Marriage Equality in the U.S.

We all need to hear it... here's the place to share it...

Marriage Equality in the U.S.

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:05 pm

It's official. We have marriage equality in the U.S. Yes!

:wave:

:cheers:

:dance:
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Re: Marriage Equality in the U.S.

Postby Thumper » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:33 pm

I've always been for it. I can't even fathom or comprehend the reasons against it. Even if I was against it, I can't come up with an argument for how it would harm me, my marriage or anyone else. Recently someone very close to me came out. So now it's personal. When I first read the first news story, I cried.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:00 pm

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:D :D :D :D :D :D
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

This post would be complete if we had a rainbow smilie.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Swift » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:28 pm

Excellent
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:51 pm

Thumper wrote:When I first read the first news story, I cried.

Me too. I didn't expect to, but I did. :D
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:16 pm

Kind of a busy add filled site, but here is Cracked's hilarious 30 second guide to dealing with the SCOTUS decision on marriage equality.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:14 am

Another hit close to home. A high school classmate of mine has been in a long term, faithful, same sex relationship. It's not that they just now get to be as "married" as Mrs. T and I. They have two adopted sons. Up until this ruling, they couldn't both be the fathers of both sons. One was listed as the adopted father of one son, and the other for the second son. In our eyes (society), my friend had NO relationship with one of his sons. I can't imagine what that felt like to him. Not to mention all the legal he|| they could have had to go through should one of the fathers fell ill or died, or one of the boys fell ill while his only "father" was away.
Special rights and "gay agenda" my @ss. It makes the actions of that @sshat clerk in Kentucky all the more preposterous and infuriating.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:08 pm

I honestly can't believe why people give a crap about her. I refuse to give her any attention, because she's clearly an attention whore.

Like geez lady, if you don't want to do it fine, quit your job if you think your job has stuff in it you don't want to do. Problem solved!
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:00 pm

Pretty much my thoughts. You're free to practice your religion by yourself and believe in any crap you want. When you apply for a job, interview for a job, and then accept money to do a job, the employer has a reasonable expectation that you try to perform all of the specified duties. I don't think I can take a job at ODOT and then say, "Umm, my god doesn't believe in me testing roads or using excel." :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:08 pm

People give a crap about her because the outcome of this whole legal drama has huge implications on civil rights, and not just gay marriage. The federal judge has already pushed the envelope in the wrong direction by releasing her with the restriction that she not interfere with any of her subordinates in the clerk's office in granting marriage licenses.

So now, according to that judge, it's OK for a government servant to not do her job because of religious objections as long as she doesn't interfere with others who do her job for her. That's not OK with me and it shouldn't be OK with anyone who respects the rule of law.

It's all well and good for people to tell her to do her job or quit, but if she does neither, we have a real problem given she can't be fired. This is a big deal.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:18 pm

I agree entirely Geo. And the big time elected officials coming to her defense makes me completely lose what minuscule respect I ever had for them. I think the judge was worried about backlash but he let her off the hook and made an incorrect legal decision.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:32 pm

It's possible the judge may well have been worried about how the public would receive his ruling, I don't know. But that's no reason to stray from the rule of law. If he in fact yielded to public pressure, then he should step down too.

We really need to have a constitutional basis to remove people from elected state-level positions in federal court. Fat chance.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:42 pm

I believe he had the option of fining her instead of jailing her once she was found in contempt. But in looking further into it, he saw there was no shortage of religious supremist whackos stepping forward to give her all kinds of money. So she would be able to continue to pay her fines and impose her religious will on others and not do her elected job. So, while surprising to some as extreme, he jailed her. Then I think he kind of ignored the law and looked for a solution to the original problem: Can we get marriage licenses to the people in this county? When the answer was yes, he let her go.

I find a similarity although without the direct governmental employee angle to employers who provide healthcare to employees as part of their benefits package. Yet somehow, some are able to refuse to allow birth control or abortions as part of that package. :evil: No, healthcare is part of what you agreed to pay me to do the job you want me to do. You have 0 right to personally wade into my healthcare decisions and impose your personal religious will on me.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby brite » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:45 pm

And then, there was the Hobby Lobby case, in which SCOTUS declared that corporations had a religion. Now, they can have healthcare policies that deny birth control to their employees. Isn't that special?

Thing is, same sex marriage wasn't decided on the 1st Amendment, it was decided on the 14th - Equal Protection- you can't treat one group different than you treat another. In other words, if you allow straight people to enter into the legal contract that we call marriage, and they get to enjoy all the legal governmental rights and responsibilities, we cannot exclude same sex couples from entering into the same contracts. No more than we could exclude mixed race couples.

The clerk in Kentucky apparently doesn't understand the law or the Constitution. She can't impose her religious beliefs onto her subordinates, that's a violation of the 1st Amendment's Establishment Clause. She is trying to establish HER religion as the ONLY acceptable religious doctrine in that office. She is also in violation of the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause, as described above. She may well end up back in jail. My hope is that her lawyer and Rev. Huckabee go with her.
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby geonuc » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:33 pm

[Deleted - move along. Nothing to see here.]
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:45 am

geonuc wrote:[Deleted - move along. Nothing to see here.]

But..... it was probably the best post ever! :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:20 am

Dang, missed it.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Good News