In Praise of Cheeses

Can't have a bar without a Grill... So here's where we discuss great (and no so great) food. The good, the bad and the "even the dog won't eat it" mistakes of our culinary attempts...

In Praise of Cheeses

Postby Loresinger » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:35 pm

I have been visiting Wegaman's cheese shop locally. They let you taste test before buying. Fond two I love. An 18 month old gouda and a cave aged Gruyere from Switzerland. WOW both have a nutty edge... but are very different too. Going to go with my wrappers this week and see what else they can recommend.

What cheeses do you like.
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Re: In Praise of Cheses

Postby Rommie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:43 am

Here in Amsterdam they have many a cheese shop on busy shopping streets for tourists. Always go in for samples, it's like a free snack!

Most cheeses here are gouda based, and yep the aged ones are great. For me though the best gouda will always be smoked gouda though. Also note to self, must visit town of Gouda while still living here...

The annoying thing about cheese heaven though is you don't get many cheeses from other countries, except some brie kinda things. Would really love to have some light Swiss cheeses on hand...
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Ikyoto » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:40 pm

I've got the sandwidtch, but damn I want more cheese now- btw I fixed the spelling on the title- me... ironic, huh?
Ikyoto
Fine Arts Purveyor

Re: In Praise of Cheeses

Postby Parrothead » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:40 pm

There usually are samples out of a couple of cheeses (those which are on special that day/week) at the local grocery store. Always good for a bit of a snack while shopping or getting introduced to some new flavour added to some cheese. Been revisiting a favourite lately, Dofino creamy havarti, local store has slices in the deli, another store a bit further away has cylinder shapes of it for $13 , can't remember how many hundreds of grams the piece is gonna guess 600 ish. I like having a few slices of buttered dark rye, then place some slices of dofino and sliced tomato with fresh ground black pepper on top, for breakfast. Yum!
Parrothead

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:25 am

Ikyoto wrote:I've got the sandwidtch, but damn I want more cheese now- btw I fixed the spelling on the title- me... ironic, huh?

I thought praising Jeeses was something she did on purpose. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Ikyoto » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:43 am

♫Cheeses wubs me, this I know, `cause my kitty told me so..."♫

all give praise to the Lord Cheeses, son of Bob Almighty, The Flying Spaghetti Monster that is the Lord.
Ikyoto
Fine Arts Purveyor

Postby Loresinger » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:35 pm

New selections

Comte from France - 5 years aged still very nutty but a little sharper

Piave from Italy kind of a rich, smooth parm but oooh so good

stay tuned we have a whole month to "praise cheeses"

and make bad puns

ps: try mild harvarti on ginger snaps (honest it works)
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Return to .... And Grill