Murphy Brown

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Murphy Brown

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:36 pm

Some of you may not recall the show, Murphy Brown. CBS has done a re-boot with many of the old cast. I watched the first episode and genuinely laughed at the humor. It takes a few pokes at Trump... Actually, a lot of pokes.

Some of us may relate all too well to the scene where the hip young tech-savvy guy freaks out over Murphy's flip phone. And get a chuckle out of her response to Twitter.

The original show often lampooned politics and social norms. In fact, there was a bit of a "WTF" moment when the original show ran Murphy Brown becoming a single mom at 42. VP Dan Quayle publically chastised the show for encouraging women to have children out of wedlock.

CNET has a really good article and a synopsis of the new reboot and the original. https://www.cnet.com/how-to/murphy-brow ... t-details/
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Re: Murphy Brown

Postby SciFi Chick » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:14 pm

I always enjoyed the show, but I'm mad that we don't have a real life Murphy Brown. This is pure fantasy. :P
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby pumpkinpi » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:15 pm

Oh yeah, I remember the original in real time. And I watched the reboot. It was great!

I need to do a double check of the math, though. How is her son 28? Was it really on the air that long ago?
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:31 am

pumpkinpi wrote:Oh yeah, I remember the original in real time. And I watched the reboot. It was great!

I need to do a double check of the math, though. How is her son 28? Was it really on the air that long ago?

Murphy was on from 1988-1998. If her son is 28 he would have had to have been born in 1990. Quayle was VP from 1989 to 1993. It seems plausible. Very plausible for TV history. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:32 am

SciFi Chick wrote:I always enjoyed the show, but I'm mad that we don't have a real life Murphy Brown. This is pure fantasy. :P

Yes, it is. But, it's fun. And I agree, a real Murphy Brown would be nice.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments