The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:43 pm

49 here, 60s for the high. Perfect biking weather. I can wear work clothes instead of having to change!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby pumpkinpi » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:10 pm

After a few chilly mornings, it's amazing how hot a sunny 68 degrees feels!
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby geonuc » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:39 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:After a few chilly mornings, it's amazing how hot a sunny 68 degrees feels!

The weather seems to be great over at Hazeltine golf course.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:33 pm

I think Mother Nature has been hitting the sauce. it was mid to high nineties all week until the week-end. Supposed to be in the mid-70's most of the week and back to 90(ish) next week. Meanwhile the temps overnight are supposed to be hitting the mid-40's to mid-50's. It's almost fall weather. :roll:

The rain we were supposed to get today was a no show.

Meanwhile they are predicting that if you live in Buffalo (or other parts Eastern Snow Board) you should move quickly before winter arrives. Too late it's October 2nd. roll:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:50 am

We got your rain, you can come get it. Somewhere around 2.5 inches Wed-Fri. Not sure, it knocked over the rain gauge. Tried raining again yesterday. Was too wet to mow. Hopefully get to that this afternoon instead of working out. It'll be slow going. But nice pleasant temps predicted through the week. Gotta start looking at the Texas forecasts...
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby gethen » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:45 pm

It has rained here every day for the last week. Dreary is the word.
gethen

Postby Swift » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:22 pm

gethen wrote:It has rained here every day for the last week. Dreary is the word.

Is that a gethen? She must only come out in the rain. :D

HI!
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:37 pm

So, apparently, when you do mass evacuations in front of a hurricane, and you announce that police and fire won't be available, a bunch of assholes come from all around, sometimes even other states, to loot your property. Unbelievable. But if a storm destroys it, no one will even notice it's been looted. They only notice if the storm predictions are wrong. Just when I thought I hadn't lost enough hope in my fellow citizens. :(
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:26 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:So, apparently, when you do mass evacuations in front of a hurricane, and you announce that police and fire won't be available, a bunch of assholes come from all around, sometimes even other states, to loot your property. Unbelievable. But if a storm destroys it, no one will even notice it's been looted. They only notice if the storm predictions are wrong. Just when I thought I hadn't lost enough hope in my fellow citizens. :(

And they probably rationalize it with the excuse that A) It was going to be destroyed anyway. Hence depriving the owner of it. and B) Since it will be deemed destroyed by the storm the owners will be compensated for it by insurance.

Vultures really don't care. But, they do have their excuses.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:42 pm

It was 85 and sunny yesterday. It has been nice since we got back from Texas last week. Supposed to be raining today but it has not. High temps supposed to be heading down 25-30 degrees in the next couple of days making it more fall like. The trees are really starting to turn. It's been one heck of an Indian Summer.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:22 pm

Mowing Topless! This is certainly a first for me. I mowed shirtless and in shorts yesterday. In November! This time of year I can easily be found sitting on the mower in hat, gloves, coat, and coveralls. It's supposed to hit 80F today. Fall weather is being promised in the near future. It's likely during the next mowing or leaf mitigation operations, I'll be bundled up in my plowing gear...But for now: It's still Indian Summer.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:38 pm

We had more, much needed, rain this last week. Reports are it was the third wettest October for this part of California. Meanwhile the water keeps avoiding Southern California. But, it is finally starting to feel chilly. And it looks like we are out of the heater at night and air conditioner during the day phase. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:50 pm

After years recovering from the last extended drought, it seems the southeast - Georgia and Alabama - anyway - is well into another.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:09 pm

Still Indian Summer. Temps near 70 all weekend. (of course part of it we were in Baltimore). But sunny, warm and dry. Got a lot of leaves transported yesterday.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:05 pm

Not so much for us. Seems two Nor'Easters are cooling things down so deep into the South that we can't go South fast enough to stay in the warm weather. The winds are gusting just over 25mph. The Pamlico Sound is forecast to have 2-3 foot waves. Having been in the Pamlico in those conditions, I'm not taking the girls into it. So we'll sit it out in Manteo till tomorrow. Not really what we wanted but as they say, shit happens.
The Pamlico Sound is very shallow water so the waves are short,steep and rough. If it were deeper water the 2-3 foot forecast would be calm sailing weather.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:53 pm

vendic wrote:Not so much for us. Seems two Nor'Easters are cooling things down so deep into the South that we can't go South fast enough to stay in the warm weather. The winds are gusting just over 25mph. The Pamlico Sound is forecast to have 2-3 foot waves. Having been in the Pamlico in those conditions, I'm not taking the girls into it. So we'll sit it out in Manteo till tomorrow. Not really what we wanted but as they say, shit happens.
The Pamlico Sound is very shallow water so the waves are short,steep and rough. If it were deeper water the 2-3 foot forecast would be calm sailing weather.

Buckle up kids!! :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:53 pm

Thumper wrote:Still Indian Summer. Temps near 70 all weekend. (of course part of it we were in Baltimore). But sunny, warm and dry. Got a lot of leaves transported yesterday.

yes, we are actually starting to cool down during the day. :P No more AC during the day and heater at night. :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:14 pm

Monday, we could still pretend it was Indian Summer with temps in the 70's (briefly), and sunny skies. This morning it was 34 outside my window. Similar lows expected the next couple days. Driving by a lighted car dealership on the way in, you could see the heavy frost on all the windshields. Also, it seems to be getting dark around noon these days. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:01 pm

Yesterday evening I went outside and remarked to my wife that someone is BBQing or there's a fire around here somewhere. Turns out it was fires in Northern Georgia.

This state is seriously drying out.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:01 pm

It got warmer each day this week. Today's high expected to be around 73. It only got down to 50 last night. Tomorrow's high? About 40, rain and a chance of snow...Sunday's high: 37. This time I mean it: Indian Summer is over. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:55 pm

Thumper wrote:It got warmer each day this week. Today's high expected to be around 73. It only got down to 50 last night. Tomorrow's high? About 40, rain and a chance of snow...Sunday's high: 37. This time I mean it: Indian Summer is over. :P

You keep saying that. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Parrothead » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:10 am

Sunny and 17C today, chance of snow for the weekend.
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:31 pm

For the first time in the 17 years I've lived in my current house, I was able to mow wearing nothing but shorts and boots, in November. For the first time in the 17 years I've lived in my current house, I mowed in a snow storm.

These two events occurred two weeks apart. They could have occurred 24 hours apart.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:37 pm

Temps dropped yesterday from the high 50's to the low 40's. That's supposed to be the highs for the next few days. Grey, 40, and rainy. Everything is back to normal for this time of year.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:29 pm

Thanks to the mild late-fall so far, I have just extended my bike-riding streak to 31 months! My restrictions are severe weather dry roads, so that means in the past two years, it's been warm enough in both January and February for the snow to completely melt! Good for biking, but not for any other winter sport.

Winter is truly coming next week, with lows getting down to the teens. There's talk of a ridiculous blizzard a bit south of us, which we'll be on the tail end of. I don't know what the current prediction for are area is. But I don't really care because I'll be on vacation in a tropical island next week! I'll report the weather in advance: high of 80, low of 77, partly cloudy to sunny. :mrgreen:
pumpkinpi

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around