Binge watching

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Re: Binge watching

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:42 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:What they said. I signed up for AP years ago just for the free shipping, and I was a student then so I paid only about $40. I think I still do. It was a couple years before I even knew they had a streaming service! I haven't taken much advantage of it, though. Transparent is definitely worth watching. I also watched seasons 1-4 of Parenthood, but the last two were pay-only so I got those from the library.

I can't recommend "Shameless" enough. The first three episodes will make you wonder why I recommended it, but after that, you'll fall in love with the characters. Brilliant writing and acting.

Thanks! I've been looking for something new to get into. This week I watched the premier of "This is Us" on NBC (you know, one of those network-thingies where you have to wait a whole week to see a new episode!) because it's gotten some pretty good reviews. I enjoyed the episode, but--trying not to spoil it--it was really good as a stand alone, but didn't interest me enough to keep watching, to keep learning about the characters.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:17 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:(you know, one of those network-thingies where you have to wait a whole week to see a new episode!)
Just do a series record on your DVR and binge watch to your heart's content once they've all been recorded. :P
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:11 pm

Thumper wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:(you know, one of those network-thingies where you have to wait a whole week to see a new episode!)
Just do a series record on your DVR and binge watch to your heart's content once they've all been recorded. :P

I've done this. :lol: But I don't have cable anymore, so it's Netflix, Amazon, Hulu or nothin'!
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:14 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:What they said. I signed up for AP years ago just for the free shipping, and I was a student then so I paid only about $40. I think I still do. It was a couple years before I even knew they had a streaming service! I haven't taken much advantage of it, though. Transparent is definitely worth watching. I also watched seasons 1-4 of Parenthood, but the last two were pay-only so I got those from the library.

I can't recommend "Shameless" enough. The first three episodes will make you wonder why I recommended it, but after that, you'll fall in love with the characters. Brilliant writing and acting.

Thanks! I've been looking for something new to get into. This week I watched the premier of "This is Us" on NBC (you know, one of those network-thingies where you have to wait a whole week to see a new episode!) because it's gotten some pretty good reviews. I enjoyed the episode, but--trying not to spoil it--it was really good as a stand alone, but didn't interest me enough to keep watching, to keep learning about the characters.

Ah... you won't have that problem with this show. William H. Macy is so damn brilliant. And the young woman that plays his oldest daughter actually had this amazing musical theater career before doing this show. The guy that created it (the British version) clearly based it on his own life, and John Wells has Americanized it really well. I could do a whole subject on this show - it deals with class issues, addiction, mental illness, and plain old survival, and most of the time, it's hilarious while doing it. I particularly love Kevin and Viv. Just ignore the full monty in the first episode. They don't do that all the time. :D
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:52 pm

Thumper wrote:

No DVR, no cable. No Hulu, no Netflix. If we don't watch something first-run, and/or it's not on a network, we have to wait until we can buy/borrow the box set!
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:52 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:

Ah... you won't have that problem with this show. William H. Macy is so damn brilliant. And the young woman that plays his oldest daughter actually had this amazing musical theater career before doing this show. The guy that created it (the British version) clearly based it on his own life, and John Wells has Americanized it really well. I could do a whole subject on this show - it deals with class issues, addiction, mental illness, and plain old survival, and most of the time, it's hilarious while doing it. I particularly love Kevin and Viv. Just ignore the full monty in the first episode. They don't do that all the time. :D

Why would I want to ignore it? ;)
pumpkinpi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:29 am

pumpkinpi wrote:
Thumper wrote:

No DVR, no cable. No Hulu, no Netflix. If we don't watch something first-run, and/or it's not on a network, we have to wait until we can buy/borrow the box set!

OMG!!! How do you live like that?! :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:30 am

pumpkinpi wrote:Why would I want to ignore it? ;)

Well, you probably don't. But I thought maybe it was just me. :lol:
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:35 am

Sparked by a mention by Fisher not long ago, I'm making my way through True Blood.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:43 am

BBC often has either Star Trek TOS or TNG back to back for hours. Once I turn to it, I can't turn away. Does that count?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:18 pm

geonuc wrote:Sparked by a mention by Fisher not long ago, I'm making my way through True Blood.

LOVE that show. First season, very scary. From there, they get progressively humorous. The vampires don't sparkle. :D
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:19 pm

Thumper wrote:BBC often has either Star Trek TOS or TNG back to back for hours. Once I turn to it, I can't turn away. Does that count?

Absolutely. I've had that happen, on occasion, with certain reality shows. It's never intentional. It's like eating certain kinds of potato chips. You can't have just one, and it's never good for you. :lol:
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby grapes » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:09 pm

squ1d wrote:Stranger Things!

Yep. We watched all eight episodes last week. The worst thing I can say about it is that some of it is unbelievable. Not the paranormal stuff, but human behavior.
grapes
Resident News Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:31 am

SciFi Chick wrote:
Thumper wrote:BBC often has either Star Trek TOS or TNG back to back for hours. Once I turn to it, I can't turn away. Does that count?

Absolutely. I've had that happen, on occasion, with certain reality shows. It's never intentional. It's like eating certain kinds of potato chips. You can't have just one, and it's never good for you. :lol:
One potato chip? You mean one BAG?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:41 pm

Thumper wrote:One potato chip? You mean one BAG?

What size bag are we talking here?
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:10 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
Thumper wrote:One potato chip? You mean one BAG?

What size bag are we talking here?

Irrelevant. Once the bag is open, it must be entirely devoured.

Thems the rules.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:41 pm

True that.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:56 pm

Or can. I don't let myself buy pringles more than once a year because I will eat them all in one sitting.
pumpkinpi

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:23 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:Or can. I don't let myself buy pringles more than once a year because I will eat them all in one sitting.

Does it count as one sitting if you make 4 trips in the same day to the cupboard to empty the container? :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Parrothead » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:33 pm

Be it can or bag, they do pretty well get devoured in one binge watching session. At least the ridiculous prices they charge these days, makes it easy not to buy. Though, I will occasionally purchase when they go on sale $1.99/can or 2 bags for $4.

Took a break from CA as some beauty pageant song from an episode got stuck in my head. So I looked for "Salem's Lot" DVDs at the library, they didn't have any in the system. I did notice the final two seasons of "Strike Back" on the shelf, so those seasons have been binge watched.
Parrothead

Postby vendic » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:46 am

pumpkinpi wrote:Or can. I don't let myself buy pringles more than once a year because I will eat them all in one sitting.

I don't buy them anymore. Once I start, there's no stopping!
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:46 pm

vendic wrote:

I don't buy them anymore. Once I start, there's no stopping!

Their jingle was "Once you pop you can't stop". I, of course, am totally immune to this. :liar:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:49 pm

Watched the first episode of Luke Cage. I'll probably binge the rest of them.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby vendic » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:21 am

It's good. We've been binge watching it in the evenings while we still have a HD big screen projector.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:47 am

Luke Cage is so popular that it actually crashed the Netflix server. :lol: I love it!
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments