Improv

Got a joke? Funny story?? Share it! (Cat memes WELCOME!)

Improv

Postby Thumper » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:29 am

We go to the comedy clubs occasionally. And I frequently listen to stand up comedians on a national syndicated morning show. I've not been to many improv presentations. That changed in the last month and specifically in the last week. Mrs. T got us and another couple tickets to a Valentine's Day improv special where they'd pull couples out of the audience, interview them, then do a long skit based on how and where they first met, mutual friends, activities, etc. We spent a few days in NYC last week. Since we couldn't get into the Broadway plays that The Kid wanted to see, she got us tickets to a couple of improv shows at very small theatres. Tons of them in Manhattan. So last night, in honor of it being basically the last night of her spring break, I got us tickets to an improv wars show. It was the semi final round where three troops competed to make it into the local finals in two weeks.

All were great. I love the way the different troops approach humor differently. We ended up seeing friends last night we hadn't seen in forever. And tonight, as one of the last Christmas presents to be dolled out, we're taking my parents out to dinner then to a Paula Poundstone show. The parents love Paula.

I like laughing.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Improv

Postby geonuc » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:01 pm

Thumper wrote:I like laughing.

They say it's good for you.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Ahh, Paula Poundstone! Wonder if she does current event stuff in her routine seeing as she has to do it every week anyway for NPR. ;)

Improv is definitely fun. Did my few courses in Amsterdam, and if there were still further courses to take I would have done so.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:45 pm

I have respect for improv comedians. Obviously, it takes quick wit. But the practice, preparation and hard work beforehand is obvious to me.

We saw Paula a couple of years ago. From what I remember, she did a mix of current events, random observations, and like family/household stuff. I just hope my Dad has his hearing aids dialed in correctly so he can hear the punch lines. ;)
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Humor