Godless

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Godless

Postby geonuc » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:22 pm

Godless - an eight episode series on Netflix. Wow, this show is powerful. It's a western but unlike any other western I've seen. Quite graphic with violence, too - a lot of people die.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Re: Godless

Postby Thumper » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:32 pm

I've been hearing ads for it every 15 minutes on I Heart Radio for about 2 weeks now. Having recently gotten into Netflix, I was intrigued, but I don't think it would be something that Mrs. T would be interested in. I thought about it just because I'm a Jeff Daniels fan.

You like?
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:03 pm

Jeff Daniels spoke at my college graduation.

That's all. Carry on.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:08 pm

I don't necessarily think he's the world's greatest actor. I think he's a great person.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:19 pm

Jeff Daniel's performance in Godless was superb, and his role was quite challenging.

The Atlantic magazine did a review that I think captures the essence of the show.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... ix/546719/
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:18 pm

I will have to see if I can find time to watch it. I have long been a fan of western's.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:49 am

First of all, I think Jeff Daniels has been underrated for some time.

Secondly, I started this based on geonuc's recommendation and all I can say is that everything about it is exquisite. It's so rich that I won't be able to binge watch it but amazing casting, writing, lighting, cinematography - just beautiful dark art.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby code monkey » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:04 am

geonuc wrote:Godless - an eight episode series on Netflix. Wow, this show is powerful. It's a western but unlike any other western I've seen. Quite graphic with violence, too - a lot of people die.

anything like deadwood?
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby geonuc » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:37 pm

code monkey wrote:
geonuc wrote:Godless - an eight episode series on Netflix. Wow, this show is powerful. It's a western but unlike any other western I've seen. Quite graphic with violence, too - a lot of people die.

anything like deadwood?

Yes, although the dissimilarities are significant. Deadwood was a multi-season series and therefore had much more in the way of evolving plot threads and changing characters. Godless is eight episodes only and remains focused on one theme. But both are examples of the dark side of the West, where law has not yet taken root.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:25 pm

I have watched the first two episodes. Very disturbing take on religion and what it can motivate a person to do. ;)
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby squ1d » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:56 am

Jeff Daniels is awesome in this!
squ1d

Postby Thumper » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:31 pm

D@mn, I'll probably never be able to coax Mrs. T into watching this. Oooh, when The Kid comes home, maybe I can convince her, then it won't be my fault. :twisted:
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:30 pm

squ1d wrote:Jeff Daniels is awesome in this!

Yup. The last few years he's really gotten to show his acting chops.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 pm

Thumper wrote:D@mn, I'll probably never be able to coax Mrs. T into watching this. Oooh, when The Kid comes home, maybe I can convince her, then it won't be my fault. :twisted:

You have "Y" chromosome. And you are married. It is always your fault. roll:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:37 pm

Yeah, I know.
I heard a good part of Fresh Air yesterday where Terry interviewed Scott Frank. It was a good interview and made me want to try to watch some. Mrs. T was out with a friend last night so I watched the first episode while reviewing my A/V owner's manuals. It was beautiful.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby gethen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:23 pm

I recall seeing Jeff Daniels in Gettysburg several years ago and being surprised at how good he was as Joshua Chamberlain. I resolved to pay more attention to him. Then he did Dumb and Dumber and I kind of wrote him off. Now he shows up in Godless and blows your socks off. I swear, that “Amen” at the end of the prayer/threat he offers while sitting on horseback at the podium in that little church was one of the scariest one word lines I’ve ever hear on screen.
gethen

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:31 pm

He was also pretty brilliant in "Newsroom," what I saw of it. It's on my watch list, but, maybe not for a little while longer, 'cause - politics.

I'm going to go finish watching The Punisher and then I might get back to Godless and Ozark and all my fantasy stuff, but yeah, Newsroom is on my list. :lol:
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:24 pm

My favorite Daniels' movie is "Fly Away Home." ;)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments