio station was having a garage sale, and in the box'o'junk was a TIME magazine subscription premium -- another 35mm point'n'shoot. Looks like an SLR, but it ain't.

A friend who is a fabulous astrophotographer ( John's website -- http://www.galacticimages.com ) was cleaning out his garage (*cough*at the wife's "request"*cough*) and was about to pitch a box of stuff, when he remembered I do a little film work. So, at the next astro society meeting, he gave me the box. Some lens filters, an old light meter, and a perfectly serviceable Nikon 35mm camera! I stuck a battery in for the internal light meter, and we were off to the races...

Couple weeks later, I'm at a friend's place, being the semiunofficial event photographer for his birthday party, just clicking away with the Nikon, when Chas sees it and comments that I ought to enter the digital age. Commenting that I was barely able to get two consecutive dollar bills at any particular time, he commiserated. A week later, I was again at his place for the annual book burning (not quite what it sounds, a very humorous story/event all by itself), when he tossed me a box. (Now, Chas and I are similar souls, in that we are hoarders. However, I just have a houseful of junk. He's transliterated it into a very tidy sum doint the eBay thing.) The box contained an Olympus SP-310 digital camera! Haven't quite gotten it up'n'running yet (needs rechargeable batteries and a charger) for reasons below...

About two weeks after that, Mom came back from little brother's place in AZ where she was rehabbing from rotator cuff surgery (we expect her on the mound for Cincinnati after the All-Star break) and she brought me ANOTHER camera that lil' bro had no further use for. I was familiar with this one, as I'd used it out there a number of years back when The Boys went up on the Canyon rim to celebrate a 50th birthday. Spare battery, manual, just needed a couple of cables for recharging, and an 8Gb memory card that gives me either 24+ hours of low resolution video or eight squillion mid-resolution stills.

In April, I sold the TIME camera at the radio club auction for a buck. The lady that bought it said it'd be perfect for her kid.

So now I'm down to five. The Pentax stays. The Walgreen special stays. Lil' bro's digital stays. That leaves the Nikon and the Olympus up in the air. I've been dithering on them for awhile as they gather dust.

I believe the word I'm searching for is "surfeit"...
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Re: What do I do with six cameras?

Postby FZR1KG » Fri May 31, 2013 9:51 pm

Take lots of pictures??? :P
FZR1KG

Postby geonuc » Fri May 31, 2013 9:58 pm

The Nikon might be better than the Pentax.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:08 am

Craigslist? :D
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments