Don't ask, don't tell, and don't salute...

OK... no matter what you believe... discuss it here. All beliefs, faiths and religions (and non-religions) allowed. Discuss the meaning of life, death and everything in between... just remember... not everyone believes the way that you do...

Don't ask, don't tell, and don't salute...

Postby cid » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:27 am

Yer good enough to be shot at, but God won't help ya if ya get hit...

This is just disgusting -- and that comes from a veteran. I thought we were supposed to be secular in situations of this nature.What's next? Call Westboro Baptist and have them perform the ceremony?
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Re: Don't ask, don't tell, and don't salute...

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:39 am

It was understood from the beginning that Chaplains would not be forced to do anything that was in contradiction to their religious beliefs. The Catholic Diocese in charge of Catholic chaplains is merely re-minding everyone that it was agreed that they would not be forced to officiate weddings or do anything in violation of those beliefs. They also were asked to openly state their position on these matters and have done so.

There are plenty of other chaplains who are more than happy to officiate at ceremonies and lead religious couples retreats.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Re: Don't ask, don't tell, and don't salute...

Postby cid » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:52 am

I still see a terrible dichotomy ($5 word from a 10¢ mouth...) here.
"Love one another as you would love yourself."
Someone makes the ultimate sacrifice -- "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13).
Yet at the ultimate time of remembrance and respect, if the individual's personal (NOTE -- not necessarily sexual) preferences did not pass muster with the ecclesiastical authorities, his church representatives won't have anything to do with the rites or ceremonies.
I say it's hypocritical and disgusting.
This is just one more reason I don't go down to that building on Brown St, even though part of it is named after my dad...

Sorry, Pop...but at least we respected each other's views and could discuss them civilly.
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Return to Religion