The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby Thumper » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:48 pm

Always good when martinis are in the forecast.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:31 am

Our mild fall/Indian Summer is finally coming to a close. My buddy texted from Ocean Isle NC that it was sunny and 79 Sunday. I texted back that it was Sunny and 76 in Cbus. Today it's 45 and rainy. High's in the 50's today, low's in the 30's. Let the furnace run last night just to make sure everything was working. I hear it's slightly warm in other parts of the country. I guess they were trying to keep the baseball from bursting into flames in LA last night. :P
Lotsa leaves have yet to fall. Several weeks of mowing left for sure.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:15 pm

Cool and crisp this morning. Thermometer said it was 33F outside my window. Radio weather and car thermometer confirmed. Very clear sky (I guess that's where all the heat went). Still didn't see any Orionids. :-)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:54 pm

58f here this morning.
All my balls went up...I have a Galeleo thermometer so heads out of the gutter :P
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Rommie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:31 pm

The past day or two were the first days that really felt like autumn. Even up here in Canada it was just too damn hot otherwise- went hiking on Sunday for a little leaf peeping, and the trail was beyond crowded as it was over 70F.

Normal and nice now. Biking in today was the first hint of "might snow sometime" in the air (hasn't frozen yet in the city, and doubt it will yet in the next week at least). On the one hand I'll be sad about it because no more biking, but on the other I'm pretty psyched to be two hours from a ski hill this winter and want the snow ASAP, even if it's Blue Mountain.

The one I'm not a fan of though this time of year is the dark. Incredible how the dark creeps up on you and you realize at some point you're going to be heading home from work in the dark for months. You'd think I'd get used to it one of these years, but I never do.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:47 pm

In January, there are entire work weeks where I never see my property in the light. It doesn't get light until I've been at work for a couple of hours. And it's dark long before I wander home in the evenings. Then Saturdays are weird.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:26 am

Record heat waves in Southern California. Many records broken this month. :o
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:28 am

SciFiFisher wrote:Record heat waves in Southern California. Many records broken this month. :o

Is it "normal" or unseasonably warm up by you guys?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Thumper wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:Record heat waves in Southern California. Many records broken this month. :o

Is it "normal" or unseasonably warm up by you guys?

I want to say it's slightly warmer than "normal". We have hit several 90+ days this month. We had a couple of days when the temp dropped down into the low 40's over night and now it has bounced back up to hanging out around 55 at night.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:00 pm

Snow!
I can't believe this is the first time there will (potentially) be measurable snow in October since 2009, when Buster was just 2 months old. And I can't believe I am still wearing that same winter coat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Rommie » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:04 pm

Wow!

I am totally going to refer you to my mom next time she complains that my jackets are too old and I need a new one. She only says that bc I tend to just borrow hers since she lives in Florida.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:38 pm

I've got a 2 year old moderate weather/windbreaker jacket. Other than that, my coats are 15, 20, and 25 years old.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:08 pm

It just depends on whether you find the right one. I kept that in the closet for a few years because it would get so dirty. Then I never got a coat that got me through the winter as well, so I brought it back out last year. Washing machines are your friends. :D
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:50 am

Woke up in Cleveland Saturday to 40 and rainy. The Kid said it snowed a bit on her down on campus. That was corroborated by some friends. So I missed the first snow of the season 33 and clear this morning. I'm guessing there was a decent frost, maybe the first as well. Still way too dark to tell.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:18 pm

Heavy frost this morning, snow and sleet tonight and tomorrow. 60's on Thursday...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:00 pm

Thumper wrote:I've got a 2 year old moderate weather/windbreaker jacket. Other than that, my coats are 15, 20, and 25 years old.

My heavy duty winter coat is at least 10 years old but still in great shape (I think I had a zipper fixed). But it was an expensive coat from an outdoor gear store that I got for a great price at the end of a season. If it ain't broke, why replace it?
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby geonuc » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:39 pm

Swift wrote:
Thumper wrote:I've got a 2 year old moderate weather/windbreaker jacket. Other than that, my coats are 15, 20, and 25 years old.

My heavy duty winter coat is at least 10 years old but still in great shape (I think I had a zipper fixed). But it was an expensive coat from an outdoor gear store that I got for a great price at the end of a season. If it ain't broke, why replace it?

I have a 44 year old authentic US navy issue peacoat that I don't use.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Swift » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:00 am

geonuc wrote:
Swift wrote:

And even when you used it, you only used it underwater.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby geonuc » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:44 am

Swift wrote:
geonuc wrote:
Swift wrote:

And even when you used it, you only used it underwater.

Yes, but it's dried out by now.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:50 pm

You guys win. :P
I just have varying weights and vintages of Carhartt jackets. Just realized that even my two insulated Carhartt bib coveralls and my prized Setter winter boots are all 15-20 years old.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Well, we had a white Christmas. Got a heavy dusting right before (maybe an inch and a half in places around me) and it stayed cold enough that it was still there on Christmas. Then another dusting, then Friday the 29th we got another 3-4 inches. Certainly nothing to brag about but we haven't seen double digit temps since then so most of it has stayed. That's all I care about, some beautiful winter weather snow.

Supposed to stay fairly cold then looks like it all melts sometime next week and we go back to grey and mud. We've had some of the brightest, crispest, beautiful days this last week or so. Hard to stay depressed with that. I've had more birds at my feeders than I've ever seen.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:40 pm

And the East Coast is getting clobbered with the mother of all cold fronts. They are expecting snow in Florida! :o
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:27 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:And the East Coast is getting clobbered with the mother of all cold fronts. They are expecting snow in Florida! :o

Proving that global warming is a Chinese hoax.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Yup...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:49 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:And the East Coast is getting clobbered with the mother of all cold fronts. They are expecting snow in Florida! :o

I read this morning that a city near Charleston got 7.3" of snow, which is more than we've had in the Twin Cities yet this season!

At least it's been frickin' cold, so that the piddly amount of snow we have gotten stayed around to provide a white Christmas. Much better than last year's Christmas thunderstorm!
pumpkinpi

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around