Ender's Game

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Ender's Game

Postby geonuc » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:21 pm

I wanted to see Ender's Game but I was clued in to the author's socio-political views, which he doesn't do much to keep to himself. Now I'm not going.

Maybe I'm setting the bar too high - there are probably any number of authors, screenwriters, producers, directors whose views I don't agree with but whose movies I've paid to see.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Re: Ender's Game

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:17 am

Well, you aren't alone. I didn't see the film for the same reason - it would leave a sour taste in my mouth.

If it's any consolation, the movie is apparently kind of bland. Just unremarkable.
The Supreme Canuck

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:42 am

I'm at the point where I don't even want to hear about the personal lives of actors, writers, singers, etc. because I'd rather be able to keep their personal views separate from their craft. I'm with you on my disdain for Card, but I don't think that's what would keep me from seeing the movie if I really wanted to. It was a fantastic book, but I think it actually stands well on its own. I'm going wait until I hear more reviews to decide. I won't be seeing it in the theater, for sure. But maybe on disc.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:23 am

There was a time I thought it was a good book, but now, the idea of destroying innocence by teaching children to commit genocide with no idea of what they're doing, is so unpalatable, that when coupled with Card's evil goals, I'm just not interested.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Cyborg Girl » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:23 am

Yes. The scary thing about Card, and about Ender's Game, is that the guy is a good writer; he skillfully uses the reader's sympathy for the characters to frame a war crime as excusable. Skilled writing and dangerous ideas are a pretty toxic combination, IMO, especially in a (supposed) YA novel.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby FZR1KG » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Not seeing it for the same reasons as geonuc stated.
I just don't want to support financially an asshole with such views.
FZR1KG

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments