hey code monkey!!!

Can't have a bar without a Grill... So here's where we discuss great (and no so great) food. The good, the bad and the "even the dog won't eat it" mistakes of our culinary attempts...

hey code monkey!!!

Postby Ikyoto » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:27 pm

i'M WATCHING COOKING TV AND AM LEARNING to make poish gfelta fish and kreplach! Kosher is good cooking! As soon as we finish the previous batch of beans and cili I"m doing matza balls, gfelta and kreploch! :wave:
Ikyoto
Fine Arts Purveyor

Re: hey code monkey!!!

Postby cid » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:31 pm

WHAT!?!?! No more beans'n'chili???

...sob...we've lost another one...sigh... :shrug:
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Postby Swift » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:22 pm

The REAL way to make Gefilte fish, as told by a real Jewish mother

http://www.haruth.com/jhumor/JHumor21GefilteFish.html

(the Cleveland Plain Dealer published a photo essay version of this about 15 years ago that had me in tears)

Suggest that your daughter take a day off from work so that she can watch you make the fish, so she'll know how to do it for her kids after she has put you in The Home.

Lugging three heavy shopping bags filled with fish, take three buses home, unless someone has told you about a way of taking four.

Rev up those Hadassah arms and attack the ingredients with a dull bladed hockmesser for 90 minutes. Demand that your daughter acknowledge the superiority of your withered arm over a horsepower motor.

Place your hand on your chest and moan. Accept your daughter's offer to help. Give her the bowl and the hockmesser.

Twelve seconds later, snatch the bowl and chopper out of your daughter's hands. Tell her to watch carefully so she'll be more of a help next year. Pulverize the fish with your chopper for another 52 minutes.

The real Jewish mother in my life when I was a kid was my Great Aunt Rose. The author must have personally known her.

By the way, I actually made Gefilte fish with my mom when I was a kid... once. It is a heck of a lot of work.

But I also love it (the bottled is fine).
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby code monkey » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:17 am

Ikyoto wrote:i'M WATCHING COOKING TV AND AM LEARNING to make poish gfelta fish and kreplach! Kosher is good cooking! As soon as we finish the previous batch of beans and cili I"m doing matza balls, gfelta and kreploch! :wave:

nadia g(bitchen kitchen) did a version of gefilte fish that you might enjoy. (n.b. it means filled fish.)

here is how to make knaidlach mit neshomes (dumplings with souls), the version of matzoh balls that my family likes.
take some of the dough and add more cinnamon. enough to significantly darken the dough.
use some of this as the center of each knaidl.

btw, i know that there are people who re frantic to make their matzoh balls light and fluffy (add seltzer! don't mix the dough too much ...) i prefer them to have some substance. my dear sister refers to them as cannon balls. somehow she always manages to polish off her serving.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby Swift » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:58 pm

code monkey wrote:btw, i know that there are people who re frantic to make their matzoh balls light and fluffy (add seltzer! don't mix the dough too much ...) i prefer them to have some substance. my dear sister refers to them as cannon balls. somehow she always manages to polish off her serving.

Yeah, my family was always of the light and fluffy school of matzoh balls, and yes, my wife has done the seltzer trick (she makes a nice matzoh ball). My dad used to call my Aunt Rose's "sinkers", and he didn't mean that as a compliment.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Ikyoto » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:56 pm

GOOD MATZO BALLS SHOULD OUTWEIGH THE PERSON TRYING TO EAT THEM.
Ikyoto
Fine Arts Purveyor

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:33 pm

I've never had a matzo ball.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Loresinger » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Hum, Iky it sounds like the same equation you have for lasagna.
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Postby brite » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:02 pm

Loresinger wrote:Hum, Iky it sounds like the same equation you have for lasagna.

You mean a lasagna shouldn't weigh a minimum of 15 pounds going into the oven??
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby Loresinger » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:23 pm

transfer lasagna by crane... feed small army.
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Postby Swift » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:39 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:I've never had a matzo ball.

WHAT!?! :shock:

There was to be a nice Jewish deli in the DC area. You need a road trip.

Of course, now that I've said that, you'll try one and hate it. If you don't like dumplings and that kind of food, don't try a matzo ball.

Swift

Return to .... And Grill