Movie Season

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Movie Season

Postby Thumper » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:48 pm

Unexpectedly, for me. There are more than a couple movies out that I would like to see. Often times there is not a single flick in the theatre that I'm interested in. Actually, I've had a pretty good fall.

I saw Sully and Deepwater with The Kid. We both loved both. Saw Dr. Strange with Mrs. T. Well it was stunning, visually....Of course we all saw the Rush movie.
But I want to see:
Arrival
Collateral Beauty
Passengers
Manchester by the Sea
Rogue One

Also want to see
Edge of 17 and
Rules Don't Apply

But I may have missed those in the theatre. That's more movies than I often go to over several years.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Movie Season

Postby geonuc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:10 pm

I missed Deepwater. I'll have to catch that on netflix or wherever. I want to see Doctor Strange and maybe Allied. Being a geek, I guess I have to see Rogue One but I'm hearing bad things. Nocturnal Animals has Amy Adams, so I have to see that.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:45 pm

I read a great review of Nocturnal Animals. I'd be interested. I left Allied off the list as well because I think I'd be the only one in the house who might be interested.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:45 pm

Just watched the trailers on all those. They look really good.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:52 pm

Hacksaw Ridge is on my list.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:06 pm

My sister really enjoyed Hacksaw Ridge. Again, I think I'd be the only one in the household up for that one.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:27 pm

Scratch off Rogue One off my list.
Next!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Three of us liked Passengers. I'd see it again. One of us liked Nocturnal Animals, but The Kid said she's liking it more now that she's not scared $hitless. It reminded me a bit of No Country of Old Men. I thought it was well done.
Everybody but me wants to see Sing. I wish you well...
I still want to see Collateral Beauty and Manchester by the Sea. CB got horrible reviews. The Kid took us to see the movie "Lion" last week. I'd never heard of it. It was devastatingly wonderful. This isn't really a spoiler since it's a fact printed on the screen at the end of the movie, "Each Year 80,000 children go missing in India." 80,000 children. I'm still having trouble grasping that. I guess "Edge of 17" and "Arrival" will have to wait for Redbox or Netflix.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:38 pm

Apparently movies are sooo 2016.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:06 am

Thumper wrote:Apparently movies are sooo 2016.

What's cool in 2017?
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:52 pm

geonuc wrote:
Thumper wrote:Apparently movies are sooo 2016.

What's cool in 2017?

I was just noting that my thread died with the new year.
Did you get a chance to see Amy in Nocturnal Animals? It's not for everybody, but I liked it and thought it was well done.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:23 pm

I haven't seen Nocturnal Animals yet. Might end up watching it at home.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Hidden Figures. It's technically a 2016 movie because it was limited released Dec 25 to be an Oscar contender, but it just came out nationwide.

The reviews I've heard suggests it's not just a movie that will satisfy space geeks--it's uplifting, fun-filled, humorous, and of course a commentary on race.

I saw Rogue One and loved it. So many of the other movies you've listed are ones I want to see, but I will wait for the Blu-Ray release. I knew I had to see Rogue One in the theater!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:35 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:Hidden Figures. It's technically a 2016 movie because it was limited released Dec 25 to be an Oscar contender, but it just came out nationwide.The reviews I've heard suggests it's not just a movie that will satisfy space geeks--it's uplifting, fun-filled, humorous, and of course a commentary on race.
The only bad thing I heard about it was the usual "took too many liberties with artistic license" for a movie "based on a true story."

pumpkinpi wrote:I saw Rogue One and loved it. So many of the other movies you've listed are ones I want to see, but I will wait for the Blu-Ray release. I knew I had to see Rogue One in the theater!
We saw it in 3D! I usually don't get out to movies that much. There's something about being in the theatre, being immersed in the experience with my big tub of popcorn. Not having to worry about folding the laundry and such.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:40 pm

Thumper wrote: The only bad thing I heard about it was the usual "took too many liberties with artistic license" for a movie "based on a true story."

Basically the same complaint about every movie made that is based on true stories. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:52 pm

True That

Already hearing about it for Wahlberg's Patriot's Day. The character he portrays in this "true story" does not even exist.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:55 pm

Thumper wrote:True That

Already hearing about it for Wahlberg's Patriot's Day. The character he portrays in this "true story" does not even exist.

That happens more than people realize. Sometimes it's because Hollywood will combine several real people into one character. They do it for a variety of reasons. One is cost. Another is to tell the story from the perspective of one person which is easier to follow. And sometimes it's better if one character has 10 great lines and scenes vs 10 characters with one great line each.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:58 pm

Yep, yep, and yep. But then if people aren't careful, they get a warped sense of reality, real people, or what really happened. But as they say, "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story."

If you want to know the truth, read the books and do all the research. The people behind the movies are in it to make money. ;)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:34 am

I'm waiting for later in the year, the follow-up/sequel to "Blade Runner".
Parrothead

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:09 am

Parrothead wrote:I'm waiting for later in the year, the follow-up/sequel to "Blade Runner".

I definitely plan to watch that. :cheer:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:52 am

SciFiFisher wrote:
Thumper wrote:True That

That happens more than people realize. Sometimes it's because Hollywood will combine several real people into one character. They do it for a variety of reasons. One is cost. Another is to tell the story from the perspective of one person which is easier to follow. And sometimes it's better if one character has 10 great lines and scenes vs 10 characters with one great line each.

It happens with movies based on books, too. A common complaint is that the movie was not true to the story. The clearest example of this I can think of is Peter Jackson's decision to create an entirely new major character for the last Hobbit movie - the female elf warrior that fights alongside Legolas. Not in the book.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Tarragon » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:23 am

Just saw Rogue One in IMAX 3D tonight with my Mom. I've seen all of them with her since I was a youngling. I'm not sure what I think. From the original stories it seemed like the theft of the plans was more of a covert operation, not a full blown invasion. (Hope that's not a spoiler.)

Hidden Fences sounds interesting.
Tarragon

Postby Parrothead » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:56 pm

Can't wait for October: Oct 6th - "Blade Runner 2049", scheduled to be released. Oct. 13th "The Snowman" (based on the novel by Jo Nesbo) scheduled to be released.
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:53 pm

Tarragon wrote:Hidden Fences sounds interesting.
Are you Michael Keaton?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:56 pm

The three of us liked Hidden Figures this weekend. We discussed on the way home that not all of the things depicted in the movie happened IRL, or exactly as shown. And some of the characters may have been completely made up. But it made us think about the historical events and the people in those events. Some looking up/researching will entail, and that's a good thing, right?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Next

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments