The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby Thumper » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Twice since I've lived here: Saturday, and Sunday. :P
I remember a bike ride, had to be about 20 years ago. Either me or a buddy got a new bike over winter and anxious to break it out. We found out there was going to be a warm/dry Saturday so we went for a big ride. Had to be close to 60 that.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:29 pm

There's no global warming though. :P

I remember last year in January that the arctic was in the 50's.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:19 pm

First forecast I heard yesterday was "rain moving out of the area this morning." As it wasn't raining, I was slightly confused. Then is started raining, then harder. By 5:00pm it was really coming down. At least my ditch work was functioning and on full display. The next forecast I heard was "rain Monday, rain Wednesday, rain Friday." Wonderful, I thought. Woke up to rain this morning. What...Today's forecast is, "cloudy today, rain tomorrow, snow Thursday."
Hmmm.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:04 pm

Thumper wrote:Twice since I've lived here: Saturday, and Sunday. :P
I remember a bike ride, had to be about 20 years ago. Either me or a buddy got a new bike over winter and anxious to break it out. We found out there was going to be a warm/dry Saturday so we went for a big ride. Had to be close to 60 that.

We were out hiking both Saturday and Sunday. That's not unusual, we hike in the winter, but it was about 60F around here too. The really weird part was we saw a green frog and some sliders (turtles) - normally you wouldn't see them till April or so, and we heard peepers calling.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:07 pm

Got my bike ride in! Yay!
Our low/high average today is 7/26, but we're at 32/36. Crazy. It's been like this for a week, and will continue....
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:17 pm

Swift wrote:

We were out hiking both Saturday and Sunday. That's not unusual, we hike in the winter, but it was about 60F around here too. The really weird part was we saw a green frog and some sliders (turtles) - normally you wouldn't see them till April or so, and we heard peepers calling.
You heard peepers? Holy cow.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:26 pm

Thumper wrote:
Swift wrote:

You heard peepers? Holy cow.

I think seeing the green frog surprised me even more. I didn't hear a lot of peepers, and it isn't uncommon for a couple to come out early. I've certainly heard them in late February or early March.

But a green frog! They don't usually come out till April. Same thing with the turtles.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:32 pm

The best I've come up with is a skunk. I knew extended warm temps would wake up a few. Drove through a fresh cloud of skunk essence yesterday morning.

I actually saw stars this morning. I was a little confused as to what they were. But forecast is for rain then rain/snow. I think any clear skies were gone before I pulled into the parking lot.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:26 pm

I will not complain about the weather today. I will not complain about the weather today. I will not complain about the weather today.

D@mn, this is hard.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:11 pm

Wind is meant to build up today.
I never mentioned this before but lifting the anchor in the wind is freaking hard when on your own. Far easier if someone can navigate while I direct and lift. With a winds like we've had it takes me several steps to get the anchor up. I'm estimating a load of about 200 pounds in 15 knots and I have to pull that by hand about 50 feet. There have been days I couldn't lift the damned thing with two hands and using a dead lift style so well over 400 pounds (I can dead lift over 400 pounds and couldn't even budge the chain). So it's like me climbing a 50 foot rope using only my hands. On a windless day it's more like 50 pounds. Still a lot when using hand over hand. Lets just say my arms and upper chest have increased significantly in the last few weeks due to the weather!
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:20 pm

vendic wrote:Wind is meant to build up today.
I never mentioned this before but lifting the anchor in the wind is freaking hard when on your own. Far easier if someone can navigate while I direct and lift. With a winds like we've had it takes me several steps to get the anchor up. I'm estimating a load of about 200 pounds in 15 knots and I have to pull that by hand about 50 feet. There have been days I couldn't lift the damned thing with two hands and using a dead lift style so well over 400 pounds (I can dead lift over 400 pounds and couldn't even budge the chain). So it's like me climbing a 50 foot rope using only my hands. On a windless day it's more like 50 pounds. Still a lot when using hand over hand. Lets just say my arms and upper chest have increased significantly in the last few weeks due to the weather!

Try Zee's patented Sailor Body Building Course and become the muscle man of the decade! Satisfaction Guaranteed!! :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby vendic » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:11 pm

Wind fueled body building!
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:34 pm

vendic wrote:Wind fueled body building!

It's environmentally friendly and reduces the carbon foot print. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby vendic » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:54 pm

Today will be fun. All three of us are now sick with this bug. All of us feel like crap and it's cold and raining all day without a break. Pulling anchor up in the rain sucks. It's very slippery and just miserable. We're getting about 1 amp in the batteries from the solar panels. Typically by now we are getting about 15-20. So our batteries are going to go down fast. At least the fridge is not working hard because it's so cold but that's not going to keep the batteries from discharging so we'll have to run the motor.
Oh, and the head is pretty much full so we have to pump out in the rain. Why the hell does it have to get full on the one day that it's raining?
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:46 pm

vendic wrote:Today will be fun. All three of us are now sick with this bug. All of us feel like crap and it's cold and raining all day without a break. Pulling anchor up in the rain sucks. It's very slippery and just miserable. We're getting about 1 amp in the batteries from the solar panels. Typically by now we are getting about 15-20. So our batteries are going to go down fast. At least the fridge is not working hard because it's so cold but that's not going to keep the batteries from discharging so we'll have to run the motor.
Oh, and the head is pretty much full so we have to pump out in the rain. Why the hell does it have to get full on the one day that it's raining?

There's a Rule. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby vendic » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:08 pm

Just don't try to talk to any deities for us...
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:56 pm

vendic wrote:Just don't try to talk to any deities for us...

I can help. Really I can. :twisted:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:09 pm

I saw the Sun. I swear to god. Well, not really but I did actually see the Sun, honest to.......
Did I mention I saw the sun?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:53 am

Thumper wrote:I saw the Sun. I swear to god. Well, not really but I did actually see the Sun, honest to.......
Did I mention I saw the sun?

But you didn't swear to god? :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:04 pm

I've been told swearing is bad.
Lot's of sunshine all weekend. It was very nice. Stars and planets and the Moon in the evenings. It was a welcome break. Forecast is for rain today, rain tonight tomorrow, rain Tuesday, and rain Wednesday. Temps coming up from 11 Saturday morning to 60 tomorrow.

Wee. (or Wii if you prefer)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:45 pm

Started raining last night, out front this morning I could see the vast Lake Thumper. Walking out to the garage this morning I could hear the roaring of Thumper Rapids. It'll get to 60 this afternoon.
Tomorrow it's supposed to snow...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:07 pm

Saw hawks migrating back North this morning.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Thumper » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:43 pm

Rain and 62 yesterday, rain and possible T-storms today, snow tonight, low of 17 tomorrow.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:57 pm

Thumper wrote:Rain and 62 yesterday, rain and possible T-storms today, snow tonight, low of 17 tomorrow.

Ice storms maybe?
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:00 pm

One day of bitter cold, it's 1 now. Friday's high is 43, and there is no other high below freezing in the 10 day forecast. WTF? It's been such a pathetic winter for Minnesota. Over 50% of the ground around here is bare of snow. We still have it because we're mostly in the shade. But with the warming and quick freezing we've had, it's practically an ice rink in our backyard. And not a good one.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around