Movie Season

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Re: Movie Season

Postby Tarragon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:15 pm

Tarragon wrote:From the original stories it seemed like the theft of the plans was more of a covert operation, not a full blown invasion. (Hope that's not a spoiler.)

I rewatched A New Hope last night and I was wrong, the crawl at the beginning says that rebel ships were striking from a hidden base, and says it was a time of Civil War. Still disappointed in it.
Tarragon

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:37 pm

I believe it was more of a covert spy operation when the were able to steal the plans to the second Death Star in Episode 6.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:05 pm

Thumper wrote:The three of us liked Hidden Figures this weekend. We discussed on the way home that not all of the things depicted in the movie happened IRL, or exactly as shown. And some of the characters may have been completely made up. But it made us think about the historical events and the people in those events. Some looking up/researching will entail, and that's a good thing, right?

Yes, a good thing.

I enjoyed Hidden Figures even if some of it was made up. Not that I know what was made up, mind you. Anything that documents the achievements and contributions of people who haven't been recognized but should have been is a good thing. Good acting, too.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:27 pm

geonuc wrote:Anything that documents the achievements and contributions of people who haven't been recognized but should have been is a good thing.
:cheer:
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Did anyone see "Collateral Beauty"? When we saw the first preview, The Kid and I both were interested. Her interest waned, and then the critics brutalized it. I'm still interested, but I'm the only one. So maybe I guess sometime on TNT or maybe On Demand....

I'd give "Patriot Day" a shot. The Kid might as well. Mrs. T is definitely out. I'm not sure, now that school is back in full swing, when the two of us would find the time to make it out.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:04 pm

Saw "Jackie" last weekend. Honestly, while Natalie Portman was good, it was a bit slow and left me disappointed a bit. I mean, I had great respect coming out of it for Jackie Kennedy and how she dealt with her husband's death, but that's all the movie basically focused on (the only exception being the White House tour she did in 1961). I would have been interested to see more of her life, like how she met Jack, or how the rest of her life went in the ~30 years after her first husband's death, which I don't know much about.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:50 am

For those who have children, are children at heart, or just like feel good fun movies I highly recommend Monster Trucks. Our resident 6 year old gave it 2 thumbs up and he sat through the whole movie. I think Buster and Russter would really like it. :P :cheer:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:39 pm

We saw the preview for that before Hidden Figures. There were actually previews for several children's movies. I was disappointed that I didn't like any of them. I'm not sure if it's because The Kid is transitioning towards adulthood and she isn't as interested in those types of movies anymore. There seemed to be a time period when those "kids" movies were awesome: Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Nemo, even the Incredibles. They were safe and entertaining for kids, original, and also had something for adults. I don't see that anymore. Secret Life of Pets was evil and depressing. Many of the Disney movies have a similar theme of a lead character who's lost a parent and must fight with someone truly evil. Other movies seem like extended commercials for products that already exist, or rehashes of previous extended commercials: Trolls, Smurfs, and PowerRangers.

Maybe I'll give Trucks a look.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:54 pm

Thumper wrote:We saw the preview for that before Hidden Figures. There were actually previews for several children's movies. I was disappointed that I didn't like any of them. I'm not sure if it's because The Kid is transitioning towards adulthood and she isn't as interested in those types of movies anymore. There seemed to be a time period when those "kids" movies were awesome: Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Nemo, even the Incredibles. They were safe and entertaining for kids, original, and also had something for adults. I don't see that anymore. Secret Life of Pets was evil and depressing. Many of the Disney movies have a similar theme of a lead character who's lost a parent and must fight with someone truly evil. Other movies seem like extended commercials for products that already exist, or rehashes of previous extended commercials: Trolls, Smurfs, and PowerRangers.

Rose tinted glasses. Seriously. As a kid that was the period of the "Disney Renaissance" with Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, etc. So we remember those movies that were the one great kid movie of the year, not the ones that were more common.

Same now- Zootopia earlier this year was actually kickass and had an incredibly deep social commentary, and I hear Moana is excellent. But I'm sure when your kid is in that age bracket, parents still sometimes suffer when there is literally only one age appropriate movie in the theater and it's crap.
Rommie

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Rommie wrote:
Thumper wrote:We saw the preview for that before Hidden Figures. There were actually previews for several children's movies. I was disappointed that I didn't like any of them. I'm not sure if it's because The Kid is transitioning towards adulthood and she isn't as interested in those types of movies anymore. There seemed to be a time period when those "kids" movies were awesome: Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Nemo, even the Incredibles. They were safe and entertaining for kids, original, and also had something for adults. I don't see that anymore. Secret Life of Pets was evil and depressing. Many of the Disney movies have a similar theme of a lead character who's lost a parent and must fight with someone truly evil. Other movies seem like extended commercials for products that already exist, or rehashes of previous extended commercials: Trolls, Smurfs, and PowerRangers.

Rose tinted glasses. Seriously. As a kid that was the period of the "Disney Renaissance" with Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, etc. So we remember those movies that were the one great kid movie of the year, not the ones that were more common.

Same now- Zootopia earlier this year was actually kickass and had an incredibly deep social commentary, and I hear Moana is excellent. But I'm sure when your kid is in that age bracket, parents still sometimes suffer when there is literally only one age appropriate movie in the theater and it's crap.

We saw Secret Life of Pets at Buster's request. He ended up hating it, but he can't quite explain why. I didn't like it, mostly because it was boring.

Yes, Zootopia was awesome! And we'll see Moana eventually.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:27 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:We saw Secret Life of Pets at Buster's request. He ended up hating it, but he can't quite explain why. I didn't like it, mostly because it was boring.
I thought I was going to love it. The depiction of certain personalities of different pets was hilarious. And the notion that pets have a separate life away from their people, a la Toy Story, had traction. But the secret renegade society of evil pets determined to kill all owners was a bit much. I couldn't imagine what 5 year olds would think of it. Especially when billed as a funny, happy go lucky kids movie.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:27 pm

Thumper wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:We saw Secret Life of Pets at Buster's request. He ended up hating it, but he can't quite explain why. I didn't like it, mostly because it was boring.
I thought I was going to love it. The depiction of certain personalities of different pets was hilarious. And the notion that pets have a separate life away from their people, a la Toy Story, had traction. But the secret renegade society of evil pets determined to kill all owners was a bit much. I couldn't imagine what 5 year olds would think of it. Especially when billed as a funny, happy go lucky kids movie.

I absolutely HATE it when they get the marketing wrong! "Nurse Betty" was billed as a comedy. It was not.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:20 pm

Buddy saw "Split" said it knocked his socks off and is a must see. The Kid and I want to go. Mrs. T is complete and definite: "NO."
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:18 pm

Just watched the trailer for "Split" and I might have to agree with Mrs. T.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Tarragon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:35 am

Any idea who will be "The Last Jedi" come next December?

Obvious thought is Luke, but could there be someone left over from before Order 66?
Tarragon

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:39 pm

Tarragon wrote:Any idea who will be "The Last Jedi" come next December?

Obvious thought is Luke, but could there be someone left over from before Order 66?
Jar Jar?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Manchester by the Sea: I'm conflicted - this is a really well-acted movie with great writing, but I didn't like the ending.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:33 pm

geonuc wrote:Manchester by the Sea: I'm conflicted - this is a really well-acted movie with great writing, but I didn't like the ending.

Still haven't gotten a chance to see it. Still want to.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:31 pm

Thumper wrote:
geonuc wrote:Manchester by the Sea: I'm conflicted - this is a really well-acted movie with great writing, but I didn't like the ending.

Still haven't gotten a chance to see it. Still want to.

You should. Casey Affleck is phenomenal.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 pm

Mrs. T and I caught Manchester at 5 dollar night while The Kid was at flute practice. Not sure enjoy is quite the word but it was really, really good. I was actually, visibly relieved at the ending. Between wondering how much more sad it could get for him and your dislike for the ending, I feared the worst. I'm not sure how else it could have ended. I would be interested in discussing though it would have to be somewhere safe for spoilers. There were many things that were interesting that could have been taken multiple ways or hinted at events that weren't actually shown. As long and slow and sad as it was, it left me wanting to see it again.

I really didn't know anything about Affleck other than the name, but I thought that he was (yes, your word) phenomenal. I could feel every ounce of his anguish. The cut knuckles scene affected both of us physically because of an incident in my past.

If anything, I enjoyed a movie with real character development and story and no CGI, gratuitous $ex, or explosions.*

* Don't get me wrong, I love gratuitous $ex and explosions as much as anyone, but it was nice to see a movie with something more than that.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:48 pm

A few nights ago my bf and I went to go see The Eagle Huntress- definitely worth doing a search to see if they have it in your area! Basically it's a documentary about a girl who lives in rural Mongolia, and comes from a long line of people who hunt with golden eagles. They've previously always been men, but she is determined to be the first girl to do it.

Really amazing scenery/ depiction of daily life in a semi-nomadic family (it's amazing to realize that this is what their life is like today, not decades ago at minimum) and pretty awesome to see a cool girl doing great things if I may say so. :) One thing that struck me as funny btw is they do interviews with all the elder eagle hunters who say girls can't do it... and when she literally sets records at being kickass with her eagle, they say "oh, but I'm sure she won't be able to hunt, girls can't handle the cold!" and such BS. Idiots move goalposts everywhere I guess!
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks for the Rec. Sounds worth checking out.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:32 pm

It is- [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfi5JS6HTH0]here's the trailer[/quote].

Also fun, Daisy Ridley narrates it. :)
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Not Daisy Ridley?!
The Star Wars fan boys will be flocking to it! :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:10 am

I just went to see Manchester by the Sea (my wife really wanted to see it).

I don't recall a movie that was so boring, depressing, and made me more anxious, all at the same time.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

PreviousNext

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments