Cool concert experiences

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Re: Cool concert experiences

Postby Thumper » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:36 am

I actually recognize more artists from Saturday. But I like Grace Potter.
Just recently heard about a fest in Columbus this summer called PromoWest Fest. I need to look up the lineup to see if that might be worthwhile. Also Mrs. T just found out that the Austin City Limits Fest will be happening in October at the same time we're there for her conference. So we're awaiting that lineup announcement.

Have fun!
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:23 pm

So I looked up the PromoWest Fest. A few artists I might get interested in. Many I'm not familiar with at all. Unfortunately, at these multi-day events, they spread the good talent across the weekend so in order to see who you want, you have to buy a weekend pass. In addition to wiping out a whole weekend it wipes out your bank account. I think weekend passes for this deal are going for 200-400 bucks. :shock:
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:10 pm

Thumper wrote:... are going for 200-400 bucks. :shock:

And that's before they hit you for food.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:51 pm

Swift wrote:
Thumper wrote:... are going for 200-400 bucks. :shock:

And that's before they hit you for food.

I bet the scalper prices empty your wallet and take out a 2nd mortgage on your house. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:52 pm

That's usually what you have to do to get a couple beers at one of these deals now days....
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:11 pm

Went to a triple bill at our local cozy outdoor venue. The headliner is a band The Kid really likes. I think she's seen them 3-4 times already. Tickets to the show were one of her birthday presents. A couple of her school mates were going so she was going to meet up with them, ditch the old parents and have a good time. Mrs. T and roamed around the venue as the opening act took the stage. We end up down in the pit off to the side for the second act. Then the headliner came on. I'm warm to them but they're not my favorite. When I told people we were heading to a concert this weekend, every single one said the same thing, "Who?, never heard of them."

Yet there we were shoulder to shoulder with hundreds of screaming, jumping fans, having the time of their lives, singing every single word of every single song. I could feel the power of the music, even when it's not my music. That was a new revelation for me.

Oh, The Kid and her friends had a blast. 8-)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:17 pm

Awesome. That brings back memories.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:33 pm

Thumper wrote:Went to a triple bill at our local cozy outdoor venue. The headliner is a band The Kid really likes. I think she's seen them 3-4 times already. Tickets to the show were one of her birthday presents. A couple of her school mates were going so she was going to meet up with them, ditch the old parents and have a good time. Mrs. T and roamed around the venue as the opening act took the stage. We end up down in the pit off to the side for the second act. Then the headliner came on. I'm warm to them but they're not my favorite. When I told people we were heading to a concert this weekend, every single one said the same thing, "Who?, never heard of them."

Yet there we were shoulder to shoulder with hundreds of screaming, jumping fans, having the time of their lives, singing every single word of every single song. I could feel the power of the music, even when it's not my music. That was a new revelation for me.

Oh, The Kid and her friends had a blast. 8-)

Very cool! Not my scene - concerts that is - But I can still appreciate the vibe. ;)
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:20 am

What was neat, was that I could appreciate THEIR vibe.
I was moved just seeing them enjoy the moment.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:32 pm

Swift wrote::rockon:

Of course now I'm going to be re-running "25 or 6 to 4" in my brain for the rest of the afternoon.

The first time I heard that song was my senior year in high school, when we played it in marching band. We had a whole set of Chicago songs. Later in the season we played songs by Styx.

It was a new band director. We could easily tell what genre of music he listed to. In 1993, that was sooooo lame.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:33 pm

Wow, I'm late coming to this thread. When I clicked on it that was my first "new" post and I didn't realize it was from two months ago!
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:05 pm

That's okay, we'll give you time to catch up.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:05 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:

Of course now I'm going to be re-running "25 or 6 to 4" in my brain for the rest of the afternoon.

The first time I heard that song was my senior year in high school, when we played it in marching band. We had a whole set of Chicago songs. Later in the season we played songs by Styx.

It was a new band director. We could easily tell what genre of music he listed to. In 1993, that was sooooo lame.

Funny you should say that. When I was in high school band (this would be '72 to '76), we got probably the same set of Chicago songs for band. And since that album came out in 1970, I don't think it was lame yet.

I particularly liked "25 or 6 to 4" because the beginning da-da, da-da, da was all tuba and trombones (I played the tuba).

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:42 pm

Swift wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:

Funny you should say that. When I was in high school band (this would be '72 to '76), we got probably the same set of Chicago songs for band. And since that album came out in 1970, I don't think it was lame yet.

I particularly liked "25 or 6 to 4" because the beginning da-da, da-da, da was all tuba and trombones (I played the tuba).

Yeah, that was cool. Then the big Whaaaa-whaaa from the trumpets....

I played the tenor sax. I don't think I had any good parts.

Tuba--awesome. But was it actually a tuba, or the really big sousaphone that everyone calls a tuba?
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:13 pm

Oh, I got my @ss chewed out by The Kid mistaking tuba for sousaphone. It made no difference when I pleaded that they played the same part. :P

She's played flute in concert and pep band for years. When she wanted to get into jazz band, the director said they were going to be short on tenor sax's in the years to come, so she learned tenor. Then she started playing piccolo in pep band (play at basketball and football games, and pep rally's.) Then their best clarinetist was going to be absent for a performance because she was going to be playing in a national competition. So The Kid learned the clarinet parts on a 20 dollar instrument she bought at a flea market. Two weeks ago she came home with the sousaphone that she's going to learn over the summer. I asked her why. She said she's going to play it in pep band. "But what about flute and piccolo?" Nobody can here those at a football game. They'll hear me playing this. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:34 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:Tuba--awesome. But was it actually a tuba, or the really big sousaphone that everyone calls a tuba?

I was never any kind of musician, but other than shape, what is the difference? I played the double B flat tuba and the double B flat Sousaphone (when I needed to march) and they had the same fingering and pretty much the same sound. Our marching band could barely play music, let alone walk and play at the same time, so our marching was limited, as was my use of the Sousaphone.

google, google, google.... I love the Internet
http://www.beginband.com/tuba.shtml
The difference between sousaphones and tubas is very small. They both play the same notes and use the same valve configuration. Other than the obvious shape difference, the other difference is similar to the difference between a trumpet and cornet. The tubing of the tuba and cornet are more cone shaped or “conical” than the sousaphone and trumpet.

Professional level tubas include different sizes and different pitched instruments. They usually include four or even five valves compared to the three valves of a beginning tuba. These include “CC” tubas, Eb (“E” flat) tubas and F tubas. Beginners should start with a BBb (double B flat) tuba or sousaphone.

I guess I played a beginners three valve BBb tuba or Sousaphone.

Swift

Postby Swift » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:41 pm

Thumper wrote:Two weeks ago she came home with the sousaphone that she's going to learn over the summer. I asked her why. She said she's going to play it in pep band. "But what about flute and piccolo?" Nobody can here those at a football game. They'll hear me playing this. :P

8-)

But please advice her, if she doesn't know already, of several downsides of the tuba versus the piccolo. Having carried the tuba on the subway, on buses, and in other vehicles, I can assure her that the piccolo is a lot easier to deal with. Piccolos are also not generally targets for morons with hot dog wrappers and empty soda cups, trying to practice their basketball skills.

If you are ever in Akron around Christmas time, there is a very cool Christmas tuba concert. The sound of 50 or 100 massed tubas playing Jingle Bells is quite impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWSU4PtWpn4

Swift

Postby Thumper » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:24 am

Yeah, I can only guess who's going to help lug that thing around. It looks to be more difficult than hauling around my bike. :P
We have tuba concerts here too. I remember when we used to go to Merry Tuba Christmas. That was back when we were off for break and would go downtown to see it on the capital steps in the middle of the day. Now I can't be bothered to take a half day off work to go see it. :cry: I had a buddy from high school that played in it for a few years. he played at OU in their Marching 110.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:50 pm

Swift wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:Tuba--awesome. But was it actually a tuba, or the really big sousaphone that everyone calls a tuba?

I was never any kind of musician, but other than shape, what is the difference? I played the double B flat tuba and the double B flat Sousaphone (when I needed to march) and they had the same fingering and pretty much the same sound. Our marching band could barely play music, let alone walk and play at the same time, so our marching was limited, as was my use of the Sousaphone.

google, google, google.... I love the Internet
http://www.beginband.com/tuba.shtml
The difference between sousaphones and tubas is very small. They both play the same notes and use the same valve configuration. Other than the obvious shape difference, the other difference is similar to the difference between a trumpet and cornet. The tubing of the tuba and cornet are more cone shaped or “conical” than the sousaphone and trumpet.

Professional level tubas include different sizes and different pitched instruments. They usually include four or even five valves compared to the three valves of a beginning tuba. These include “CC” tubas, Eb (“E” flat) tubas and F tubas. Beginners should start with a BBb (double B flat) tuba or sousaphone.

I guess I played a beginners three valve BBb tuba or Sousaphone.

Yeah--the shape is the difference. Hence, different names. I'm just being pedantic. I would be that way about the trumpet and coronet too.
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:11 pm

You probably get that way about Mass vs. Weight, and Speed vs. Velocity too. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:03 pm

Thumper wrote:You probably get that way about Mass vs. Weight, and Speed vs. Velocity too. :P

There is a very simple kids' song that explains the latter:

I've got speeeeed.....that's how fast I am going
I've got velocityyyyyy.....that's my speed and direction.

I'm on a big wheel, skateboard, motorcycle, race car, rollercoaster, rocketship to outerspace!

Motion
(Keep movin', keep movin', keep movin')

Direction
(Which way, any way, up down, all around)

Acceleration
(Let's go faster)
Acceleration
(Let's go faster)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRb5PSxJerM
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:04 pm

8-)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:09 pm

Went to a nice concert a week and a half ago. It's an almost yearly deal sponsored by a local dinosaur radio station. It used to be called the Wing Zing (lots of local restaurants competing for the best wings). This year it was the Sticky Fingers show. (Lots of food trucks, we try to be like a slow little Portland OR. :P )
First band we saw was a local rock and roll icon who's been playing for years and years. Mrs. T's Father did a couple stints with him over the years on keyboards. I got that feeling a time or two of just enjoying being at live music. Willie looked down off the stage at one point, saw us, gave us a big smile and acknowledged us right in the middle of a guitar solo. It was just kind of sweet. Later, his head roadie came down to talk to someone in front of us, we both said hi, and he asked how Mrs. T's Dad was doing.

The next act was a local blue prodigy. Actually, he's not a prodigy anymore, he's been around a few years and the things he can do with the guitar are phenomenal. Just a 3 piece. I couldn't believe he didn't have any roadies. He was changing out and tuning his own guitars. I think the best moment for me came near the end of his show. What was probably his last song before an "encore," his effects pedal set just went away, along with all his sound. The band stopped. He ran up to the mic and said, "Show's not over, sorry, just give me a second." He bent down, and look at his gear, no way he was going to figure it out in 5 seconds. He quickly unplugs a couple cords and plugs a cable into his amp on the back row. "Looks like we're going to go old school and run a naked feed directly into the Marshall." And this raw, unprocessed, unequalized sound comes screaming out of his amp as he launches into a Zeppelin medley. He didn't get flustered, the crowd stayed with him, and I thought it was brilliant. An unscripted major F up and he just played through it.

Unfortunately, Mrs. T started to get a migraine and it was not aided by the throngs of 40-50 year olds (apparently now the target audience of this "Iconic Rock" stations) just smoking away. I was amazed how many were lighting up. I could tell she wasn't going to rally or get better, so I suggested we leave. We missed the headliner as we left after a long long time Columbus country rock band played a decent, rowdy crowd pleasing set. I saw what I came to see especially Scottie's quick recovery. So it was a good show.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:38 pm

Oh my, I've been doing a poor job reporting.

Back in June we went to LaureLive, an inaugural fundraising outdoor concert event for a local private school (I think one of their alums is a locally well known concert promoter). We went on the Sunday and the big name acts we saw were Elle King and Michael Franti, neither who we had seen before.

Elle King was great, but I was blown away by Michael Franti.

This was the day after the Orlando shooting; when he came out on stage he had a big bunch of flowers that he said he had picked in the fields around the school ("one for each victim"), he did a moment of silence then attached the flowers to his mike stand. But after that quiet moment, the concert was a whirlwind. To describe him as an energetic performer is an understatement. Several times during the concert he came down from the stage, wandered through the crowd, posing for pictures with people, hugging and high-fiving, all the while he is singing. Everyone was up and dancing/singing/clapping along with him. It was a blast.

Other than that, we've been quiet on the music front, until this coming weekend. On Friday we see the Indigo Girls at a local venue (the Kent Stage) - believe it or not I've never seen them live, and then Saturday we are planning to see a local New Orleans style band we like called Cat's On Holiday.

Swift

Postby Thumper » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:41 pm

I'll have to check out Franti. We saw the Indigo Girls years ago and I really loved the show. For whatever reason, we've not seen them again. I'd like to.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

PreviousNext

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments