Furnace

We all need to hear it... here's the place to share it...

Furnace

Postby Thumper » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:24 am

Back in August, we replaced all of our HVAC. In addition to the expense, there was the time, the ripping out of all the old stuff, breaking it down, and recycling all the various materials. After all the checks were written, everything was cleaned up, and all the scrap hauled off, we had little to show for it. We had a nice pleasant August so we didn't need heating or cooling, everything was switched off.

Well it finally got cool enough last week that Mrs. T wanted some heat. The new system is quiet and keeps the temp at exactly what you set it for. So I got that going for me, which is nice. Won't get to use the A/C until probably next July. Now I just need to sort out a water softener replacement...
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Furnace

Postby Rommie » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:28 pm

Yay!

Last spring I had serious problems with my heating system because the main unit was pretty broken and the radiators were leaking. Cost the landlord over €1500 to fix, but thank goodness because beyond all the leaking water mess I kept discovering the heat out every few weeks until all the leaks were found.

So now we'll see how the new system copes with winter coming on (I don't have A/C, because you only need it for a handful of days a year here). My other main issue is I have these giant, beautiful single pane windows which are awful for keeping in heat, but it's illegal to change them because it's a historic area. Apparently we're supposed to just freeze to death like people in the 1600s did. :P
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:25 pm

We only use the A/C for a handful of days as well. Even when it gets very hot and humid here, alot of time it only lasts a couple days. Hardly worth firing everything up. But it all needed replaced regardless. Can you put up plastic on the insides of your big windows in the winter?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:21 am

They're too wide and big! (Which is awesome in general, but not for this as much!)

To be honest, it hasn't gotten that cold the past two winters- just a few days sub-zero- so if I just put it down during the day it's not so pricey. But if we get a stretch of -20C days (ie 0F) like we did my first winter when I was living somewhere else it'll get really chilly...
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:24 am

Bigger than This?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:34 am

Might be taller, yes. Basically in Amsterdam the old buildings are taller stories than a traditional one today because they had no electricity and relied on natural light.

And incidentally, funny thing but I've never seen the plastic kits like they sell everywhere in the USA. You're pretty limited by a smaller size.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:11 am

Thumper wrote:We only use the A/C for a handful of days as well. Even when it gets very hot and humid here, alot of time it only lasts a couple days. Hardly worth firing everything up. But it all needed replaced regardless. Can you put up plastic on the insides of your big windows in the winter?

Well, we must be historically accurate. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby vendic » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:30 pm

Thumper wrote:Bigger than This?

Apologies in advance. This reminded me of:
Bigger than BIG. Taller than tall
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Return to Good News