The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby Thumper » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:31 pm

Hope it's not too humid. :P
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:39 pm

Temps down close to 20 this morning. Out running with the dog before dark last night, the wind was cutting. While it did snow/sleet on me during my last mowing session a couple of weeks ago. I didn't stick at all. Last night, we got about about a half an inch (yes a WHOLE half an inch) overnight. it was enough to have the radio morons and curmudgeon employees all p|ssed of.

Supposed to go down into the teens tonight and then sunny and all the way up to 30 tomorrow. So it will be nice and balmy for my big tree falling/bucking/splitting party tomorrow. As my buddy would say during cold work sessions, "The heat's in the tools, boys."
Last edited by Thumper on Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:14 pm

It's damned chilly here in Cocoa. 59F at 10am and only going to 65 today. Brrr.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Thumper » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:24 pm

Sent a couple bad pics of the snow down to The Kid. She said she was jealous, it was just cold in Atlanta. I checked and it's still only 32F I was surprised.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:19 pm

It was 29 when I stepped on to the golf course this morning, according to my car.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:55 pm

That's cooler than I thought it would be in the Atlanta area. I just hope it gets all the way up to 29 here tomorrow, when we're cutting down trees. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:32 pm

Started snowing yesterday, didn't quit until about 8:00pm. We ended up getting about 6 inches at the house before it was over. I shoveled and plowed like mad, as the temps are supposed to go down to single digits for a couple days. Any snow that didn't get removed would get really hard and slippery. Me and the dog had alot of fun. But I would have rather built snowmen.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:36 pm

6 when I got up this morning. Heard on the radio that at my old stomping grounds, Grand Forks ND that it was -15. Seems about right. I can't imagine it was much different across the river in Pumpkin Pi Land.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:41 pm

No, only down to -5. We'll get to the -20 range over the weekend.

Not really complaining--although it is typical to have snaps like this a couple times per winter, it usually isn't that early. It's a particularly bitter pill for some to swallow because of the mild fall--a couple times we hit or approached 80 just last month!

We got about 6 inches of snow last Sunday and are looking at another 8-12 tomorrow. That's actually about as big of a snowfall we'll get at once, and not even every year. The frustration is that it's so cold you can't even go out and enjoy it for long. Our backyard is still pristine because we haven't gone out to it.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:41 pm

A little snow expected tomorrow. But Saturday will be a big 50 degree rainy, muddy mess. I took a few pics and some video of everything Tuesday when I got home before dark, before I plowed and shoveled. The girls wouldn't be home until well after dark and it would never look as pretty as it did when it was coming down. When we're wading in the mud under dark grey skies next week, I'll look at those and have a beautiful white Christmas in my head.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:42 pm

It was 60 on Saturday. Started raining in the evening and poured all night. Probably a couple of inches. Then temps back to the 20's. Sidewalk, garage pad, porch all slippery as snot. The 2 to 5 day forecast changes dramatically every 6 hours. You know, because it's so hard to predict weather in this complicated region. :shock:

Originally supposed to have a rain snow mix everyday this week. Now predicted to be "partly cloudy with highs in the 30's" the next few days. But it's currently snowing....Like my Karate instructor used to say, "If you don't know the answer to my question, the correct answer is 'I don't know, Sir.'"

We even saw a comedian last weekend who made fun of our local inept, useless weathermen.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:50 pm

Thumper wrote:It was 60 on Saturday. Started raining in the evening and poured all night. Probably a couple of inches. Then temps back to the 20's. Sidewalk, garage pad, porch all slippery as snot. The 2 to 5 day forecast changes dramatically every 6 hours. You know, because it's so hard to predict weather in this complicated region. :shock:

Originally supposed to have a rain snow mix everyday this week. Now predicted to be "partly cloudy with highs in the 30's" the next few days. But it's currently snowing....Like my Karate instructor used to say, "If you don't know the answer to my question, the correct answer is 'I don't know, Sir.'"

We even saw a comedian last weekend who made fun of our local inept, useless weathermen.

One of them dropped the Magic 8 Ball and it hasn't been the same since. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:55 pm

He'll be here all week!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:12 pm

Day after day in the 80's and nights in the 70's.
Bugs, bugs, bugs.

We worked out that iodine really sorts out the itch to where it's bearable.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:56 pm

Minnesota weather >>>>>>> Florida weather!!
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:28 pm

We had the coldest weather in 3 years over the weekend, around -20. No complaints, it's warming up pretty quickly. Here's the kicker. A county just west of the metro is under a FLOOD warning because it will be warming up enough to melt the snow. 50 degree increase in 2 days!
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:42 pm

Yep, we went from 2 to 60 in 30 hours. 25 currently. The wizards are predicting 55 and monsoon rains for Christmas Eve and Christmas.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:12 am

Thumper wrote:He'll be here all week!

Try the veal! :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:09 pm

More Monsoons and temps in the 50's today and tomorrow. We did have some heavy flurries last week....
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby code monkey » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:02 pm

it's 29 in town. it snowed yesterday and my driveway is covered. I don't like this 1 tiny bit.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:24 pm

We had an awful Christmas, weather-wise. Technically it was white, because we had about 10" of snow from 3 snowfalls leading up to it. But Christmas started out with a few snowflakes, transitioned to freezing rain, and ended with a big thunderstorm. :scream:

I tried to go on a walk with Buster before the rain started, but we both slid down our driveway and I knocked my knee pretty badly!

So what we're left with is a couple inches of crust, totally worthless for any type of snow fun. We did get out for a couple of ice skating sessions, but the rinks couldn't be kept up very well because we are hovering around freezing.

So, in the end, I'm complaining about it being TOO warm, with not enough snow! Switching gears, now. We're headed back sub-zero. But the roads are dry and clear, so if it's not too windy I might ride my bike sometime this week.
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:51 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:So, in the end, I'm complaining about it being TOO warm, with not enough snow!
Yea! I'm not the only one. :P We've had just one snow 2 weeks before Christmas and it disappeared with 2 inches of rain within a week. It poured all yesterday. I had to get out and unplug downspouts there was so much rain. It shorted out my Christmas lights. It's been super windy for the last week. Temps going down to a low of 15 by tomorrow night. Down from 60 yesterday. Weeee. Ummmm no outdoor snow fun, no outdoor skating, no biking. The dog and I did get an outdoor run in last week and we all had a nice walk over the weekend.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:39 pm

Hot and muggy in Florida with rain and thunderstorms.
Thunderstorms, only on a boat with a huge metal pole poking up can one fully appreciate them.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:00 pm

vendic wrote:Hot and muggy in Florida with rain and thunderstorms.
Thunderstorms, only on a boat with a huge metal pole poking up can one fully appreciate them.

So.... Dr Vendicstein, is there anything you would like to share with the village constable? :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:06 pm

Hmmm ... nasty road conditions predicted for Friday, which would make my drive home from Norfolk not fun at all. The Pathfinder does great on good roads or off road. Not so great on slick, possibly frozen roads and particularly if there's wind. I think I'll have to cut my road trip short and head for the barn. I'll be back in Norfolk before too long anyway. These art gallery delivery road trips are always two stage affairs - drop-off and pick-up.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around