Prince dead

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Prince dead

Postby vendic » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:12 pm

Posting this so Thumper isn't always the one bearing bad news.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/21/prince-dead-at-57/
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Re: Prince dead

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:54 pm

This is devastating to the folks in Minnesota. I'm saddened, but not to the extreme of many around me.

His peak to me was in the Raspberry Beret/Little Red Corvette/Kiss/Let's Go Crazy/When the Doves Cry/Purple Rain days. Those are the ones I specifically remember hearing on the radio when they were hits. Mid to late 80's?

Coincidentally, I just got his greatest hits/b sides* 3CD** set this weekend. I'd been meaning to get it for years. This weekend there were events all around the Twin Cities to honor "local record stores." MrPi planned to take the kids to his favorite, the Electric Fetus. I had to work so I told him to buy me a cd--and that's what I suggested. So I've been listening to Prince all week.

*nobody under 30 will have any idea of what a b side is. 35, even.
**yes, I still buy those. we are looking at new cars, and some don't even have a cd player as an option. We are crossing those off our list!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby vendic » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:08 am

SFC was friends with his former spokeswoman. Ginger, Diamond, Maryanne, or some thing like that.
One of the women that was on Buffy the vampire slayer for a season.
I never cared that much for his music and thought he was weird but I know a lot of people that near worshiped him.

I know what a B side is, I am older than you though. :P
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:56 am

Please kids. I remember listening to 8 tracks and LP's. ;)
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:21 am

Reel to Reel!
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:31 am

I couldn't bring myself to log back on and post yesterday after I got the message from Mrs. T. I don't think I can call myself a "fan." But EVERYONE went to see Purple Rain many times, and the dorm parties featured "Purple Rain," an adult beverage consisting of grape cool aid, everclear,* and dry ice.

After a while you cannot deny the musical creativity and the influence he had on so many other artists. Some of the pop songs you may like by other artists were written by him. And he was a consummate performer, giving the audience everything he had, whether it was in a Superbowl stadium full of football fans, or in a hotel suite for 50 people.
I am sad.
I'm just tired of people dying.** Whether it's people I know, people my friends know, or people everybody knows.

* Near pure grain alcohol
** Yeah, I know, its probably going to keep happening
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:50 pm

Thumper wrote:Reel to Reel!

Don't forget their little cousins the cassette tape. LOL
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:32 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:
Thumper wrote:Reel to Reel!

Don't forget their little cousins the cassette tape. LOL

I swapped trucks with a buddy a couple weekends ago. I needed his dump truck and he needed to still get around all weekend. He was picking up his son from soccer practice, who said, "Hey Daddy, what's that, is that one of those tapey things?"
Yes my pickup has a tape deck and I was listening to tapes on it last week.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:39 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:Please kids. I remember listening to 8 tracks and LP's. ;)

What do you mean "remember", I still listen to my LPs. I no longer have a device to play 8 tracks, but I still have a cassette deck, though it has been a little while since I used it.

As to Prince, the most shocking thing for me is that he was only a couple months older than me. :?
I like his stuff, but was never a big fan. I do recall in college that there were a couple of girls I know that were crazy about him.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFi Chick » Sun May 01, 2016 2:38 am

Thumper wrote:After a while you cannot deny the musical creativity and the influence he had on so many other artists. Some of the pop songs you may like by other artists were written by him. And he was a consummate performer, giving the audience everything he had, whether it was in a Superbowl stadium full of football fans, or in a hotel suite for 50 people.
I am sad.
I'm just tired of people dying.** Whether it's people I know, people my friends know, or people everybody knows.

This sums it up for me. I'll just add that I think one of the marks of a great artist is when just about anyone can find at least one song by that artist that they like.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Sun May 01, 2016 2:39 am

vendic wrote:SFC was friends with his former spokeswoman. Ginger, Diamond, Maryanne, or some thing like that.
One of the women that was on Buffy the vampire slayer for a season.
I never cared that much for his music and thought he was weird but I know a lot of people that near worshiped him.

I know what a B side is, I am older than you though. :P

I can never remember if she was Diamond or Pearl. I only know that he was responsible for launching her career and a conversion to religion was responsible for killing it. *sigh*
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Parrothead » Thu May 05, 2016 6:42 pm

That was another hit. Just the number of artists gone in the past 6 months. Those mentioned in other threads plus Paul Kantner, one of the founders of Jefferson Airplane and Keith Emerson, too.

Prince, liked some of his 80's stuff. He had a local connection, owning a mansion of Bridle Path (a rich area of Toronto), while he was married to someone from the surrounding area, early 2000's. He recorded parts of his "musicology" album just outside Toronto. He performed two "pop-up concerts" in Toronto, on Good Friday.

ETA: I still listen to my lps and some cassettes, too.
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Fri May 06, 2016 11:36 am

All good music lovers still listen to their classic cassettes and LP's. ;)
When we were losing our music artists so fast, I couldn't remember if someone even mentioned Kantner and Emerson. Saw Kantner live, only got to see Emerson on Palladia at one of those huge European mega concerts as an ELP reunion. As I revisit the music of my youth, I realize more and more how progressive some of the bands I liked were: ELP, Yes, Rush. I just thought they were "Rock."
Can you call Prince "progressive" in some context?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri May 06, 2016 2:33 pm

Thumper wrote:All good music lovers still listen to their classic cassettes and LP's. ;)
When we were losing our music artists so fast, I couldn't remember if someone even mentioned Kantner and Emerson. Saw Kantner live, only got to see Emerson on Palladia at one of those huge European mega concerts as an ELP reunion. As I revisit the music of my youth, I realize more and more how progressive some of the bands I liked were: ELP, Yes, Rush. I just thought they were "Rock."
Can you call Prince "progressive" in some context?

Well, he did think he was Mister Mxyzptlk or some other unpronounceable name for a while.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri May 06, 2016 5:50 pm

Yes but is that progressive, or a creative way to work out contractual issues with your record label? :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri May 06, 2016 8:36 pm

Thumper wrote:Yes but is that progressive, or a creative way to work out contractual issues with your record label? :P

touché!
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments