My sister, the marathon runner

We all need to hear it... here's the place to share it...

My sister, the marathon runner

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:54 am

I am so proud of my big sis. Today she ran a marathon in the pouring rain in the Baltimore/Washington area.

Through high school, the two of us kept in shape in dance classes and on the pom pon squad. :cheer: The kind of exercise we did was akin to a sprint--full-out performing for 3-4 minutes, but no steady long duration exercise.

When we were both adults living in Baltimore, we decided to start running. We went to a track and ran one lap, walked on, ran one, walked on, etc. Each time out we'd run a little more. After about six weeks, we ran a 5K.

Who knew that when we ran that first 1/4 mile, she'd end up running more than 100 times that?!?

I knew I'd be proud of her. But when her husband posted a picture of her crossing the finish line, arms up in triumph, I didn't expect to cry. And me telling her that made her cry.

I love my sister. I have always looked up to her. To me, she is perfect--she can do no wrong. She is the most caring, unselfish, cool-headed person I know. She's an awesome mom. I treasured living in the same city as her for six years so we were able to build that really close adult relationship. It's now been almost 8 since I moved away, and I do miss her proximity, but she is never far away.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Re: My sister, the marathon runner

Postby code monkey » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:21 am

thank you for that lovely story. it's wonderful to have a sister. my sister and i live on opposite coasts but we talk every day. she's helped me through some horrible times and i don't know what i'd do without her.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Re: My sister, the marathon runner

Postby Rommie » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:28 pm

Sisters are indeed awesome. Yours sounds awesome too! :mrgreen:
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby FZR1KG » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:23 pm

I ran a marathon once. Hardest 2 minutes of my life!

That's pretty cool pumpkin.
FZR1KG

Return to Good News