Greek Garlic Sauce

Can't have a bar without a Grill... So here's where we discuss great (and no so great) food. The good, the bad and the "even the dog won't eat it" mistakes of our culinary attempts...

Greek Garlic Sauce

Postby Loresinger » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:30 pm

take two cups thin mashed potatoes
6 cloves pureed fresh garlic
dill, salt, pepper to taste
2/3 cup evoo
1/2 cup pureed and strained cukes

no vampire shall pass :dance:
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Re: Greek Garlic Sauce

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Haven't had that version before. One of my specialties is tzadziki. :D
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Loresinger » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:27 pm

I used the cucumber to calm the garlic a bit (may try baking the garlic next time)

will be great on meatballs, shrimp, or even as part of bruchetta
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Postby FZR1KG » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:49 am

It is a traditional Greek dip.
Just can't remember the name.
FZR1KG

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:47 am

FZR1KG wrote:It is a traditional Greek dip.
Just can't remember the name.

It's called skordalia.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby cid » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:38 pm

Dayumm...that not only sounds good, it sounds simple enough for me to make. :wave:
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:27 pm

We have a Greek restaurant we go to that has an appetizer plate with skordalia, tzatziki , hummus, and melitzanosalata (eggplant dip) supplied with pita, cucumbers, and olives. Oh my, it's good. Maybe we'll have to go there tonight....

MrPi makes a mean tzatziki. Always heavy on the garlic.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:24 pm

My first thought was..."why is she putting potato in a sauce?" :confused:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby cid » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:48 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:We have a Greek restaurant we go to that has an appetizer plate with skordalia, tzatziki , hummus, and melitzanosalata (eggplant dip) supplied with pita, cucumbers, and olives. Oh my, it's good. Maybe we'll have to go there tonight....

For those of us unfamiliar with Greek (get yer mind outen the gutter...), what would this dipping sauce be good for in more conventional
mid-Amurrican foodstuffs?
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:46 pm

cid wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:We have a Greek restaurant we go to that has an appetizer plate with skordalia, tzatziki , hummus, and melitzanosalata (eggplant dip) supplied with pita, cucumbers, and olives. Oh my, it's good. Maybe we'll have to go there tonight....

For those of us unfamiliar with Greek (get yer mind outen the gutter...), what would this dipping sauce be good for in more conventional
mid-Amurrican foodstuffs?

It's good on bread. It's good in salad. It's good on souvlaki. It's good on lamb. It's good with chips. You name it really. And it's healthy.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Loresinger » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:24 pm

the potato is great because you can make it as thick or thin as you wish and it's NON DAIRY for those with lactose issues. I was thinking of thinning it down for a party meatball or shrimp sauce for FWIS FWY. I applied it to steak (OMG) ... I added a little more olive oil and used it for salad -

No vampire can pass this house and survive.
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Postby SciFi Chick » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:53 am

Loresinger wrote:No vampire can pass this house and survive.

Garlic - the number one reason behind sunshine that I don't want to be a vamp. :lol:
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:32 pm

We did go to this restaurant but at an alternate location, and they DID NOT HAVE THE PLATE! I was so disappointed. But I think we are going to go to the original restaurant for my birthday next week.

They did have their tzatziki. Yummy. Even Buster, who is not a fan of any sauce, liked it.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Loresinger » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:03 pm

I have also discovered this dip has a great shelf life AND can be used as a spice in other dishes. I was making hotdogs and beans the other day and use some for an extra kick to the beans -- a crockpot was emptied at work in record time.
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Return to .... And Grill