RIP Glen Campbell

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

RIP Glen Campbell

Postby Parrothead » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:04 pm

Just saw a crawler on tv, "Rhinestone Cowboy" Glen Campbell has passed away. Age 81, has had a battle with Alzheimer's for the past 6 years.
Parrothead

Re: RIP Glen Campbell

Postby Thumper » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:28 am

I have been meaning to watch his last movie. He basically went around on a farewell tour and played and recorded with various people. He knew shortly, he wouldn't recognize his dearest friends, so he thought he'd say good-bye ahead of time. I remember hearing some say even when they thought he was totally gone, every once in a while he'd still pick up the guitar and play.
Good-bye to one of the original Wrecking Crew.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:06 pm

I've been a fan of Glen Campbell for a very long time. He was a fairly excellent guitarist as well as singer.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:38 am

-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:25 am

NPR was running a set of interviews they did with him around 2008 or so. Apparently, after he became "famous" and had his own TV show he would sit in on recording studio sessions with his old gang and just play back up for set or two. It was his way of staying in touch with the group.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:49 am

We watched it last night. It was as beautiful and heartbreaking as I thought it would be. I'll admit to being emotionally compromised currently, but I started crying about 3 minutes in. But I also laughed alot.
SciFiFisher wrote:NPR was running a set of interviews they did with him around 2008 or so. Apparently, after he became "famous" and had his own TV show he would sit in on recording studio sessions with his old gang and just play back up for set or two. It was his way of staying in touch with the group.
And it was about the last thing he did professionally. After his farewell tour, he went back into the studio with members of the wrecking crew and recorded his last song, "I'm not gonna miss you."
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:27 am

Went back and watched The Wrecking Crew documentary the last couple nights. What a great insight into the under recognized musicians who played the soundtrack of a generation.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:25 pm

I'm pretty sure "Rhinestone Cowboy" and "Country Boy (you got your feet in L.A.)" are amongst the first 45's, I bought.
Parrothead

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments