Tom Hanks

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Tom Hanks

Postby Thumper » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:38 pm

I've been listening to some new and not so new interviews with Hanks coinciding with the recent release of his movie, Sully, and the upcoming release of his new one, Inferno, and I thought about starting this thread. If anyone is interested, what are your top 5 Tom Hanks' movies? Any order, no justification or explanation needed, but feel free to elaborate if you want.

A second exercise, name as many movies/TV shows that you can that have Hanks in them.* I'll wait and see if anyone wants to play along.

*Goto IMDB for research if you want. But it would also be fun to see how many movies we miss if we just go off the top of our heads.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Tom Hanks

Postby geonuc » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:07 pm

Before checking imdb:
You've Got Mail (because Meg Ryan)
Apollo 13
Philadelphia
Saving Private Ryan
Forrest Gump

After checking:
Sleepless in Seattle (because Meg Ryan)
Charlie Wilson's War
Turner & Hootch
Toy Story
Castaway
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:27 pm

Haven't been to imdb yet:

Big
That show where he pretended to be a woman in order to get an apartment.
Splash
Bachelor Party
Philadelphia (which I never saw, 'cause I don't like sad movies)
Volunteers!
Forrest Gump
Apollo 13
Some airport movie that I haven't seen yet, but he's trapped in an airport.
Castaway

After IMDB: It would be silly for me to list his movies from IMDB. Before, I was listing them from memory. My memory obviously sucks, so now I'm using IMDB to give you my top five favorites even if I didn't remember them without a reminder. In no particular order:

Toy Story
Big
The Green Mile
Sleepless in Seattle
The Money Pit
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:10 am

I spent about 5 minutes thinking and came up with this list as my top 5. A little non-traditional in three cases.

No order.

Apollo 13
From the Earth to the Moon. (Executive producer of an Apollo program documentary)
Passport to the Universe (The new Hayden Planetarium's first show circa 2000, which he narrated.)
Bosom Buddies (TV show)
Big

The others I came up with are
JoevsVolcano
Sleepless in Seattle
Cast Away
Forrest Gump
Philadelphia
That thing you do
DaVinci code
You've got mail

I was only listing ones I've seen.

Now I'll go see what I've missed, which may alter my top 5.
Last edited by pumpkinpi on Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:14 am

All I would add to this list are The Green Mile and maybe A League of Their Own. Caveat is I've seen very few of his dramas in the past decade, even back to Band of Brothers, so if I'd seen them I'm sure this list would be different.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:11 am

For dramatic acting my top two are Saving Private Ryan and The Green Mile.

Sleepless in Seattle is one of my favorite Romantic Comedies.

The Road to Perdition is an amazing movie. Spoiler Alert: It is NOT a comedy.

The movie in which he plays a person who does not have a passport (or a Visa) and is stuck in limbo at an airport is called "The Terminal". It's amazingly good in many ways.

One that I thought was very interesting in the character development arena was "Saving Mr. Banks". It's about Walt Disney and how he wooed PL Travers (she wrote Mary Poppins) and what he went through to get the movie rights to make Mary Poppins. Emma Thompson plays PL Travers. Apparently Ms Travers had a very traumatic childhood and was most peculiar about what she considered to be proper for her characters. She never actually approved of the movie.

I didn't get much of a chance to do my list from memory. Maybe I should not have read the posts before I started participating. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:56 am

You've just reminded me of two of his movies that I haven't seen but want to. I've been really looking forward to Saving Mr. Banks, and I was on the fence about The Terminal.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:38 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:All I would add to this list are The Green Mile and maybe A League of Their Own. Caveat is I've seen very few of his dramas in the past decade, even back to Band of Brothers, so if I'd seen them I'm sure this list would be different.

I meant Saving Private Ryan, not Band of Brothers, but I haven't seen either, actually!
pumpkinpi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:53 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:All I would add to this list are The Green Mile and maybe A League of Their Own. Caveat is I've seen very few of his dramas in the past decade, even back to Band of Brothers, so if I'd seen them I'm sure this list would be different.

I meant Saving Private Ryan, not Band of Brothers, but I haven't seen either, actually!

He was heavily involved in Band of Brothers. He was one of the principle producers according to wiki.
The series was developed chiefly by Tom Hanks and Erik Jendresen, who spent months detailing the plot outline and individual episodes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_of_B ... miniseries)

He apparently also had a cameo... Technically you were correct in naming Band of Brothers as a Tom Hanks show. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:58 pm

His son is in Band of Brothers. Does that count? After all, he produced his son. ;)
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Parrothead » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:04 pm

Didn't he have a bit part on "Happy Days", playing a bully (IIRC).

Fave movies:

Green Mile
Apollo 13
Forrest Gump
Splash

Was he in "The Burbs", a clunker of a movie. But I recall Gordon Gale's character having a picture of Lucy on the wall or fireplace mantel.
Parrothead

Postby Rommie » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:03 pm

Apollo 13
Forrest Gump
Catch Me if you Can
Saving Mr. Banks
Sleepless in Seattle

Honestly, if I ever happened to meet the guy I'd have to thank him for Apollo 13. It made a young 7 year old think a lot about space in a fairly influential way. :)
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:12 pm

Parrothead wrote:Didn't he have a bit part on "Happy Days", playing a bully (IIRC).

Fave movies:

Green Mile
Apollo 13
Forrest Gump
Splash

Was he in "The Burbs", a clunker of a movie. But I recall Gordon Gale's character having a picture of Lucy on the wall or fireplace mantel.

Yes. He was definitely in "The Burbs". Yes, I unfortunately saw it in the theater. :lol:
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Parrothead » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:07 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
Parrothead wrote:Didn't he have a bit part on "Happy Days", playing a bully (IIRC).

Fave movies:

Green Mile
Apollo 13
Forrest Gump
Splash

Yes. He was definitely in "The Burbs". Yes, I unfortunately saw it in the theater. :lol:

My sis won passes to a preview screening of "The Burbs", so I didn't have to pay to see it. Oops, that should be Gale Gordon (Mr. Mooney), not Gordon Gale. I googled Tom Hanks and Happy Days, S10 ep 5, he played a black belt karate expert who held a grudge against Fonzie, since grade 3, and wanted to fight him.
Parrothead

Postby Swift » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:04 pm

In no conscious order and without much thinking about

Apollo 13
Catch Me if you Can
A League of Their Own (my two favorite baseball movie lines)
Toy Story franchise
Saving Private Ryan
Green Mile

Ok, that's six, but whatever.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:52 pm

Swift wrote:A League of Their Own (my two favorite baseball movie lines)

"There's no crying in baseball!" Was that one? :D
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:54 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:

If it isn't it should be. :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:00 pm

This is wonderful. With each post, I was like, "Oh yeah, I hope I would have remembered that movie. He's been in a bunch of good ones. I wonder if we could do a 6 degrees of Tom Hanks. :P

I'll list my top 5 soon.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:34 pm

Thumper wrote:This is wonderful. With each post, I was like, "Oh yeah, I hope I would have remembered that movie. He's been in a bunch of good ones. I wonder if we could do a 6 degrees of Tom Hanks. :P

I'll list my top 5 soon.

I don't like that game. ScifiChick wins those all the time. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:20 pm

I noticed no one mentioned Captain Phillips.

I guess my top 5* in no order are:
Apollo 13
Saving Private Ryan
Toy Story Franchise
Green Mile
Castaway
Philadelphia

Road to Perdition and Terminal were excellent. Haven't seen That Thing You Do or Captain Phillips yet. I could put Sully there in the top 10. From The Earth To The Moon is about my favorite series of all time. I know Hanks was the host and pushed it through. But I always think of it as Andrew Chaikin's.

* Okay 6 just to be like Swift...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:48 am

SciFiFisher wrote:
Thumper wrote:This is wonderful. With each post, I was like, "Oh yeah, I hope I would have remembered that movie. He's been in a bunch of good ones. I wonder if we could do a 6 degrees of Tom Hanks. :P

I'll list my top 5 soon.

I don't like that game. ScifiChick wins those all the time. :P

:rofl: roll: - I seriously, personally, know someone who grew up with Rita Wilson, so I'm pretty sure I will win this again. :rofl:
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:50 am

Thumper wrote:I noticed no one mentioned Captain Phillips.

I guess my top 5* in no order are:
Apollo 13
Saving Private Ryan
Toy Story Franchise
Green Mile
Castaway
Philadelphia

Road to Perdition and Terminal were excellent. Haven't seen That Thing You Do or Captain Phillips yet. I could put Sully there in the top 10. From The Earth To The Moon is about my favorite series of all time. I know Hanks was the host and pushed it through. But I always think of it as Andrew Chaikin's.

* Okay 6 just to be like Swift...

I really enjoyed Captain Phillips, but it was not exactly a role that required amazing acting, which is probably why it hasn't been mentioned. It was pretty intense, and I do recommend it as a movie, however.

I haven't seen Philadelphia, because I'm a wuss who doesn't like tragedies. :}
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:23 pm

But it's got Antonio Banderas!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:08 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:

Yep.

The other one is from the scene where Geena Davis is leaving the team and she says "It just got too hard" and Hanks responds with: "Its supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great".
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:32 pm

The first quote is more famous and fun to use. But I embrace the second one. 8-)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Next

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments