The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:56 pm

Then you would die laughing here when 2" closes virtually every district in the area...
My personal suspicion is that the districts close the schools because they can't trust that the children will be properly dressed while waiting for the buses.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:31 pm

Thumper wrote:
Swift wrote:
Thumper wrote: The dog and I were able to build a quick 5 foot snowman Saturday morning. :P

I'm trying to figure out what the dog's role in this might have been....
Mostly supervisory, inspection, and QC.

Man, I hate QC inspectors.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:37 pm

This one's usually pretty lenient. But he's on the take...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:38 pm

geonuc wrote:
Thumper wrote:
Swift wrote:
Thumper wrote: The dog and I were able to build a quick 5 foot snowman Saturday morning. :P

Awful early to be at the Pub already? :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:58 am

Thumper wrote:
geonuc wrote:
Thumper wrote:
Swift wrote:

Awful early to be at the Pub already? :P

Beer, it's not just for breakfast.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:37 pm

Yeah, that's gotten me into some trouble.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:38 pm

It is a balmy 9F outside in Toronto right now, with the high expected to reach a sweltering 18F. Ok, so slightly colder than usual, but the reason I'm entertained by this is my parents and aunt/uncle are coming in from Florida for the weekend. My great aunt (dad/uncle's aunt) is turning 95 tomorrow and resides in a nursing home in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area- it sprawls like the LA of Canada), so they're all coming up for the party. :cake: But, of course, my dad spent a few weeks complaining about coming to Toronto in early February before buying the plane ticket, so this is what he gets. :twisted:

Should be warmer (merely freezing) the rest of the weekend, and it should be a good one. I was thinking about it, a 95 year old birthday party is by definition the best kind because you've managed to be around so long (second only to a 96th bday party), and also my great aunt is awesome- she hasn't been able to walk for a decade due to severe arthritis, but is the kindest lady and her mind is still sharp. To give you an idea, she has a charcoal portrait of herself made in 1940 in her room, with a plane in it. I asked about the plane- "my boyfriend at the time was a pilot who commissioned it, so he asked the artist for the plane. He wanted to marry me, but because his job would have him away from home a few weeks at a time, he asked for an open marriage. I said 'yes, you can have an open marriage- the door is open, go find it with someone else!'"
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:13 pm

Rommie wrote:I said 'yes, you can have an open marriage- the door is open, go find it with someone else!'"
:P

After 9 days of Highs about 80 and Lows about 70. I flew back to Cbus to 6 inches of snow. It then proceeded to rain for then next 2 days with temps between 35 and 40. So nice flooded grey, brown slush everywhere. I haven't seen the sun since I drove to the Honolulu airport Thursday evening. It's currently about 29F. Oahu would be a nice place to retire.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:06 pm

Thumper wrote:
Rommie wrote:I said 'yes, you can have an open marriage- the door is open, go find it with someone else!'"
:P

After 9 days of Highs about 80 and Lows about 70. I flew back to Cbus to 6 inches of snow. It then proceeded to rain for then next 2 days with temps between 35 and 40. So nice flooded grey, brown slush everywhere. I haven't seen the sun since I drove to the Honolulu airport Thursday evening. It's currently about 29F. Oahu would be a nice place to retire.

So, how was Hawaii (beside the weather)?
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:24 pm

We were only on one island Oahu, spent most of the time in Honolulu proper. But did get out to do a loop of the island one day. Got up to North Shore, then over to Lanakai. Spent a whole day at Pearl Harbor, could have spent another day. Hiked Diamond Head and Manoa Falls. Went on a whale watching cruise (saw whales). We had a really nice time. It was relaxing and pleasant, even in the busy high rise Waikiki district. Though it rained a little almost every day, it was still nice and pleasant. In our hotel, the windows opened all the way and we slept with them all open every night. The ocean breezes were wonderful. Pretty much all of the people we dealt with were very nice, friendly and polite. This goes triple to every single person we talked to at our Hotel: The Prince Waikiki. They were absolutely wonderful. The attendants at the club lounge hugged us on our last day there. I would love to explore the island more and visit other islands. The only hard part is getting there and back. I'm not totally a fan of 8 hour flights if I can't get up and run around some. And the time difference took a while to get used to (twice).
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:20 pm

Awesome. Hawaii remains one of our top vacation spots. We've been three times (over a period of about 25 years) and I'd go back anytime.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:08 pm

Swift wrote:Awesome. Hawaii remains one of our top vacation spots. We've been three times (over a period of about 25 years) and I'd go back anytime.

Where do you like to go there?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:07 pm

Thumper wrote:
Swift wrote:Awesome. Hawaii remains one of our top vacation spots. We've been three times (over a period of about 25 years) and I'd go back anytime.

We've been three times.

The first time I was going to a conference in Honolulu. I went to the conference while my wife kicked around Oahu (so I didn't see a lot of Oahu). We then island-hopped: a couple of days on Maui, and a couple of days on the Big Island.

The second time was a very last minute trip in 2001, as a substitute for a canceled Costa Rica trip (another story). That trip was a week on the Big Island, split between staying in Hilo and staying in Kona.

Last trip was split between Kauai and the Big Island.

We've liked all the islands, but as you might guess, the Big Island is our favorite. I mean... volcanoes!!!!!! Not to mention it is a lot less touristy than Oahu or Maui, there is a ton of stuff to see (not just volcanoes) - for example, we've had some really good snorkeling from beaches on the Big Island. Last time we did the tour up to the observatories (and had snow in Hawaii). Hilo is a very cool old town.

But there have been things we liked on every island we've gone to.

Here is the photo book from my last trip.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AbtmbdkzbNmb3Q

Swift

Postby Rommie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:44 pm

I need to get to Hawaii. Still haven't been! Granted, whenever I mention this these days, people tell me to just plan my honeymoon there because surely I'll be engaged soon. :)

Speaking of better weather, I'm super excited because it's a long weekend in Canada this weekend too, and some months ago a friend from high school and I booked tickets to Mexico City! She lives in Chicago, so our criteria was "somewhere warmer than Chicago/Toronto in February," and worked it out from there from flight prices- I've still got some sticker shock that New Orleans was over $1200 from here. :? Anyway, looking like 70s and sunny, and we're both really keen to see some archeological stuff and eat tacos/ drink agave products, so I'm sure it'll be a nice time.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Rommie wrote:Speaking of better weather, I'm super excited because it's a long weekend in Canada this weekend too,
I didn't know you guys celebrate President's Day too!
Rommie wrote: our criteria was "somewhere warmer than Chicago/Toronto in February
It'll be 60F in Cbus tomorrow...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:48 pm

Swift wrote:
Thumper wrote:

We've been three times.

The first time I was going to a conference in Honolulu. I went to the conference while my wife kicked around Oahu (so I didn't see a lot of Oahu). We then island-hopped: a couple of days on Maui, and a couple of days on the Big Island.

The second time was a very last minute trip in 2001, as a substitute for a canceled Costa Rica trip (another story). That trip was a week on the Big Island, split between staying in Hilo and staying in Kona.

Last trip was split between Kauai and the Big Island.

We've liked all the islands, but as you might guess, the Big Island is our favorite. I mean... volcanoes!!!!!! Not to mention it is a lot less touristy than Oahu or Maui, there is a ton of stuff to see (not just volcanoes) - for example, we've had some really good snorkeling from beaches on the Big Island. Last time we did the tour up to the observatories (and had snow in Hawaii). Hilo is a very cool old town.

But there have been things we liked on every island we've gone to.

Here is the photo book from my last trip.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AbtmbdkzbNmb3Q
Beautiful. Mrs. T would be very jealous of seeing turtles so close. Although we did see a couple in the bay and I actually got a decent picture of them. Your pic of the little fern frond reminded me of some gigantic ferns we saw hiking up to Moana falls. Just beautiful sites every where you turn. Mentioned our trip to a buddy and he recounted his 2011 trip there in the service of the Air Force. Said it was his best trip of all time.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:58 pm

Thumper wrote:
Rommie wrote:Speaking of better weather, I'm super excited because it's a long weekend in Canada this weekend too,
Rommie wrote: our criteria was "somewhere warmer than Chicago/Toronto in February

1) It's "Family Day" here. Whatever that means.

2) I think we're supposed to hit 45F tomorrow! Today's the first day above freezing. Also the first day of 2018 that rode my bike to work instead of walking! Amazing how even though I walk everywhere and ski and stuff, I definitely had some muscles atrophy that I use for biking. Can't blame it all on the air in tires or lack thereof.
Rommie

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:49 pm

Rommie wrote:
Thumper wrote:

1) It's "Family Day" here. Whatever that means.

2) I think we're supposed to hit 45F tomorrow! Today's the first day above freezing. Also the first day of 2018 that rode my bike to work instead of walking! Amazing how even though I walk everywhere and ski and stuff, I definitely had some muscles atrophy that I use for biking. Can't blame it all on the air in tires or lack thereof.

I'm still looking forward to my first day I can bike into my new office, a 1 mile commute. We've been here a month, and it's been in the single digits to below zero for most of that time frame, with just enough snowfalls spaced out so that the roads stay gunky. It's a 45 degree day here too, but it was 15 to start off, and I would have had to prepare two different biking outfits. Too much of a hassle. I might get to bike later this week or next.

I am proud to say that I have walked in every day but two. Those were days that I needed the car either to carry in something big or for a mid day meeting. I don't let the cold stop me. If you are bundled up properly, a negative double digit walk is just fine!

And I even did walk home uphill in a snowstorm one of those days. It was an absolute mess--8" deep on sidewalks, heading right into the wind. Uhg.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Rommie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:27 pm

Yeah, the coldest walk in I did this year was about the same distance, when it was -20C or so (so, 4F). I literally just wore everything I wear for skiing, and then it was totally fine. :)

Had it been windy though, I might have reconsidered. Pretty sure at those temps frostbite would have gotten to me.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:47 pm

You two just love to brag. Rub it in. :P 55 going to 65 here. It rained all day, all night, and is supposed to rain all day today. I thought I saw a carp in my front yard this morning. Strange that there are still some small piles of snow around where I shoveled Friday...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:51 pm

Yup, bragging about cold weather! I am not looking forward to it getting warmer because I don't want to break a sweat. :lol:

I did bike today (and did sweat a bit) because it's about 30F now. The biggest problem is my bike. I have an indoor hanging rack, and it's just a bit to high for my short self to hang it up easily. I strained my back and shoulder a bit.

I'm gonna need a lighter bike......
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:33 pm

We all need lighter bikes! :P
Any chance you can extend the hooks a bit to make it hang a bit lower? I should talk. I wanted to hang up the girls' bikes to clean up the garage space a bit but never came up with an idea to make it easier for them to get down. So now The Kid has hers on campus, and Mrs. T's is out in the barn.

Congrats on the ride, don't you have some sort of streak going?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Thumper wrote:We all need lighter bikes! :P
Any chance you can extend the hooks a bit to make it hang a bit lower? I should talk. I wanted to hang up the girls' bikes to clean up the garage space a bit but never came up with an idea to make it easier for them to get down. So now The Kid has hers on campus, and Mrs. T's is out in the barn.

Congrats on the ride, don't you have some sort of streak going?

The hooks are the black doo-hickeys poking out of the tops of the curvey-magiggers. Even the lower one is just an inch or two too high for me.

I am now at 47 straight months biking! And I think only 2-3 of those months did not include a commute to work. :dance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:55 pm

Congrats! And that's quite a garage you got there. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:27 pm

65 yesterday and rain all day. Went to bed with thunderstorms. Lots of lightning. Raining this morning. Standing water everywhere. Down to 20 tonight, snow on Saturday. Up to 70 on Tuesday. (With lots of rain much of the week.)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around