Amy

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Amy

Postby Thumper » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:41 pm

Finally saw the documentary on Amy Winehouse. I didn't really like it at first. I had trouble understanding the dialog. Start with severe cockney accents, then add in drug induced slurring, and all pretty much shot on crappy cell phone video. I ended up reading most of the movie's sub and sur titles. And they flashed by fast.

But I ended up really feeling sorry for her. The separation of her parents completely enabled her outrageous behavior. Her one loser boyfriend just rode her fame and kept her hooked so he could party. Her father was a total enabler. He's show up to visit her at rehab with a camera crew. And I couldn't imagine all the cell phone video that was in the movie. It seems like her entire life, every second, was recorded in some way. Alot of it was her own doing. But at some point, if you care for her, don't you put down your phone and......care for her.

I, of course know it's easier said than done. We couldn't do anything for my buddy. And he wasn't famous. I know, from personal experience, that you have to take responsibility for, and take control of your own life. She was overwhelmed and unprepared for her fame. In the end, it seemed she was purposely sabotaging her career just so she wouldn't have to make appearances and perform. I thought Tony Bennet came across as very tender and endearing to her. Too bad he couldn't have had more influence in her life. She totally needed someone she could trust that would stay with her and only make decisions in her best interest, her personal best interest. There was a bodyguard that tried. But he didn't have enough influence. Someone would always take her out of rehab and back to the party.

Oh one last thing. I didn't have a very good opinion of her in the beginning. But I learned some about the actual person, and also saw her perform on a star studded musical tribute to the Stratocaster. She was brilliant and enthralling. The paparazzi were absolute vultures, the rest of the media liked to prey on her, make jokes at her expense. I'd like to ask Jay Leno if he thought his jokes about her were still funny now. Made me, again more skeptical an wary of the entertainment media.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Amy

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:18 pm

I've been wondering whether it was worth my time to watch this documentary. I definitely found her compelling as a talent, and now, I will watch it.

You are wise to be skeptical of the entertainment media. They're horrible.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Rommie » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:03 pm

Saw this when it came out in the theater. My recollection was it was at times a little slow, but otherwise definitely a compelling story.

Interesting thing though was I went with some British friends, and they were all quite touched by the film and said things like "I'm still a little sad sometimes that she died." Sorta like how people sound remembering Marilyn Monroe died, or similar- I guess a huge part of it was she was huge in England, and "ordinary," ie not posh, and that can go a long way there.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:38 pm

I'd agree, it was a little slow. The film very meticulously presented her life chronologically. So I guess if you wanted to show a certain time period, you were limited to the cache of video you had access to for that particular time. Whether or not any of it was compelling or not. Watching her appearance change, actually change back and forth, over time, was sobering. And I say that in all honesty as someone who quit drinking a few months ago.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments