Miley just may be makin' some sense here...

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Miley just may be makin' some sense here...

Postby cid » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:20 am

Every once in awhile, a few brain cells link up and start cogitating...
I can see what she's talking about here, and I find myself in tentative agreement...:shock:...and not for the reason you preverts think... :roll:
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Re: Miley just may be makin' some sense here...

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:29 am

I agree entirely. Hell, I was never comfortable with the huge amount of body-shaming/sex-shaming that went on concerning her following her infamous performance.

Honestly. People need to get over themselves about adults doing adult things.
The Supreme Canuck

Postby FZR1KG » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:49 am

I don't get America's obsession over nudity, nor its hypocrisy with freedom of speech, you can't swear on TV or radio.
You can't swear or show nudity because it may offend someone but you can freely insult and offend the masses with blatant lies and propaganda the news services push. wtf?

Thing's of a graphic nature are ok if it's graphic violence. Just don't swear or flash a booby. That's nasty shit right there.

For the record, in Oz we had full frontal TV shows back in the 70's.
Shit, fuck and that kind of thing are said quite regularly on TV. They just limit it to later hours when the kids have generally gone to bed and they put up a rating to tell you so you can change the channel.
FZR1KG

Postby SciFi Chick » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:38 am

The Supreme Canuck wrote:I agree entirely. Hell, I was never comfortable with the huge amount of body-shaming/sex-shaming that went on concerning her following her infamous performance.

Honestly. People need to get over themselves about adults doing adult things.

I was uncomfortable with it as well, and a LOT of it was coming from so-called feminists who think she's being exploited and can't accept the fact that she's a businesswoman making decisions to further her career. It doesn't matter whether one agrees with her or not. It's no different than what Madonna did in the nineties. And the sad thing is we haven't come any further than that.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:05 am

It is getting better on TV, though, and not with a lot of media attention or government (FCC) pronouncements. You can hear 'shit' and 'fuck' occasionally on later cable shows and HBO specializes in the female breast. For some reason, the FCC thinks HBO (and the others) is different because you have to pay for it. I have to pay for all the channels I get.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:41 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:I was uncomfortable with it as well, and a LOT of it was coming from so-called feminists who think she's being exploited and can't accept the fact that she's a businesswoman making decisions to further her career. It doesn't matter whether one agrees with her or not. It's no different than what Madonna did in the nineties. And the sad thing is we haven't come any further than that.

Yeah, that is concerning. The interesting thing to me is that it appears to be a generational divide, more or less, in feminist circles. The "all sexualization is exploitation" camp tends to skew older and the sex-positive feminists tend to skew younger. Not sure why that is.
The Supreme Canuck

Postby FZR1KG » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:53 pm

The Supreme Canuck wrote:Yeah, that is concerning. The interesting thing to me is that it appears to be a generational divide, more or less, in feminist circles. The "all sexualization is exploitation" camp tends to skew older and the sex-positive feminists tend to skew younger. Not sure why that is.

Let me hep you out here.
Old women are self conscious and are reminded that they are old by seeing young women dressed skimpily. They forget they were the generation burning bra's and the whole free love movement etc. They are acutely aware that while they have retained their brain, their bodies are no longer their most obvious attributes and so don't get drinks or special attention due to their looks. Which most didn't mind back even though it is highly sexist but now they don't get that attention and are thus treated more equally, resent it.

Younger women want to be found sexy and attractive and intelligent and want to show off their "packages" but at the same time don't want to be treated as a sex objects because they have a mind, but rather as, sexy feminine female thingy type beings that retain full equality regardless that they can dress in ways that would have men barred from entering most establishments if they showed the same amount of skin.

And about a million other reasons which vary depending on each person. So some of the above don't apply to some women others do etc. Overall it's more about the randomised distribution of each person as applied to the whole than any specific traits belonging to any individual women.

e.g. I know many women that do not in any way fit the above but I also know a lot that do.
FZR1KG

Postby Rommie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:09 pm

The Supreme Canuck wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:I was uncomfortable with it as well, and a LOT of it was coming from so-called feminists who think she's being exploited and can't accept the fact that she's a businesswoman making decisions to further her career. It doesn't matter whether one agrees with her or not. It's no different than what Madonna did in the nineties. And the sad thing is we haven't come any further than that.

Yeah, that is concerning. The interesting thing to me is that it appears to be a generational divide, more or less, in feminist circles. The "all sexualization is exploitation" camp tends to skew older and the sex-positive feminists tend to skew younger. Not sure why that is.

I think it was a classic "I remember when she was a cute little kid on Disney Channel my kids adored... what are you doing young lady?!" type reaction. Britney Spears was the same in my generation a decade ago.

Next it'll be Selena Gomez I guess. So continues the cycle.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Ugh. I suspect you're right. Makes me a little sad. You'd think we'd have learned by now.
The Supreme Canuck

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments