Binge watching

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Re: Binge watching

Postby geonuc » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:21 pm

Two episodes into Luke Cage and I'm noticing a big difference between it and Jessica Jones in terms of pace. Luke Cage is a bit slow.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:49 pm

geonuc wrote:Two episodes into Luke Cage and I'm noticing a big difference between it and Jessica Jones in terms of pace. Luke Cage is a bit slow.

Funny you should say that. I thought the same thing about both shows actually, and on imdb message boards, the consensus is that Daredevil and Luke Cage are awesome, but they didn't like Jessica Jones. The top complaints are "too slow" and they don't like the actress that was cast for the part.

For the record, Luke Cage picks up and we're really enjoying it. I look forward to hearing how you feel about it.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:05 pm

I think Krysten Ritter is a great Jessica Jones and the show itself is one of my all-time favorites. No small part due to David Tennant, of course.

Luke Cage is certainly good enough for me to carry on and I'm glad you say it picks up.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby vendic » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:40 pm

LC is trying to be part now and part origin story. It's doing ok in both but it struggles in some episodes with all that and trying to do character development.
Still well worth watching and it does pick up pace.

I have no idea why JJ is on peoples bad list. I really liked the show. I however also like the actress from another show, the B in apt 23. I think that's what it was.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:53 pm

I absolutely loved JJ as well, but I thought, since I've never read the comics, there might be a reason people don't like the casting. Probably a bit like being dissatisfied with a book being turned into a movie. Something I would love to do. I don't know why Hollywood struggles with that so much, to be honest.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:26 am

geonuc wrote:Two episodes into Luke Cage and I'm noticing a big difference between it and Jessica Jones in terms of pace. Luke Cage is a bit slow.
It's funny, I've never heard of Luke Cage or Michael Colter. Yesterday, while mowing, I heard an NPR interview with Colter. Actually made me slightly interested in watching the show and seeing what else Colter has been in. What timing.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:06 pm

OK, I finished Luke Cage. It's OK, not great. I don't like the final fight scene and I don't like how it ended. I didn't like a few other things but don't want to spoil it for others.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:52 pm

geonuc wrote:OK, I finished Luke Cage. It's OK, not great. I don't like the final fight scene and I don't like how it ended. I didn't like a few other things but don't want to spoil it for others.

We could totally start a spoiler conversation somewhere else, because something tells me we agree and it would be a fun rant.

I'm really looking forward to "The Defenders." Hopefully, they will fix some shit up in that.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby pumpkinpi » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:18 am

Judith Light singing Alanis Morissette.

If that piques your interest at all, go binge watch Transparent on Amazon Prime. You have to get all the way to the end--episode 10, season 3, but it's worth it. I just finished season 3 in about 3 sittings. I can't believe how quickly I got through it.

I've talked about this show here before. It can be painful to watch at times but oh my god. There is nothing like it. It's not for everyone. I didn't think it would be for me.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:25 pm

I've been watching tons of Star Trek TNG. It's on BBC all the time.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:35 am

I am still currently raising a 6 year old, working full time for the VA, and working part time ( ha ha ha ha) for the Army Reserve. WTH is this binge watching and television thing you keep speaking of. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:42 am

SciFiFisher wrote:I am still currently raising a 6 year old, working full time for the VA, and working part time ( ha ha ha ha) for the Army Reserve. WTH is this binge watching and television thing you keep speaking of. :P

When you get a day off where you have nothing to do, sit in front of the TV for several hours and watch several episodes of the same show. It's awesome. :D
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:43 am

The other version of binge watching is to watch the same show every night until you're finished.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:43 am

A television is the device I get to fall asleep to watching in the evenings on those rare occurrences when The Kid has enough homework to keep her from commandeering the remote and bingewatching HER shows of choice.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:46 am

Thumper wrote:A television is the device I get to fall asleep to watching in the evenings on those rare occurrences when The Kid has enough homework to keep her from commandeering the remote and bingewatching HER shows of choice.

:lol: - You might need more than one television. Although, I'm quite content streaming content on my laptop. I don't fall asleep doing that, however.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:21 pm

I've got a nice tube TV in the basement. It's where I usually end up watching football games.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:07 pm

I'm about halfway through S3 of Charlie's Angels. 10 DVDs down, 10 to go. Some of the guest stars from S2 and S3 : Jamie Lee Curtis, Casey Kasem, Ray Wise, Robert Urich, Scatman Crothers, Dean Martin, Stephen Collins, Jonathan Frakes, Anne Francis, Lurene Tuttle, Jackie Stewart. Farrah Fawcett makes a couple of her mandated appearances, for being let out of her contract.

A couple of nitpicks: The curb is painted red in front of Townsend Investigations, yet "The Angels" keep parking their cars there. On occasion not all three cars are there. Are they being ticketed and towed costing Charlie? In a S3 episode, a parking lot for the building is shown. In the episode "Angel On My Mind", Kris has amnesia after being hit a car. She does not show up at the office, the next morning, yet the shot of the exterior shows her car parked out front. A scene or two later, the others find her locked car in the parking lot of the restaurant, where they had a meal the previous afternoon. LOL!

One of the best episodes of S2 has to be "The Sandcastle Murders".
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:25 pm

Wooow, are we now nitpicking plot inconsistencies in Charlie's Angels?! :lol:
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:01 am

Thumper wrote:Wooow, are we now nitpicking plot inconsistencies in Charlie's Angels?! :lol:

One of the side effects of binge watching is that you start noticing inconsistencies that you probably wouldn't notice while watching week to week. :D
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:36 pm

Did I mention that we're talking about Charlie's Angels?! :P

Though it makes me feel kind of proud when I caught that they blew up a different car in the Rockford Files than the one he drove every episode. He drove a gold Firebird. In one episode, they blew it up. IIRC, the car in flames was either a different year Pontiac or was actually a Camaro. No DVR, slo mo, or replay involved! D@mn, what am I going to do with these talents?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby gethen » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:50 pm

I started watching "Supernatural" on Netflix. Not sure why. It isn't terribly well done or compelling, but I can knit and only half watch. And the characters are growing on me.
OTOH, there's "Westworld." Dang!
gethen

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:19 pm

gethen wrote:I started watching "Supernatural" on Netflix. Not sure why. It isn't terribly well done or compelling, but I can knit and only half watch. And the characters are growing on me.

The first season of "Supernatural" is the worst one. They get progressively better until about season 9, and now, we all watch it, because it's like hanging out with old friends. :D

But they definitely get to some pretty compelling stuff.

And they're so tall! Both of them are taller than my husband, and he's 6'1".
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:35 am

gethen wrote:I started watching "Supernatural" on Netflix. Not sure why. It isn't terribly well done or compelling, but I can knit and only half watch. And the characters are growing on me.

I was going to start a thread about Westworld to see if anyone was watching. I know it's on HBO so if you don't have it, you'll be waiting a while to see/rent it. I remember watching the original movie in the mid 70's. Got to see parts of a couple episodes last week from our hotel room in Austin. I thought it had promise and looked like it could be interesting. Maybe I'm getting old and prude but I thought the cussing was gratuitous, as well as the sex and excessive violence. (Yes, I know that gratuitous violence is part of the reason customers pay to go to Westworld.) But in my limited screening, it just seems like every character is an @ss.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:07 pm

I've seen two episodes of Westworld so far. I'm not sure about it yet.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby gethen » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:41 pm

Thumper wrote:

I was going to start a thread about Westworld to see if anyone was watching. I know it's on HBO so if you don't have it, you'll be waiting a while to see/rent it. I remember watching the original movie in the mid 70's. Got to see parts of a couple episodes last week from our hotel room in Austin. I thought it had promise and looked like it could be interesting. Maybe I'm getting old and prude but I thought the cussing was gratuitous, as well as the sex and excessive violence. (Yes, I know that gratuitous violence is part of the reason customers pay to go to Westworld.) But in my limited screening, it just seems like every character is an @ss.

I agree--could do without some of the very graphic violence, especially because it is tied to the sex pretty often. But part of the attraction is just wondering what's really going on. I'm hoping there's more to the story than seeing the same people get killed two or three times in every episode.
gethen

PreviousNext

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments