Love This Guy

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Love This Guy

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:23 am

"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Re: Love This Guy

Postby geonuc » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Why do you love this guy?
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:43 am

You had to ask, didn't you...
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:48 am

Thumper wrote:You had to ask, didn't you...

Someone had to. :)

Despite being a naked YouTube link, I went ahead and watched part of the video before giving up in search of the backstory.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:43 pm

After watching several of his videos, I will change my first comment to love that video. I've felt for a long time that people who disagree with that particular protest are automatically called racist as a way to dismiss the conversation. I like to hear both sides and he made that possible.

Me? I don't care if they take a knee or not but some do and I can see their pov.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:48 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:Me? I don't care if they take a knee or not but some do and I can see their pov.
Wait, just looking for clarification, you can see the point of view of someone who does not believe someone else has the right to peaceful protest?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:15 pm

Thumper wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:Me? I don't care if they take a knee or not but some do and I can see their pov.
Wait, just looking for clarification, you can see the point of view of someone who does not believe someone else has the right to peaceful protest?

No. I can see the point of view of someone who thinks there are better and more effective ways of protesting. I can see the point of view of someone who thinks this particular protest is a method of saying you hate the U.S. I can see the point of view of patriots who find this offensive. I can see the point of view of people that don't want politics invading sports. Doesn't mean I agree. What I can't see is that disagreeing with this protest automatically makes you racist.

I think Trump calling for them to be fired is moronic and absurd and chilling.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:41 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:I can see the point of view of someone who thinks this particular protest is a method of saying you hate the U.S.
I cannot.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:53 pm

Thumper wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:I can see the point of view of someone who thinks this particular protest is a method of saying you hate the U.S.
I cannot.

And that's the problem.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Cyborg Girl » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:23 pm

That's from 1968.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olym ... wer_salute

Both US athletes intended to bring black gloves to the event, but Carlos forgot his, leaving them in the Olympic Village. It was Peter Norman who suggested Carlos wear Smith's left-handed glove. For this reason, Carlos raised his left hand as opposed to his right, differing from the traditional Black Power salute.[8] When The Star-Spangled Banner played, Smith and Carlos delivered the salute with heads bowed, a gesture which became front-page news around the world. As they left the podium they were booed by the crowd.[9] Smith later said, "If I win, I am American, not a black American. But if I did something bad, then they would say I am a Negro. We are black and we are proud of being black. Black America will understand what we did tonight."[3]
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby Thumper » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:46 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
Thumper wrote:
I cannot.

And that's the problem.
What exactly is the problem with me not understanding or accepting someone else's ignorance or deliberate bias?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:34 pm

Thumper wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:
Thumper wrote:
I cannot.

And that's the problem.
What exactly is the problem with me not understanding or accepting someone else's ignorance or deliberate bias?

If you can't even comprehend a different point of view, how do you bridge the gap?
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:24 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
Thumper wrote:

No. I can see the point of view of someone who thinks there are better and more effective ways of protesting. I can see the point of view of someone who thinks this particular protest is a method of saying you hate the U.S. I can see the point of view of patriots who find this offensive. I can see the point of view of people that don't want politics invading sports. Doesn't mean I agree. What I can't see is that disagreeing with this protest automatically makes you racist.

I think Trump calling for them to be fired is moronic and absurd and chilling.

I agree with Thumper on the 2nd item, because it stands out from the other three. Sure, someone can think there are better and more effective ways to protest; they are entitled to that opinion. They have the right to find it offensive. They have the right to not want politics invading sports.

But if someone thinks people taking part in this protest is a method of saying they hate the U.S., they only have the right to say that if they talk to the people and confirm it. They can't have an opinion on how someone else feels.

But then again, it's true that not everyone who disagrees with this protest is racist. We can't paint any group in broad strokes.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:32 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:But if someone thinks people taking part in this protest is a method of saying they hate the U.S., they only have the right to say that if they talk to the people and confirm it. They can't have an opinion on how someone else feels.

Apparently, that is the crux of the matter. We live in a world where (almost) everyone can and does have an opinion. They read an article online and suddenly their opinion is just as valid as 400 years of combined expertise on any particular topic.
It used to be that we didn't get to participate in the dinner table conversation of virtually every person in the world while they pontificated on why their opinion was more valid than the person who spent an entire life time becoming an expert.

With social media and online forums we all get to have that shouting match at the dinner table. All day. Every day. Which is why sometimes the one with loudest opinion wins. They wear everyone else out. Even if their opinion is dead wrong and causes harm. :(
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments