Ed King

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Ed King

Postby geonuc » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:23 pm

Died. A guitarist with Lynyrd Skynyrd, he co-wrote Sweet Home Alabama, which I learned was written in response to Neil Young's Southern Man and Alabama. I guess LS saw racial tensions differently than NY.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Re: Ed King

Postby Thumper » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:41 pm

Ed was a very smart and articulate man. He was with the California band, The Strawberry Alarm Clock and co wrote their psychedelic hit "Incense and Peppermints." They were on tour with Skynyrd when Ronnie Van Zant noticed King and invited him to join the band. He was with them for the first 3 albums, and rejoined the band around 10 years after the tragic plane crash when the band resurrected with Van Zant's brother Johnny taking over vocals for his late brother.

King and Van Zant had a special creative relationship that led to many of the great songs on their first 3 albums. He was actually a long term survivor of a heart transplant before cancer took him.

If you don't count Ricky Medlocke who wasn't officially in the band at the beginning, that leaves only Gary Rossington as the only member of the iconic band that recorded their first album. That debut not only contained the long standing banner Freebird, but 5-6 of the 8 tracks were eventual hits or favorites.

Regarding Geo's comments, they were certainly rednecks but they were also progressive rednecks. They wrote songs against gun violence, against drug and alcohol abuse, and there are lyrics against racism and prejudice.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:57 pm

I wonder why they felt the need to respond to Neil Young? Perhaps that story is just not true. I got it out of an obituary written by an AP reporter.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:14 pm

Much hay has been made about the "feud" between Skynyrd and Young. Many people on their own without input from either party have analyzed it to death and formed their own conclusions. So I'll not add my own personal opinions about that aspect. I've seen a quote from Ronnie that that part of the song was basically a joke or a jab at Neil. Something along the lines of we're not all racist rednecks, don't put us all in the same box. The two parties enjoyed both long term professional and personal friendships. Many photos exist with them wearing each other's concert T-shirts on stage. Neil sent them demos to three songs (that he eventually recorded himself) because Skynyrd had asked it they could play and record some of his music. I think a Skynyrd demo of Powderfinger exists. It was going to possibly be on their next album but the plane crash that killed Ronnie, Dean, Steve, and Cassie, as well as the immediate future of the band scuttled that. I had read part of an interview where Neil says he loves Sweet Home Alabama and has covered it several times.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:59 pm

You're an encyclopedia of rock music knowledge!
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:01 pm

Long time Skynyrd fan. :oops:
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:51 pm

I think sometimes the "feuds" between celebrities are somewhat contrived by publicists. And of course, the fan bases who like to wave banners and proclaim their celebrity is better than others.

It seems odd though to see/hear about all these rock legends and members of now famous bands who are dying off. Somehow you tend to think they just never die. I suppose that is because their music is still on Sirius XM. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments