The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby geonuc » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:10 pm

Cue pun about Click & Clack's limo driver ...
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:28 pm

geonuc wrote:Hmmm ... nasty road conditions predicted for Friday, which would make my drive home from Norfolk not fun at all. The Pathfinder does great on good roads or off road. Not so great on slick, possibly frozen roads and particularly if there's wind. I think I'll have to cut my road trip short and head for the barn. I'll be back in Norfolk before too long anyway. These art gallery delivery road trips are always two stage affairs - drop-off and pick-up.
If you find the vehicle that drives well on frozen icy roads, let me know. He|| let everyone know. :P
I know Pikup Andropov will be interested.

There's only been one drive in my life where, by myself, I was concerned I wasn't going to make it. All others, it was the idiots around me that made the drive difficult.

60F to 16F. At least it took 36 hours this time. 1"-2" or 2"-4" expected today depending on which weatherman's coin you trust. Heck that's only a possible 400% variance.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:34 pm

I figured you'd 'pikup' on that. :)

I hear you. But the Pathfinder is particularly uncomfortable in bad weather. Well, at least with the 4WD I stand a better chance of getting out of a ditch.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:37 pm

My hope is to stay out of the ditches. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:06 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:
vendic wrote:Hot and muggy in Florida with rain and thunderstorms.
Thunderstorms, only on a boat with a huge metal pole poking up can one fully appreciate them.

So.... Dr Vendicstein, is there anything you would like to share with the village constable? :P

It's ALIVE!!!!
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby vendic » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:08 pm

Thumper wrote:There's only been one drive in my life where, by myself, I was concerned I wasn't going to make it. All others, it was the idiots around me that made the drive difficult.

Sums up my experience too. Thought I did have a few times I wasn't sure I'd make it, but, I am a bit insane.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:34 pm

5F and 2 inches of snow. Once I got shed of the A-holes on the way home, the dog and I had a great time working/playing in the snow. Supposed to go down to 0 tonight. Maybe our first and only chance to go negative this winter. We're scheduled to go on a fun run/walk tomorrow AM. Supposed to be 8-12 at start time. They said they "may move the event indoors if in climate weather persists. C'mon wankers, it's 5K on the paved paths around a rec center. Put on some clothes, gear up and have a nice winter hike. One in our group is already balking. I can hear Pumpkin Pi chuckling at us amateurs.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:50 pm

Thumper wrote:5F and 2 inches of snow. Once I got shed of the A-holes on the way home, the dog and I had a great time working/playing in the snow. Supposed to go down to 0 tonight. Maybe our first and only chance to go negative this winter. We're scheduled to go on a fun run/walk tomorrow AM. Supposed to be 8-12 at start time. They said they "may move the event indoors if in climate weather persists. C'mon wankers, it's 5K on the paved paths around a rec center. Put on some clothes, gear up and have a nice winter hike. One in our group is already balking. I can hear Pumpkin Pi chuckling at us amateurs.

I don't recall the temperature at which even the military stops working out outdoors but it is usually somewhere at zero Fahrenheit or below. Somewhere around 20 below or so (too lazy to look it up) you can actually start getting cold damage to the lungs with strenuous breathing d/t not being able to warm the air enough. There is also some risk of hypothermia induced by sweating and cooling down too rapidly in the cold.

Naturally, there are things you can do to mitigate these things. And of course, when you are doing a "Fun Run" and there is the risk of harming people who can sue you for allowing them to breath frozen air... :lol:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:55 pm

Yeah, I get it. But walking around a winter wonderland for an hour sounds much more interesting than walking around in circles on a cramped indoor track.

It's moot. It's been announced that it has been moved in doors.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:56 pm

Well, it's been a good week. Snow last Tuesday then stayed cold enough that it's still here. Supposed to start raining tonight. Guess it might start out as freezing rain, but temps start rising consistently up through the mid 50's Thursday. And the rain is supposed to continue through Thursday. So it will be a muddy mess. But I shouldn't complain. NoCal and Nevada have had floods and mudslides because of too much rain. Still the rain and mud is a reminder to to go out, get dirty, and take down the Christmas lights.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:05 pm

Mount Shasta is reported to have received 18 feet of snow. That's mountain not the city of Mount Shasta. :shock:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:51 pm

Ahh, Mt. Shasta. One of my favorite mountains.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:25 pm

Let's see, rain today, rain tonight, rain tomorrow, rain Thursday. Although it started out a little sleety first thing so everyone had drive like a total moron. Nevermind that there was so much residual salt already on the roadways that they couldn't possibly get slick...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:30 pm

Thumper wrote:Let's see, rain today, rain tonight, rain tomorrow, rain Thursday. Although it started out a little sleety first thing so everyone had drive like a total moron. Nevermind that there was so much residual salt already on the roadways that they couldn't possibly get slick...

Yuck yuck yuck and yuck!

We had about 1-2" during the day yesterday and have another 1-2" coming down now for the morning commute. No big deal, this always causes an increase in accidents but we're careful enough that it's not out of control.

We did have to cancel a work education program, though. We (my staff) have a portable planetarium we take to schools. It resides in a van in an underground garage that has a steep ramp to get up and out of. It wasn't salted down so my staff couldn't get out! He spun his wheels for 25 minutes before anyone could come to help.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby DimSum » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:00 pm

If it rains too muh more, I'm going to have moss growing on my ass....
DimSum

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:16 pm

Last I heard you guys were having a biblical drought. What gives? :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby DimSum » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Thumper wrote:Last I heard you guys were having a biblical drought. What gives? :P

God said... "Noah...." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bputeFGXEjA
DimSum

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:03 pm

Thumper wrote:Last I heard you guys were having a biblical drought. What gives? :P

Apparently, El Nino finally delivered. :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:03 pm

DimSum wrote:

What’s a Cubit? :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:42 pm

Well I'm sure I'll be posting here a lot the next few months!

So how about I woke up this morning to a lovely snowfall, maybe two inches of white stuff and more coming fast. Then this afternoon it started to rain, after I got home. Still raining, and I have one college friend living in Toronto I'm meeting for dinner... not far, but pretty sure I'll want to get home before the city turns into a giant ice rink!
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby vendic » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:06 am

SciFiFisher wrote:
DimSum wrote:

Digital memory using copper atoms?
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:27 am

vendic wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:
DimSum wrote:

Digital memory using copper atoms?

In biblical times it was the distance from the tip of a man's longest finger to the bend of his elbow. Most men today it averages about 18". IIRC in biblical times it was about 15".
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:44 pm

Weathermen wrong? Can't be... Clouds and rain went away last night, beautiful moon showed up. But with that the temps dropped unexpectedly. Black ice fest this morning. Everyone b|tching about ODOT not salting the roads. Yea.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:29 pm

I had about 10F weather in Charlotsville and similar in Colonial Beach when I picked up the car. Snow, black ice everywhere. Lots of slipping and sliding. I was also wearing sandal's at the time I went to get the car. My toes went numb real fast walking through the snow to get to the car so I could get my boots.
All cleared up at the South end of NC.
The wind chill was horrible and I had light clothing because my cold weather jacket was in Fort Lauderdale airport, which we still need to pick up.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:43 pm

Single digits this past weekend, sleet and black ice Tue and Wed. Tons and tons of rain and the wind returned. It's currently well above 60. I haven't seen the property in the light since the weekend, but it appears to be raining limbs and branches out there. I won't be able to fetch them for weeks for fear of drowning. It was so warm and spring breezy this morning, I swore I heard a spring peeper. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around