Man of steel *spoilers*

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Man of steel *spoilers*

Postby FZR1KG » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:51 pm

Got a lot of rust me thinks.
More of the same, totally basic science facts ignored.
Yes, I know Superman defies physics by flying but it's that "internal inconsistency" problem that is again utterly lacking.
Not going to spoil it by describing what happens but sheesh.

**** warning SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD ****
Last edited by FZR1KG on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
FZR1KG

Re: Man of steel

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:13 am

You're not going to spoil it?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Some examples of science they got wrong. Apparently, the periodic table is exclusive to earth. Growing up in Earth atmosphere gave Superman his powers - he can't breathe very well in his own atmosphere, but he has no problem visiting space without any kind of space suit.

There was something else, but my mind has blissfully blotted it out.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:13 am

You're not going to spoil it?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Some examples of science they got wrong. Apparently, the periodic table is exclusive to earth. Growing up in Earth atmosphere gave Superman his powers - he can't breathe very well in his own atmosphere, but he has no problem visiting space without any kind of space suit.

There was something else, but my mind has blissfully blotted it out.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Cyborg Girl » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:51 am

Hey, I wonder if anyone's done a Superman powered by neutrino absorption? That would actually make sense.

(Well, as much sense as a flying dude in tights makes anyway.)
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby FZR1KG » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:36 am

SciFi Chick wrote:There was something else, but my mind has blissfully blotted it out.

The conversation that was occurring in the vacuum of space?
At least they got that space was cold seeing as we could see their breath as they had this conversation...including the breath of the hologram father. rofl
FZR1KG

Re: Man of steel *spoilers*

Postby geonuc » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:26 am

You guys definitely need some new disbelief suspenders. Yours are worn out and have lost their elasticity. You can probably get new ones from Amazon, delivered by drone.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Re: Man of steel *spoilers*

Postby squ1d » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:56 pm

The science stuff doesn't bother me in this case, it's a Hollywood movie and the comic books were just as stupid and poorly conceived from a scientific standpoint. What I wanted was a compelling story about what it means to be Superman.

I objected to the central theme as expressed by Superman's dad; that Clarke's internal struggle can and should involve a reluctance to use his powers because ...... people ......, even when it comes to a busload of children drowning. This was inconsistent with everything shown of the father's character. The recurrence of this idea was intensely annoying to me and was the worst way to frame the narrative I could possibly imagine.

There were many things I liked about the movie, it was certainly shot and edited in an interesting way and it had good production values. It seemed quite distinct from other film adaptations of the story.
squ1d

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments