Oscars- Best Picture Award Snafu

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Oscars- Best Picture Award Snafu

Postby Rommie » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:12 pm

So was anyone else watching last night when this went down?

Basically, I was yawning through to the end because it was my first Oscars I was in the right time zone to watch in over half a decade (starts at like 3am in Europe) and so happy I pushed through. What a weird and confusing moment! So much whispering in the background I figured there was some sort of prank being pulled at first, but then the La La Land guys were class acts, going from such a euphoric high to what must have been the biggest disappointment of a lifetime.

Wonder how many heads will roll at PWC over this one.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: Oscars- Best Picture Award Snafu

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:47 pm

I had already gone to bed so I can't comment on that part.

I caught some earlier parts here and there. I was torn about the bit where the host brought in a group of tourists for a surprise stop on their tour! They were paraded down the front aisle and got to meet some big stars. It was entertaining, but then you continue through the show and the Oscar winners are being rushed off the stage before they finish their speeches. :scream:
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Rommie » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:13 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:I had already gone to bed so I can't comment on that part.

I caught some earlier parts here and there. I was torn about the bit where the host brought in a group of tourists for a surprise stop on their tour! They were paraded down the front aisle and got to meet some big stars. It was entertaining, but then you continue through the show and the Oscar winners are being rushed off the stage before they finish their speeches. :scream:

Interestingly my family had completely opposite reactions to that part- some people thought it was cute, some that it was really awkward as neither the tourists nor stars knew what to do. I thought it was a cute idea, just dragged on a bit long.

Also personally the part they could've skipped was the "reading out mean Tweets" part. Some weren't even that mean, just funny, because frankly the really mean stuff you can't really read out loud on national television.
Rommie

Postby geonuc » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:53 pm

I feel bad for Warren Beatty, who clearly realized something was wrong with the card, especially after Faye Dunaway just announced La La Land without realizing what she was reading.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Actually watched the whole show this time. I guess I was rooting for Manchester and Affleck. I knew something was going on in the background on stage while the La La people were making their speeches and political statements. But they showed true grace when they realized they didn't win and there was a terrible mistake. I do feel bad for Beatty. I'm glad they let him briefly explain what happened from his his standpoint. I know some people blame him completely. It is true, he could have opened the envelope, realized it was the wrong one, and simply stated so, "I'm sorry, I seem to have the wrong envelope here." And then look towards a stage manager for guidance. The people with the right envelope were desperately trying to get it to him at that moment. But he kind of froze, didn't say anything, and showed it to Dunaway. She thought he was being a d|ck, quickly looked a the card, saw the words "La La Land" and read them.

It is kind of sad, the one and ONLY thing you want to not happen at an awards ceremony, happened. And it really shouldn't be that hard.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby grapes » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:06 pm

Just one. But it will seem like it takes down the entire firm

Emma Stone said she was still holding her best actress card, so they'd prepared doubles, one for both sides of the stage.

PwC guy was celebratizing backstage, sending tweets out which he quickly deleted but there are screenshots. FWIL
grapes
Resident News Hound

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:02 pm

grapes wrote:

Just one. But it will seem like it takes down the entire firm

Emma Stone said she was still holding her best actress card, so they'd prepared doubles, one for both sides of the stage.

She also said while she'd love to have won Best Picture, Moonlight is perhaps one of the greatest movies ever and completely deserves the award.

I didn't see any of the Best Picture nominees this year. I don'y remember if I said this here--'m sure I would love La La Land, because I am a musical fan. And it has an awesome planetarium projector!! But Ryan Gosling reminds me of a college boyfriend I'd rather not remember, so I just can't watch any of his movies. I cringed so many times seeing him during the ceremony!

We have Arrival on Blu Ray so I'm looking forward to watching it. I'm sure I would enjoy many of the other nominees, too. I just choose to spend my free time in other ways, so I don't make it a priority to see them. (I do try to make a point not to say, "I don't have time for it" in general. I actually do have a fair amount of free time, but there are so many things I'd like to do, I have to make choices.)
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:01 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:I actually do have a fair amount of free time, but there are so many things I'd like to do, I have to make choices.)
Indeed, lots and lots of "choices."
I'd recommend you not see the Notebook then. ;)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:13 pm

Thumper wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:I actually do have a fair amount of free time, but there are so many things I'd like to do, I have to make choices.)

