Binge watching

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Re: Binge watching

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:40 am

gethen wrote:
Thumper wrote:
gethen wrote:I started watching "Supernatural" on Netflix. Not sure why. It isn't terribly well done or compelling, but I can knit and only half watch. And the characters are growing on me.
OTOH, there's "Westworld." Dang!

I was going to start a thread about Westworld to see if anyone was watching. I know it's on HBO so if you don't have it, you'll be waiting a while to see/rent it. I remember watching the original movie in the mid 70's. Got to see parts of a couple episodes last week from our hotel room in Austin. I thought it had promise and looked like it could be interesting. Maybe I'm getting old and prude but I thought the cussing was gratuitous, as well as the sex and excessive violence. (Yes, I know that gratuitous violence is part of the reason customers pay to go to Westworld.) But in my limited screening, it just seems like every character is an @ss.

I agree--could do without some of the very graphic violence, especially because it is tied to the sex pretty often. But part of the attraction is just wondering what's really going on. I'm hoping there's more to the story than seeing the same people get killed two or three times in every episode.

If they follow the original plot the androids are going to start getting even soon. :twisted:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:45 pm

Still slogging through True Blood. Middle of season 5.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:25 pm

I finally got to watch the first episode of West World this week. I liked enough to try the second one. Mostly because I am wondering if the psychopath who gets his jollies off torturing and murdering the "livestock" has anything to do with the malfunctions.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Parrothead » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:20 pm

Almost finished with S3 of "Charlie's Angels". Most of the better episodes in the season are the ones that feature appearances by Farrah Fawcett: "Angel Come Home", "Mother Angel" and "Angel In A Box".

I did get a kick out of the 2 part episode "Terror On Skis". It had them in Aspen and featured some scenes with ski ballet. I haven't seen any of that, since it was a demo sport in the Winter Olympics, early '90's. It being the '70's, I kept expecting to see "Suzy Chapstick" make an appearance. ;)

Happy 71st to Jaclyn Smith. According to a list in the paper, also today: Pat Sajak turns 70 and H R-C turns 69.

"West World", haven't seen any of the new series. Have the 70's movie on a tape somewhere, vaguely recall an earlier West World tv series. Don't think I have a copy of the sequel film "Future World".
Parrothead

Postby Parrothead » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:19 pm

I've now gotten into S4 of CA. It started off with the angels working a case aboard "the love boat" ( Love exciting and new... ). I couldn't help but laugh near the beginning of a later episode, "Fallen Angel". They are investigating a suspected jewel thief who happens to be good at polo, sailing and auto racing. Charlie describes him as "James Bond-ian in tastes, means and charm." Later it would be shown he is dating Jill Munroe. This character happens to be played by Timothy Dalton, some 7-8 years before he actually played Bond. :P
Parrothead

Postby squ1d » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:15 pm

I've just got into Luke Cage (behind the times, I know). I love its weird 70'ish blacksploitation feel.
squ1d

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:12 am

squ1d wrote:I've just got into Luke Cage (behind the times, I know). I love its weird 70'ish blacksploitation feel.

I really enjoyed it. Pretty sure not everyone in Harlem is Black, but hey, we had ten seasons of "Friends" where we were given the impression that everyone in New York is Jewish, so I reckon turnabout is fair play. :D
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:28 am

And that 6 partially employed 20 somethings can afford million dollar high rise apartments in Manhattan. :P
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Thumper wrote:And that 6 partially employed 20 somethings can afford million dollar high rise apartments in Manhattan. :P

Well, one of them was very well employed, and he lived in a much crappier apartment. The big apartment was inherited, by Monica, from her grandmother, and it was rent controlled. No idea if you can inherit rent control. What I want to know is how you can have a magnificent apartment on one side of a hall and a piece of shit right across the hall. I've never seen anything like that. :lol:
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:08 pm

Yeah, I remember the BS "thank god for rent control" statement on the season finale.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby squ1d » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:05 am

The fact its 99% black people does not bother me in the slightest.

Friends, however, sucks :D
squ1d

Postby geonuc » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:49 pm

Still slogging through True Blood. I'm in the middle of season 6. I like it - probably the best vampire series I've seen, but the various storylines have degraded, particularly with the two main characters (Sookie and Bill).

On another note, I'd seen reviews for the Amazon series Man in the High Castle and wanted to watch that, too. So, I signed up for Amazon Prime and bought the Amazon FireStick, or whatever it's called.

I think I may be paying too much for all this internet access stuff.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:39 pm

squ1d wrote:The fact its 99% black people does not bother me in the slightest.

