how the day improved

We all need to hear it... here's the place to share it...

how the day improved

Postby code monkey » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:37 am

you'll remember, no doubt, my talking about encountering, in rapid succession, a woman who told me(joking) that she wanted to get rid of her husband and then a woman complaining about her children telephoning her. and how I assured them, in the nicest possible way(Michael would have been pleased) that they were lucky. you will also remember that I said that the day got better and my promise to tell you about it. this seemed to be the best place for it.

the day went on and I went through my errands. recycling. dropping the drink cans and bottles at the animal shelter thrift shop. drop jeans off to be hemmed. post office. grocery store. yarn shop. oh boy, the yarn shop.

you see, some time back(months) i'd dropped off 2 sets of hats for the purple hat project there. one of the women working at the store noticed the cards attached and we started talking. one of her children had died in high school. we sat there and, in the words of my friend wanda,a woman who has endured more than her share of sorrow(leukemia killed her son when he was 3. breast cancer killer her daughter when she was an adult. she's never lost her religious faith.), we remembered our children. a few weeks later I was sitting at a window table of the restaurant next door when she came walking down the street, saw me, waved and then walked in and gave me a project bag that she'd made for me! (i'd admired hers and this was a copy of it.) I knitted her a scarf and tried to write a note to go with it. now Michael and Elliot were the writers. you may have noticed that i'm sorely skill lacking in this area. I am ashamed to tell you that it took me many, many weeks to crank out a thank you. I'd finally managed it and dropping off the scarf was the reason for my stop. I didn't know if she'd be there or not and actually was hoping that she wouldn't be there because I felt like such a jerk for talking so long to recognize her for her incredible thoughtfulness and generosity butthere she was, sitting at the big table, knitting. her face lit up when she saw me. she remembered my name. (i'd forgotten hers. i'd had to have one of the ladies at the pool find out what it was.) she was totally stunned by the fact that i'd brought her something. she hugged me. she put the scarf on and was blinking back tears. she dismissed the project bag a 'nothing'. (nothing, my eye. it's taffeta and it's gorgeous. it's my default project bag and I always have a hat in progress in it.)

and that, dear readers, was the very good part of the day.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Re: how the day improved

Postby Morrolan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:15 am

Made me smile.
"We don't let them have ideas. Why would we let them have guns?" Stalin
Morrolan

Postby Thumper » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:14 am

I like good news.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:14 pm

Knitters of the world untie! I mean unite!
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:22 pm

<<<warm and fuzzy>>> I like stories like this.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Good News