The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby Rommie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:24 pm

Indeed.

Our "once a century" storms this year have frustratingly shut down the Toronto Islands (basically this city's parkland and beaches) since early May, and they've now announced most areas won't be open all season. I mean, they're glorified sandbars which I don't think are meant to last long term- originally they were a peninsula which meant great harbor/ why Toronto was built here, until a giant storm in the 1800s destroyed the isthmus- but still sucks. Mainly because this is my one summer to enjoy them.

Ah well, what can you do...
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:56 pm

Rommie wrote:Indeed.

Our "once a century" storms this year have frustratingly shut down the Toronto Islands (basically this city's parkland and beaches) since early May, and they've now announced most areas won't be open all season. I mean, they're glorified sandbars which I don't think are meant to last long term- originally they were a peninsula which meant great harbor/ why Toronto was built here, until a giant storm in the 1800s destroyed the isthmus- but still sucks. Mainly because this is my one summer to enjoy them.

Ah well, what can you do...

Drink. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:31 am

After many days at or above 90, temps went down into the 50's last night. We were able to turn off the air and open the windows. It was nice. Had to mow yesterday though it was way too wet. Made a complete muddy mess of things. It's like mowing in April.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:16 am

We keep bouncing up and down between 90 and 105F over the period of 6-7 days. Haven't seen any serious rain since May.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:34 am

SciFiFisher wrote:Haven't seen any serious rain since May.
Isn't that fairly "normal"?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:25 pm

Thumper wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:Haven't seen any serious rain since May.
Isn't that fairly "normal"?

For here. Yes. We get most of our rain in the winter and spring. And summer is usually very dry. It’s probably a little more noticeable because we are still feeling the effects of the drought. Fires are still a nasty fact of life.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:42 pm

I was following the return flight of The Kid from the west coast on Flight Aware. I was able to click on a feature of the map that showed the dozens and dozens of low altitude no fly zones restricted to aerial fire suppression operations. They're all over.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:04 pm

We'll finally get a full weekend of sunny weather, if the weather people can be trusted. Some of the city beaches are partially re-opening. I believe the Beaches Jazz Festival is this weekend. Next weekend will be a long weekend and the Caribbean Carnival will wind down with the annual parade of dancers, bands , etc.
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:32 am

We got it too. Absolutely beautiful weekend. Spent most of it outside, spent a good portion of that time working hard. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Good weather, though a bit hot, through mid week.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:23 pm

So during the visit down to Pittsburgh this weekend there was an INSANE storm Friday night. I missed the brunt of it except for a ten minute bit where suddenly it was either "crawl at 20mph on the interstate with flashers on or just pull over altogether." THAT was stressful. Rest of the weekend was fine though, so nice to have the proper summer of my childhood memories. :)

Also good news, the Toronto islands are open as of today! (Well, one or two.) Wanna go over after work this week to check it out, but also promised a paper draft before I go on holiday to my boss, which is the whole point of being in Toronto, so guess I should do it even though it cramps with my summertime. :P
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby vendic » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:52 pm

Due to TS Emily we are listening to Queen.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Thumper » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:22 am

In honor of our friends' parents visiting in from Arizona, it will rain for the next 4 days.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:59 pm

Da weather is shot!
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby vendic » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:35 pm

The system that just went though was spiraling but never intensified. If it had, we as I write this, would be in the eye of the storm.
Invest 99L is currently a minor possibility of turning into a tc. The probability is really low but we're regularly checking since Emily was just a surprise to everyone.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFi Chick » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:23 pm

How 'bout that Hurrican Irma trajectory? :shock:
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby vendic » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:59 pm

Hurricane party on our boat if anyone is interested. :twisted:
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby vendic » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:03 pm

Well it looks like Irma will be a bad one do BVI, PR, DR, Haiti and Cuba. Either a direct strike through all or close enough to have serious winds and rain.
Still too early to tell anything for our situation but the weather forecast keeps raising wind speed and duration. We are now expecting tropical near storm winds for two days.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby vendic » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:41 pm

Latest update.
Expecting 59mph winds on Sunday.
Still early to tell yet but its looking worse for us as time passes.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:44 pm

vendic wrote:Latest update.
Expecting 59mph winds on Sunday.
Still early to tell yet but its looking worse for us as time passes.

Three hours later and we're planning to run from the hurricane in case it really does hit Florida. If it hits at its current size, it would easily cover the lower third of Florida.

Not sure how much more I can take...
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:27 am

Latest reports are that Washington, Oregon, California, Montana, and other states in the west are on fire. There are reports of the smoke being so bad that they are closing schools 2-300 miles from any of the fires. I am posting in the weather thread because it's the drought that has caused this. https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/western-wildfires
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:29 pm

Sunny and highs in the upper 80's for the foreseeable future. It may be fall but this is hotter/sunnier/drier than we had all summer.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:15 pm

90+ with a heat index near 100 in Minnesota on the first day of fall. Yowza.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:42 pm

It's a hoax!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Parrothead » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:58 pm

Supposed to feel like high 30's C, through the start of next week. Keeping the Hawaiian/Aloha shirts handy.

Invictus Games open in Toronto tomorrow.
Parrothead

Postby Parrothead » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:51 pm

Still sunny and hot. Spent 5 hours sitting in the stands at York U, watching some athletics events of the Invictus Games. Amongst those handing out medals today were Prince Harry, various gov't officials, Wayne Newton and Cdn sprinter Andre De Grasse. An entertaining afternoon.

Events are still going on for a couple of more hours. I'm home, gonna fix me a meal and a martini. Cheers.
Parrothead

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around