Mannix

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Mannix

Postby Parrothead » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:19 pm

The "Complete Series" set arrived the other day. So far, I've only watched the pilot episode. My vague memories are towards the later seasons. The first season has Mannix (Mike Connors) working at Intertect, a detective agency that uses computers to help solve crimes. Mannix prefers to do things his own way. Answers to his boss, Lew Wickersham (Joseph Campanella). From the second season on, Mannix would have his own PI agency, with Peggy Fair (Gail Fisher) as his secretary. Interestingly, Seasons 1,2, 6,7 and 8 have a 14+ age rating, seasons 3-5 are rated PG.

Special features include: an interview with Mike Connors and Joseph Campanella, audio intros by Mike Connors on select episodes, audio commentaries by Mike Connors, Joseph Campanella and William Link on select episodes, a clip of Mike Connors on The Mike Douglas Show, a clip from Diagnosis: Murder - the episode "Hard-Boiled Murder" - served as a sequel to the Mannix episode "Little Girl Lost". Photo Gallery, CBS Fall Promo 1967, TV Land promo and Sales Presentation.

One episode down, 193 to go, this should keep me busy through the coming Winter months. :D
Parrothead

Re: Mannix

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:32 am

194 X 45 minutes of viewing pleasure. That's a lot of pleasure. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Parrothead » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:11 pm

A smidge more, even. Episodes run just over 51 mins, as was for that time. On the box total runtime: 163hrs 44mins. :D

I watched part 1 of the interview with Connors and Campanella, from 10 years ago, when it was only 40 years, since the first season. Connors broke his wrist and separated a shoulder during the filming of the pilot episode. Apparently, the first and last (IIRC) seasons weren't shown in syndication runs of the series.

I'm only a couple of episodes in and so far Mannix has been knocked out a number of times, he must be well concussed by the end of the series. :P In an early episode, Neil Diamond appears as himself, singing in a coffee house.
Parrothead

Postby vendic » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Its been so long since I saw that show I just remember the name.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Parrothead » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:01 am

S1 ep 5 originally aired Sat. Oct. 14, 1967. If I continue watching the remaining episodes on the 50th of their original airings, it'll only take me 8 years to watch the entire series. Nah.

Oh yeah, there is the theme music to the show, performed by Lalo Schifrin.
Parrothead

Postby geonuc » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:08 am

I didn't realize Mannix ran for so many seasons. It must rank as one of the more popular detective shows.

His 1968 Dodge Dart was cool.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:36 am

Heh heh, he said "Dodge Dart" he he.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby grapes » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:51 pm

Parrothead wrote:A smidge more, even. Episodes run just over 51 mins, as was for that time. On the box total runtime: 163hrs 44mins. :D

Next up, the Jeopardy! box set, the entirety of world knowledge, in question form.
grapes
Resident News Hound

Postby vendic » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:10 pm

I asked the mil if she watched the show. She was like, "I was the accountant of the ex producer".
I'm like WOW! Parrothead has to hear this story. So she tells me about his nutty ways, gun stockpile bla bla bla.
Then the wife comes back from shopping and says, that was "Mantis", the black disabled superhero. Lol

Just thought I'd give you a laugh. World is way too serous lately. :)
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby geonuc » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:26 pm

Thumper wrote:Heh heh, he said "Dodge Dart" he he.

Making fun of Mopars, are we? You and I are now mortal enemies. :tap:

:ak:
:cuss:
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:10 am

geonuc wrote:

Making fun of Mopars, are we? You and I are now mortal enemies. :tap:

:ak:
:cuss:

Well, this got fun fast. :duel:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:47 am

I've got a 72 Charger with with a 440 raised block sitting in my barn right now. I think it will do 12's.
My best friend from high school had a Chrysler station wagon we called "The Beast." I got several tickets driving that.
No problem with Mopar's.
Please accept my humble apologies for the slight of the daunting Dart. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:37 am

You mentioning the Dart made me think of Jim Rockford's Gold (baby puke) Firebird in the Rockford Files series. I saw more of those. I enjoyed how the the year of the Firebird would change from episode to episode. And I distinctly remember in one episode where it blew up, it was actually a Camaro. :P

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, I guess I need to challenge anyone to a duel that doesn't like GM F bodies.
:P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:46 pm

I had a 1978 Chevette (automatic, hatchback, with A/C, blue), so I'm not going to make fun of a Dodge Dart. I got that car up to 200k+.

I remember watching Mannix as a kid, but I don't recall ever being nostalgic about it. Not that I fault anyone for being so.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:10 pm

Now that we have derailed this thread. :P I had a 1962 Chrysler New Yorker for a very brief period. As long as the course didn't have a turn in it I could beat any car I came up against. It had a 400 series V8. According to Wiki it was a 413 CI. It wouldn't even consider starting unless I put 5 gallons of gas in it. A roommate of mine borrowed it one night and decided to blow up the engine. I moved out. And stopped letting people borrow my cars. :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:45 pm

Thumper wrote:I've got a 72 Charger with with a 440 raised block sitting in my barn right now. I think it will do 12's.
My best friend from high school had a Chrysler station wagon we called "The Beast." I got several tickets driving that.
No problem with Mopar's.

You are redeemed.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby geonuc » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:53 pm

The Dart may not have been a big block beast, but the GTS version that Mannix drove was outfitted fairly well, and looked a lot better than some muscle cars.

It actually reminds me of the Holden Monaro GTS, which was one of the more popular muscle cars in Australia when i was there.

My Mopar ownership was a 1967 Dodge Coronet R/T with a 440 Magnum, and a 1967 Chrysler 300 convertible with a standard 440. Like Fisher's New Yorker, that 300 could move out despite weighing 12 tons.

I also had a Chevy Vega GT. I was the sole Vega owner who actually liked his car and misses it.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby vendic » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:46 pm

Australia had a version of the dart, called the chrysler valiant. Later of course they brought out the charger six pack. Iirc it was and may still be Australia's fastest production car. The thing was a beast. It looked like it was doing 100mph just rumbling at the lights.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Thumper » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:56 am

geonuc wrote:
Thumper wrote:I've got a 72 Charger with with a 440 raised block sitting in my barn right now. I think it will do 12's.
No problem with Mopar's.

You are redeemed.
Whew, crisis averted.
There were some neat Vegas. Unfortunately the were manufactured to expire within 5 years.
Swift, you got a Chevette over 200K?! Holy crap, you should be in the hall of fame.

I thought THIS was the fastest car in OZ. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:51 pm

Thumper wrote:Swift, you got a Chevette over 200K?! Holy crap, you should be in the hall of fame.

I purchased it used with, IIRC, about 60k. I think I ran it to about 220k and it was still running, but I had a real job by then and I wanted a better car.

When I've compared notes with other Chevette owners, there seem to be two distinct groups: the car completely crapped out before 50k or so, or they lasted forever. I don't recall doing anything special to keep it alive, just was regular about oil changes and other maintenance.

It did eat taillights for some reason. Luckily it was just replacing the bulb, I always kept a supply, but you had to have this weird 5-sided screwdriver to take off the covers. And later in its life it developed some leak around the front passenger door, such that every time it rained, there was a puddle by the passenger's feet.

It was fun driving it in the summer in Louisiana. With the automatic and A/C, to call it "underpowered" was a gross understatement. To accelerate up a freeway on-ramp, I'd have to hit the "turbo" button - turn the A/C off. :D I can't imagine driving it in a location that had real hills.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:55 pm

The pizza place I sort of "worked" at for a while back in college had a delivery Chevette that we destroyed. It never had a chance.

Turbo button, heh heh.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:24 pm

Thumper wrote:The pizza place I sort of "worked" at for a while back in college had a delivery Chevette that we destroyed. It never had a chance.

Turbo button, heh heh.

LMBO. He said "Turbo Button". Two things you should not place in proximity - Young people (especially males) under 30 and Turbo Buttons. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Parrothead » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:03 am

I haven't seen him drive a Dart yet, that was his vehicle for seasons 2 and 3. The wiki page for the show lists the various cars he drives, through the run of the series.
Parrothead

Postby Parrothead » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:50 pm

I've finished watching S1, enjoyed it. In one episode, a mobster lived in a mansion, that looked like "stately Wayne Manor" (from the Batman tv series)from the outside, don't know if there was access to the bat cave or not. ;) I've started on S2. I like how they handled his transition from working for a detective agency to his own PI business. In the first episode, his client is a deaf woman. She read the lips of a kidnapper making demands on a pay phone. In an exchange, she shows Mannix she is soon to be married and inquires if he is married:

Mannix: "No, I'm not married. ... Why? ... Well I guess I've always been a loner. Even when I was with Intertect. ... Intertect? Oh, well that's a big detective agency. Big building, y'know, lots of machines, computers , all the time tick, tick, tick, tick, all the time! Well one day, I got fed up and cussed at the machine. I think I heard it cuss back, so I quit. Now, if I can't get along with a machine, just think what would happen with a wife." :lol:

I liked the "kustomized" Toronado he had in S1. The next 2 seasons are the kustomized Dart GTS 340, after that it's Cudas for 3 seasons, a Challenger 360 Coupe in S7 and in the final season they have him driving a Camaro LT and an Impala convertible.

For vehicles, parents had a '73 Olds Cutlass, when I started driving. My first car was a used '82 Cutlass with T-tops.
Parrothead

Postby Parrothead » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:26 pm

I have finished S2 and am a couple of episodes into S3. Robert Reed has appeared as Sgt. Tobias, a couple of times now. He appeared a few times a season (S2- S7), while also playing Mike Brady, of "The Brady Bunch". Both were Paramount shows at this point. Amusing thing, there are four episodes, throughout the run of "Mannix", where the background looks like the Brady house living room or backyard, just different furnishings, in one case, the staircase is missing. Time for some silliness on my part, perhaps Sgt. Tobias was undercover as Mike Brady and the Brady house was used by others, while the Bradys were camping, vacationing at an amusement park, the Grand Canyon or in Hawaii. ;) :lol: To get an idea of what I'm babbling about, google mannix brady house and some images show on the first page of results. Larry Linville, portrays another police Lt./ Det.Sgt. in this series, before going on to portray Frank Burns, on "MASH".

I am enjoying watching the series, episodes are well written. My only gripe is the packaging of the set. Two huge plastic boxes (S1-4 and 5-8), with 2 overlapping DVDs on on each side of 6 leafs, in each.
Parrothead

Next

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments