Binge watching

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Re: Binge watching

Postby Swift » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:00 pm

Whenever I hear the term "binge watching" I imagine watching someone stand in the open refrigerator eating ice cream straight out of the container with a serving spoon.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFi Chick » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:38 am

Currently binge watching "Entourage" with my mom. When it first came out, I thought it was going to be like a reality show. It is now. It is hilarious! I love it. Jeremy Piven is a brilliant actor.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:36 pm

I binged (sort of) Billions. Very solid show. Just about everything Paul Giamatti does is good.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:06 pm

Does the Olympics count?
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:42 pm

Thumper wrote:Does the Olympics count?

Absolutely! If you're in front of the TV for more than two hours, no matter what you're watching, it's a binge. That's my definition anyway. :)
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:55 pm

Then I'm in.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:12 pm

Thumper wrote:Then I'm in.

Awesome. :rockon:
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Parrothead » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:31 pm

A year or two ago, I worked my way through the five seasons of The Six Million Dollar Man, my next round of binge watching the 70's, arrived in the mail today: Charlie's Angels: The Complete Series. 5 seasons, 110 episodes on 20 DVDs. This release came out this week, from Mill Creek Entertainment Packaging box with 10 cardboard sleeves, one DVD in a slot on either side of each sleeve. No extras, 2 hour episodes are syndicated versions split into two parts. I purchased from Amazon. Will give some thoughts once I start watching, I haven't seen any of the episodes since the series ended in '81. Have not seen any of the films or series re-boot.
Parrothead

Postby Loresinger » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:39 pm

Orange is the new black - need to catch up
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:19 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
Thumper wrote:Does the Olympics count?

Absolutely! If you're in front of the TV for more than two hours, no matter what you're watching, it's a binge. That's my definition anyway. :)

If that's the definition, the only binging going on in my house is
--Saturday and Sunday football
--the kids watching Frozen or Pokemon!

The last thing I watched that could come close to binging (I couldn't ever dedicate 2 full hours, but I did get through an entire season on disk in less than 2 weeks) is Parenthood season six. Holy moly, that was a good show. Every episode made me cry.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby geonuc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:30 pm

Parrothead wrote:A year or two ago, I worked my way through the five seasons of The Six Million Dollar Man, my next round of binge watching the 70's, arrived in the mail today: Charlie's Angels: The Complete Series. 5 seasons, 110 episodes on 20 DVDs. This release came out this week, from Mill Creek Entertainment Packaging box with 10 cardboard sleeves, one DVD in a slot on either side of each sleeve. No extras, 2 hour episodes are syndicated versions split into two parts. I purchased from Amazon. Will give some thoughts once I start watching, I haven't seen any of the episodes since the series ended in '81. Have not seen any of the films or series re-boot.

I'm guessing you're the only one here that would think of binge-watching either of those shows.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby geonuc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:34 pm

I re-binged Jessica Jones (because it's awesome), binged the second season of Broadchurch (British version) and am working my way through Stranger Things.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby geonuc » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:54 pm

I see that Narcos Season 2 is out. I'll probably binge that. And Luke Cage comes out at the end of the month. Both on Netflix.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:00 am

geonuc wrote:
Parrothead wrote:A year or two ago, I worked my way through the five seasons of The Six Million Dollar Man, my next round of binge watching the 70's, arrived in the mail today: Charlie's Angels: The Complete Series. 5 seasons, 110 episodes on 20 DVDs. This release came out this week, from Mill Creek Entertainment Packaging box with 10 cardboard sleeves, one DVD in a slot on either side of each sleeve. No extras, 2 hour episodes are syndicated versions split into two parts. I purchased from Amazon. Will give some thoughts once I start watching, I haven't seen any of the episodes since the series ended in '81. Have not seen any of the films or series re-boot.

I'm guessing you're the only one here that would think of binge-watching either of those shows.

I would love to binge watch The Six Million Dollar Man, and for that matter, The Bionic Woman, but, at the moment, I can only binge watch if it's on a streaming service. Once we get to Australia, I can go back to collecting DVDs and BluRays. :D
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:01 am

geonuc wrote:I see that Narcos Season 2 is out. I'll probably binge that. And Luke Cage comes out at the end of the month. Both on Netflix.

Luke Cage at the end of the month? We'll have to binge watch it, because after that, we won't be here anymore. :D
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:40 pm

Forgot, I've also binged Hunted and Outcast.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Parrothead » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:42 am

I've watched the pilot episode and all of S1 of Charlie's Angels, not bad. I only remembered bits. I do have the novelisation of the pilot episode and one other S1 episode, "The Killing Kind".

Some of the guest stars from S1: Tommy Lee Jones and Bo Hopkins (pilot episode). Tom Selleck, Kim Basinger, Frank Gorshin, Ida Lupino, Robert Loggia, Hugh O'Brian.

I laughed a bit, one episode one character thanking Jill, telling her: "You're an Angel" She responds "Thank you for noticing" (or something like that). Remembering, in one of her appearances on TSMDM, Steve Austin tells Farrah's character: "Thanks you're an angel" to which she replies "I am not and you know it! ". :lol:
Parrothead

Postby geonuc » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:51 am

Robert Loggia was in everything back then.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:05 pm

The Man in the High Castle. I binge watched Season 1. Season 2 is coming out in December. Probably won't appeal to the average viewer. I like the idea of "what if". What if the Axis powers had won WWII? How would the world look today? etc.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:24 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:The Man in the High Castle. I binge watched Season 1. Season 2 is coming out in December. Probably won't appeal to the average viewer. I like the idea of "what if". What if the Axis powers had won WWII? How would the world look today? etc.

I saw that it was out on Amazon Prime, and that it was based on a Philip K. Dick story, and MrPi has all of them, so I read that first. I enjoyed it. It had a non-ending, which could leave people unsatisfied, but that's how Dick does it!

So I started watching season 1. It was just so different than the book that I couldn't continue. I'm glad you like it though. Kinda makes me wish I hadn't read the story! Maybe I'll wait a couple years until I've forgotten it all, and start over.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby geonuc » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:59 pm

Do I need to subscribe to Amazon Prime too?
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:51 pm

geonuc wrote:Do I need to subscribe to Amazon Prime too?

Absolutely! If I had to give up all but one service, Amazon Prime is what I would pick. It gives you access to music, movies, television shows and free shipping. It's roughly $100.00 a year, and the shipping alone makes it pay for itself. Can't say enough good about it.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:17 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:

Absolutely! If I had to give up all but one service, Amazon Prime is what I would pick. It gives you access to music, movies, television shows and free shipping. It's roughly $100.00 a year, and the shipping alone makes it pay for itself. Can't say enough good about it.

What she said. We have actually downgraded our cable service because most of the movies we want to watch can be had on Amazon Prime for free or we can rent/buy them for the same $$ or less than going to the store or renting them from the cable company.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:51 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:

What she said. We have actually downgraded our cable service because most of the movies we want to watch can be had on Amazon Prime for free or we can rent/buy them for the same $$ or less than going to the store or renting them from the cable company.

What they said. I signed up for AP years ago just for the free shipping, and I was a student then so I paid only about $40. I think I still do. It was a couple years before I even knew they had a streaming service! I haven't taken much advantage of it, though. Transparent is definitely worth watching. I also watched seasons 1-4 of Parenthood, but the last two were pay-only so I got those from the library.
pumpkinpi

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:05 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:What they said. I signed up for AP years ago just for the free shipping, and I was a student then so I paid only about $40. I think I still do. It was a couple years before I even knew they had a streaming service! I haven't taken much advantage of it, though. Transparent is definitely worth watching. I also watched seasons 1-4 of Parenthood, but the last two were pay-only so I got those from the library.

I can't recommend "Shameless" enough. The first three episodes will make you wonder why I recommended it, but after that, you'll fall in love with the characters. Brilliant writing and acting.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments