The First

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

The First

Postby geonuc » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:30 pm

A collaboration between American provider Hulu and British Channel 4, The First is a drama series about the first human expedition to Mars. Or, more to the point, about the astronauts and ground support teams involved with the project. So far (I've watched five episodes, I think), it's compelling drama, mainly due to Sean Penn's and Natasha McElhone's performances.

The downside is availability. I subscribe to Hulu because I don't have a TV provider here in Bend (yet despite my paying a monthly fee, Hulu has decided that I still must sit through advertisements :scream: ). I'm not sure if it's available to non-subscribers.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Re: The First

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Almost all of the pay for streaming services have started added commercials to their feeds. Even Amazon Prime has started throwing in some. So far it's mostly along the lines of trailers for other shows they think you might like because you are watching X and you might like Y. Essentially, they almost all have decided that they need to optimize their revenue stream.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:10 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:Almost all of the pay for streaming services have started added commercials to their feeds. Even Amazon Prime has started throwing in some. So far it's mostly along the lines of trailers for other shows they think you might like because you are watching X and you might like Y. Essentially, they almost all have decided that they need to optimize their revenue stream.

Yep, I'm aware of the trailer thing (I have A Prime, Netflix and Hulu) but this is flat out advertising someone else's products. It was inevitable but I don't like it.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:42 pm

It sounds a little similar to Mars the Nat Geo series I wrote about last year. I'm sure I saw an ad over the weekend that season 2 will be airing shortly.

I would love to try "The First." Mrs. T is experimenting with cutting the cord, we have Prime and Netflix. She got an Apple TV somethingorother that can interface with various network apps, Hulu, DirectTV Now etc. She's been trying to see if we can have access to all the shows and channels that previously like with some success. I have trouble with the remote and the menu systems. I get frustrated that I can't get to my show in 5 seconds. I have alot of stuff on DVR schedule that I can bring up immediately, and then fast forward through any commercials. So far we can't match that with this setup. But if our cable bill gets any higher (already approaching a stiff car payment), she's gonna cut the cord no matter what.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:32 pm

I finished season one. Highly recommended.

Yeah, I hate all the remote nonsense as well. But I've taken to using the Amazon Prime control stick's verbal command feature. Rather than flipping around to find the Hulu app, I just say "Start Hulu". And it does.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:17 am

geonuc wrote:I finished season one. Highly recommended.

Yeah, I hate all the remote nonsense as well. But I've taken to using the Amazon Prime control stick's verbal command feature. Rather than flipping around to find the Hulu app, I just say "Start Hulu". And it does.

I admit that voice recognition is getting good enough to almost overcome my early trauma with it. :lol:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments