Proper storage and handling of dangerous ideas

OK... no matter what you believe... discuss it here. All beliefs, faiths and religions (and non-religions) allowed. Discuss the meaning of life, death and everything in between... just remember... not everyone believes the way that you do...

Proper storage and handling of dangerous ideas

Postby Cyborg Girl » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:05 am

I recognize the value of universal access to useful knowledge, but I have to wonder about the wisdom of making shit like this publicly available:

[WARNING, extremely NSFW link]

https://archive.org/details/JEWISHRITUAL-MURDER

When blithering idiots like "Jonathan Price" take it as gospel truth.

I don't doubt that it's useful to archive Nazi agit-prop for scholarly and educational reasons; but you could say the same of e.g. the knowledge of how to make a fertilizer bomb, and it would still get a lot of people killed if you made it easy to come by. I'm not pro-censorship, much less pro-forgetting-the-atrocities-of-the-past; but the ugly truth here is that some people are gullible, stupid, and/or looking for an excuse to do something nasty, and will glom right onto such ideas.

Is there any reasonable way to keep dangerous concepts out of the hands of stupid people? :(
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Re: Proper storage and handling of dangerous ideas

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:09 am

Here's the problem: attempting to ban such speech puts it in the media and makes it more widely-known than not banning it would. It's essentially the Streisand Effect, and I know it happens. We studied a number of Neo-Nazi hatemongers who were prosecuted here in Canada in the 1990s. And it's exactly what happened. Google "Ernst Zundel" for an example.

The best way to do away with such speech is to ignore it utterly, and to teach people the opposite.
The Supreme Canuck

Postby Yosh » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:35 am

The Supreme Canuck wrote:Here's the problem: attempting to ban such speech puts it in the media and makes it more widely-known than not banning it would. It's essentially the Streisand Effect, and I know it happens. We studied a number of Neo-Nazi hatemongers who were prosecuted here in Canada in the 1990s. And it's exactly what happened. Google "Ernst Zundel" for an example.

The best way to do away with such speech is to ignore it utterly, and to teach people the opposite.

What he said. There was the famous (infamous) attempt by the neo-Nazis to march in Skokie, IL in 1977. Skokie had a large Jewish population with a large number of concentration camp survivors. I can understand *why* they wouldn't want to see that marching through their neighborhood.

Bottom line is it went to court and the right of assembly and free-speech of the neo-Nazi assholes was upheld.

The march was never done, but the situation got lots of public attention. But, one must wonder if people had just let those asshats have their little parade, it wouldn't have garnered the attention and notoriety.
"German is an aggressive language. You could be reading a German script for 'My Little Pony,' and a Klingon Warbird would de-cloak..."

Master Daniel at the "Wanton Destruction" event.
Yosh
Ichiban yaro

Postby Rommie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:31 am

Yep, that.

Btw I found it rather interesting in Berlin that when you visit the site of Hitler's bunker (where he died/was cremated) it's actually now in the middle of a nondescript car park by a nondescript building. The Germans decided that relegating the space to something so mundane would cut down on the number of people seeking to pay homage to where Hitler died... plus you'd look pretty damn silly doing anything in a car park.

Always liked that approach myself.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby grapes » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:41 am

Rommie wrote: plus you'd look pretty damn silly doing anything in a car park.

Hmmm...isn't there something we could come up with to do?
grapes
Resident News Hound

Postby Swift » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:40 pm

“I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.”
― Voltaire
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby FZR1KG » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:04 pm

"I'll defend your right to free speech with death. Start pushing hate speech. I'll kill you. With a smile. :D"
FZ
FZR1KG

Return to Religion