"Friends" makes me laugh. It pretty much got me through the nineties. :D
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:44 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
Thumper wrote:And that 6 partially employed 20 somethings can afford million dollar high rise apartments in Manhattan. :P

Well, one of them was very well employed, and he lived in a much crappier apartment. The big apartment was inherited, by Monica, from her grandmother, and it was rent controlled. No idea if you can inherit rent control. What I want to know is how you can have a magnificent apartment on one side of a hall and a piece of shit right across the hall. I've never seen anything like that. :lol:

Micro Zoning. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:45 pm

geonuc wrote:Still slogging through True Blood. I'm in the middle of season 6. I like it - probably the best vampire series I've seen, but the various storylines have degraded, particularly with the two main characters (Sookie and Bill).

On another note, I'd seen reviews for the Amazon series Man in the High Castle and wanted to watch that, too. So, I signed up for Amazon Prime and bought the Amazon FireStick, or whatever it's called.

I think I may be paying too much for all this internet access stuff.

I enjoyed the first season of Man in the High Castle. I am looking forward to Season 2.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:29 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
squ1d wrote:The fact its 99% black people does not bother me in the slightest.

"Friends" makes me laugh. It pretty much got me through the nineties. :D

It's in my top 10, maybe 15 shows. I'll still stop and watch an episode when I'm clicking through the channels. There isn't an episode I haven't seen at least 3 times. A few may be as high as 10!

I had my first illegal drink in college watching that show. It was sophomore year (yes, I was a goody-goody) and the episode where Ross and Rachel kissed was on the night before a big Modern Physics test. Someone in my class taped it while we were studying, and we got together after the test to watch it. And drink. I can't believe that was 21 years ago.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby squ1d » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:35 am

I guess my dislike of Friends and other fan favourites is like that scene from This Is The End where Craig and Emma Watson call Jay a hipster.

"Yeah, you do seem to hate a lot of things. And the bottom of your pants are awful tight."
"I bet you hate movies that are universally loved."
squ1d

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:49 pm

squ1d wrote:I guess my dislike of Friends and other fan favourites is like that scene from This Is The End where Craig and Emma Watson call Jay a hipster.

"Yeah, you do seem to hate a lot of things. And the bottom of your pants are awful tight."
"I bet you hate movies that are universally loved."

We all have different likes and dislikes. The only thing I really dislike is when someone judges me personally for stuff that I find amusing. I mean, unless you get off on snuff films, or pedophilia, what you like is your business.

As an example, I used to watch an American soap opera called "General Hospital." This is far, far, far from high art. I'd rank it higher than The Kardashians (disclaimer: I've never seen The Kardashians, so I'm judging it without watching it.), but it's inconsistent, badly written lots of times, and generally, a soap opera. However, it was filmed on a studio lot owned by the studio my mother and I worked for. It had really hot guys on it who could totally act. I was frequently impressed by how their story lines could change and they would keep on making it believable with a straight face. It was just fun. Would I ever try to get someone like you or my husband to watch it? Hell, no. But I enjoyed it.

It's like when I come on here and say some movie was horrible, and five people immediately jump in to say that you just have to turn your mind off. That it's mindless fun. I can't do that with a movie like Transformers, but I could totally do that with General Hospital. And there are so many factors that affected my liking of that show, some of which I've listed.

Well, one day, I mentioned that I liked this show in front of my BIL. He, immediately, without hesitation, said that people who watch soap operas are dumb. That was the end of that conversation. :lol:

TL:DR - You don't like Friends, and that's okay. :D
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:57 pm

We all watched soaps in college. Big, bitter battle between GH and Guiding Light. All My Children was a favorite. Over at Mrs. T's dorm, it got so bad that they had policy in the TV lounges: In on lounge the TV was to remain on ABC from noon to 4:00pm. In the other lounge the channel must stay on CBS.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:57 pm

Thumper wrote:We all watched soaps in college. Big, bitter battle between GH and Guiding Light. All My Children was a favorite. Over at Mrs. T's dorm, it got so bad that they had policy in the TV lounges: In on lounge the TV was to remain on ABC from noon to 4:00pm. In the other lounge the channel must stay on CBS.

That. Is. Awesome! :lol:
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:03 pm

The only "soap opera" I can recall really watching was Dark Shadows. Unless you count "Dallas". Which was an evening prime time soap. I always kept coming back hoping to see JR Ewing get what was coming to him. Until I figured out that the script writers were shallow materially motivated bastards who were never going to give the viewer the satisfaction. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:47 pm

Guiding Light >>>> General Hospital. That's all I can say. And only because I never watched GH. :D I loved GL until the end a few years ago!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:08 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:Guiding Light >>>> General Hospital. That's all I can say. And only because I never watched GH. :D I loved GL until the end a few years ago!
I went the other way. Probably because Mrs. T was a GH watcher, so I ended up switching. :P
(Hey PPi, check your PM's)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby squ1d » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:02 am

Ah, so that's what All My Circuits was inspired by.
squ1d

Postby squ1d » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:04 am

This is my favourite Soap.
squ1d

PreviousNext

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments