W.T.F. Stew gone wrong

Can't have a bar without a Grill... So here's where we discuss great (and no so great) food. The good, the bad and the "even the dog won't eat it" mistakes of our culinary attempts...

W.T.F. Stew gone wrong

Postby FZR1KG » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:00 pm

Just to show that I make crap meals sometimes...

I was late on dinner yesterday and had to make something fast.
I decided to use left over rice and pasta, combine it with chopped cabbage and ground beef and cook it together with spices then put it into a tray, top it with ham and cheese and bake it.
Before I got the idea to bake it I told the wife we're having WTF stew. No idea what else to call it.
I let the wife try it while I was still cooking in the pot. She thought it was ok but not too impressed.
So I added some spices, one was garam masala. Bad mistake. It overwhelmed the meal and it was a tiny amount I added.
Kept going and ate it. It was hot, spicy hot. I added salsa from a jar, saracha, some cayenne as well.

While it was ok to eat it would have been far better than it was if I left out the garam masala.
Second day I'm eating it for breakfast and it's shill spicy as hell.
Normally my heat threshold picks up the next day. Not this time.
Oh well.
FZR1KG

Re: W.T.F. Stew gone wrong

Postby cid » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:20 pm

BTDT. someday I'll tell you about the canned combo that ate the bottom out of a saucepan... :halo:
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Postby FZR1KG » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:50 pm

Well I did post this for a reason. Share the crap times.
Like recently we had no corn chips to make nacho's.
So I tried saltines and nuked them.
Let's not discuss the results in polite company. lol
FZR1KG

Postby geonuc » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:53 pm

FZR1KG wrote:Well I did post this for a reason. Share the crap times.

:lol:
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:35 am

I made gravy many years ago that turned into a ball of hardened "stuff". Not even the family dogs would eat it. roll:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:29 am

geonuc wrote:
FZR1KG wrote:Well I did post this for a reason. Share the crap times.

:lol:

Yeah - he won't be making that mistake again. LOL

What I love about him though, is when we're in the midst of eating whatever monstrosity (on the rare occasion that happens) he's created, he tries valiantly to convince me it might not be too bad. And yet, he's very desirous of my honesty, so luckily, his experiments always lead to something better. :D
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Swift » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:29 pm

Years ago, my wife made a crock-pot chicken mole recipe she had found some place. We've had very poor luck with crock-pot recipes generally; the writers of these recipes apparently have decided the only people that use crocks-pots are 107 years old and want to eat tasteless pap.

Anyway, the recipe called for 2 or 3 canned jalapeños. My wife misread that as 2 or 3 cans of canned jalapeños (not 2 or 3 peppers).

Needless to say, it was a little hot. I think I managed to eat about a half serving, sweating all the way. I don't think she got beyond a taste.

We actually tried again, making it according to the recipe, and it was tastelessly bland. We figured there might be an optimal between those two points, but decided it wasn't worth a third attempt.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Swift » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:33 pm

Then there was my mom's attempt, when I was a kid, to make rice pudding from leftover Chinese take-out rice. Rice pudding is basically a pudding with cooked rice mixed in. Problem is that the starch on the take-out rice acted as a barrier for the pudding, so when she took it out of the oven we had a baked pudding at the top, and twice-baked uncoated rice at the bottom. We just ate the pudding part.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby FZR1KG » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:17 am

Swift wrote:Years ago, my wife made a crock-pot chicken mole recipe she had found some place. We've had very poor luck with crock-pot recipes generally; the writers of these recipes apparently have decided the only people that use crocks-pots are 107 years old and want to eat tasteless pap.

Anyway, the recipe called for 2 or 3 canned jalapeños. My wife misread that as 2 or 3 cans of canned jalapeños (not 2 or 3 peppers).

rofl

You're right about croc-kpot recipes. I've never found one I was happy with yet. Always muddled flavour so it's like you are eating the same bland thing but it has different textures. Imagine steak and potatoes that taste like mashed up steak and potatos together but in retaining the original texture. ew.
FZR1KG

Postby Loresinger » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:45 pm

cream of brussels sprout soup... no words
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Postby Swift » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:44 pm

Loresinger wrote:cream of brussels sprout soup... no words

You mean "eeewwww" isn't a word?

Swift

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:46 pm

Swift wrote:

You mean "eeewwww" isn't a word?

It's more an expression of disgust. :lol:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby FZR1KG » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:15 pm

Weird.
I've made it and it's pretty good.
FZR1KG

Postby cid » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:23 am

OTOH...a couple of leftover pork chops cut into pieces, and some leftover potatoes wrung out and chopped, in a can of mushroom soup...not bad...
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Return to .... And Grill