The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby Thumper » Tue May 17, 2016 7:51 pm

I definitely have to do that in the work truck. Heater, and defrost in the morning, A/C on the way back to the shop in the afternoon. I don't think I'd ever have to do that in the house. But never say never.

We talked to our vendor in Ann Arbor MI. They certainly had snow over the weekend.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Mon May 23, 2016 12:17 am

Really really over this rain shit.
I'm trying to fix up the boat and it won't stop raining long enough to do a thing.
They reckon Tuesday on will be sunny.
I won't hold my breath.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon May 23, 2016 10:00 am

vendic wrote:Really really over this rain shit.
I'm trying to fix up the boat and it won't stop raining long enough to do a thing.
I won't hold my breath.

Seriously! We're getting less sun now than we did this past winter. I'm sooooo sick of it!!!
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon May 23, 2016 4:19 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
vendic wrote:Really really over this rain shit.
I won't hold my breath.

Seriously! We're getting less sun now than we did this past winter. I'm sooooo sick of it!!!

It's your lack of faith. All you have to do is deny global warming and BELIEVE hard enough. Then the curse will be removed and you will have sunshine, rainbows, and lollipops. Trust Me. :mrgreen:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Tue May 24, 2016 7:35 pm

Sunny and 65 Sunday, Sunny and 70 Monday, Sunny and 80 today. Rain tomorrow and Thursday. So far that's a win. As long as I can get the grass all cut again sometime before Sunday.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:28 am

Hazy, hot, and humid since last Friday. Continuing through the weekend. Summer has announced its arrival.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:55 am

We hit an official high of 98 degrees Fahrenheit. I think it felt like 101. But, it was a dry heat. :lol:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:57 pm

Kinda cool here in the Oregon high desert.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Swift » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:54 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:We hit an official high of 98 degrees Fahrenheit. I think it felt like 101. But, it was a dry heat. :lol:

Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:41 pm

Nice and hot here, about as hot as it was when we left FL. Actually turned on the A/C yesterday. It be summer. Supposed to be a bit cooler later in the week.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:48 pm

Not a terribly good summer here. Most rain ever in a six month period, and only got above 25C/77F once or twice, maybe a month ago now.

I'm really not one to complain though because if the weather was actually nice, it would be a lot harder to spend the summer working on my thesis! (And not weather related, but it is awesome to have the sun set at 10pm, and still have twilight on the horizon when I go to bed around midnight.) But I do miss the feeling of a hot and humid summer, and going to the pool after work.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:00 pm

I'm taking care of a buddy's pool while he and his family are on vacation. If the temps stay where they are, I'm going to take advantage of the opportunity to use it. But only supposed to get up to 78 WED.

I love the late sunsets as well.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:09 pm

We are hitting triple digit Fahrenheit this week with 103 or 104 being the high. We hit 103 yesterday. Thank god I have an AC unit that is about 1/4 of the size of the house. :mrgreen:

Of course, I may have to sell a kidney to afford the electricity. California uses a "the more you use the higher per KW we charge" plan.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:18 am

Yeah I guess that's the trick too- no one in Amsterdam has A/C (except my workplace), so if it did get hot, it would suck trying to get to sleep and such. A fan only does so much when you are in a cute canal house designed to trap in heat and can't be fitted with screens on windows lest all the mosquitos come in and join you.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:14 pm

Just wonderfully perfect weather for a whole week. Highs in the low 80s, lows in the 50s and low 60s. And the humidity has been down.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:18 pm

I hate you. Rain and clouds and mid-60s all week here. :(

The sun came out yesterday for like a half hour and I just rode around the canals on my bike for almost all of it with no real goal. Amazing how some sun cheers you up.

Not sure how my Sunday BBQ is going to go, right now the forecast is calling for more of the same but that probably means it won't actually rain hard, just be cloudy. Fingers crossed.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:13 pm

Rommie wrote:I hate you. Rain and clouds and mid-60s all week here. :(

The sun came out yesterday for like a half hour and I just rode around the canals on my bike for almost all of it with no real goal. Amazing how some sun cheers you up.

Not sure how my Sunday BBQ is going to go, right now the forecast is calling for more of the same but that probably means it won't actually rain hard, just be cloudy. Fingers crossed.

Too bad we can't share some of our 100+ weather while you share some of your rain and clouds. ;)
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:33 pm

Somebody create the smartphone app: "Weather Sharing."

I'd get a smartphone for that. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:04 am

Hot, hotter, and more heat on the way. Doesn't look like I'm in the minority.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:29 pm

Thumper wrote:Hot, hotter, and more heat on the way. Doesn't look like I'm in the minority.

Yes. It appears that the drought has returned to California. Although I do believe it is not quite as hot (yet) as it was this time last year. I read something about a huge inversion? dome hanging over a large portion of North America. Someone apparently messed up the weather sharing app. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:07 pm

Wow. I think in the 17 years we've lived in the current house, we've never had the A/C on constantly for more than a week. I think we're pushing a month now. There have been a few evenings where I open a few windows overnight and it cools down enough that the A/C doesn't run. But it's been in the 80's-90's for at least 5 weeks. We had gotten just enough rain here and there to keep the grass growing. I haven't had a week off this year yet. I has really started to dry out here but rain expected most of this week. Although the temps are supposed to stay up. I didn't plan to wear out my new A/C in it's first summer...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:55 pm

Thumper wrote:Wow. I think in the 17 years we've lived in the current house, we've never had the A/C on constantly for more than a week. I think we're pushing a month now. There have been a few evenings where I open a few windows overnight and it cools down enough that the A/C doesn't run. But it's been in the 80's-90's for at least 5 weeks. We had gotten just enough rain here and there to keep the grass growing. I haven't had a week off this year yet. I has really started to dry out here but rain expected most of this week. Although the temps are supposed to stay up. I didn't plan to wear out my new A/C in it's first summer...

I suspect we run the A/C more than you (I have little tolerance for heat), but even for us it is rare to run it continuously for so long and yes, we've been probably running it constantly for well over a month. I can't remember the last time our high for the day was below 80F, and there have been very few even below 85F.

Every winter we'll get the climate change deniers going "what happened to this so called global warming?". I wonder why we haven't heard from any of them lately. :P

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:20 pm

I know why. ;)
Only 81 currently but it will still be 86 at 6:00pm. That doesn't allow much time for things to cool down.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:03 pm

Thumper wrote:I know why. ;)
Only 81 currently but it will still be 86 at 6:00pm. That doesn't allow much time for things to cool down.

That's always the issue at our house. My wife will see the forecast and go "the low tonight is 70F, we should open the windows", and I'll remind her "That means by 5:30 in the morning it will be 70F, but when we go to bed at 10:30, will will still be 80F".

Swift

Postby Thumper » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:17 pm

Yup.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around