I think that's the one movie of his I've seen, at least in parts.
pumpkinpi

Postby Rommie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:18 am

Re: Beatty, I just have a hard time taking anyone seriously for blaming a 79 year old man for not realizing what was happening in an event that had literally never happened before, with millions of people watching him. People are fucking weird.

Re: Griffiths Observatory, I had a suspicion when I first saw La La Land that they were going to head there (hadn't seen previews) because it was a giant love letter to movie making in Hollywood, and the second the characters were going to go see "Rebel Without a Cause" I knew where they were going! :)

Re: Moonlight, that was hilariously the movie my sister was watching when she went into labor, but watched to the end anyway. She said the acting was phenomenal but the story frankly wasn't. Personally I'm not sure how much a woman in labor would be paying attention enough to critique. ;)
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:56 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
Thumper wrote:

I think that's the one movie of his I've seen, at least in parts.
Just think of Gosling as a young version of James Garner, not your Ex. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:09 pm

Rommie wrote:Re: Beatty, I just have a hard time taking anyone seriously for blaming a 79 year old man for not realizing what was happening in an event that had literally never happened before, with millions of people watching him. People are fucking weird.
Agreed.
Rommie wrote:Re: Griffiths Observatory, I had a suspicion when I first saw La La Land that they were going to head there (hadn't seen previews) because it was a giant love letter to movie making in Hollywood, and the second the characters were going to go see "Rebel Without a Cause" I knew where they were going! :)
I wish I wanted to see La La. I'm sure it was great, a wonderful love letter to the classic musicals. I'm just not a fan of musicals.
Rommie wrote:Re: Moonlight, that was hilariously the movie my sister was watching when she went into labor, but watched to the end anyway. She said the acting was phenomenal but the story frankly wasn't. Personally I'm not sure how much a woman in labor would be paying attention enough to critique. ;)
I'm guessing the playwright who penned Moonlight will be disappointed that his life story isn't good. ;)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:03 pm

I love Griffith Observatory, and I definitely plan on seeing La La Land, but not while in a cynical mood. :lol:
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:24 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:I love Griffith Observatory, and I definitely plan on seeing La La Land, but not while in a cynical mood. :lol:

Sometimes it's kind of fun to watch a movie while being cynical. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:00 pm

Like me going to most science fiction or "based on a true story" movies I've been to. ;)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby grapes » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:06 pm

Thumper wrote:Like me going to most science fiction or "based on a true story" movies I've been to. ;)

"Inspired by a version of a true story"

Built around [sentient earth species] individuals, which are involved in a love/sex [geometric object], the complications hinge on incredible coincidences and miscommunications, scenes take place in high-end homes in [destination city de jour], and in intimate uncrowded [famous building with quirky architecture]. With the cutest pets.
grapes
Resident News Hound

Postby Thumper » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:58 pm

Nobody gets stuck in traffic and there's always a parking spot right next to where the stars are going.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:13 pm

I didn't watch it. First I heard about it was on XOF. My only news source lately. lol
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:29 pm

I am an uncultured barbarian who almost never watches awards shows of any kind. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Tarragon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:15 am

I'm lucky if I go to a movie theater once a year. I'll watch these on cable. That's why I don't always watch the awards shows - I don't want spoilers. Unless I'm doing a Nielsen survey, in which case I might, but I chose to write instead last Sunday.
Tarragon

Postby vendic » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:14 pm

I used to go to the movies every week to catch up with the guys. Then we'd all go out to eat at various restaurants. After a bad year of movies that changed to just going to eat. That was well over a decade ago. Since I've gotten married we always had a projector that we preferred to going to the movies. Oddly, the last few months is the first time in over a decade since we haven't had one and haven't gone to the movies yet either. Bit difficult in our current position really.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:46 am

vendic wrote:I used to go to the movies every week to catch up with the guys. Then we'd all go out to eat at various restaurants. After a bad year of movies that changed to just going to eat. That was well over a decade ago. Since I've gotten married we always had a projector that we preferred to going to the movies. Oddly, the last few months is the first time in over a decade since we haven't had one and haven't gone to the movies yet either. Bit difficult in our current position really.

Project movies on your sail? :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby vendic » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:47 pm

No projector!
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments