The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby Thumper » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:54 pm

I'm relieved now. It's supposed to start raining this afternoon and rain for the next 3 days.
Back to normal.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:45 am

Heavy rains the last couple days have reinvigorated the bull frogs and the peepers. They were making a bunch of noise last night in between showers.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:32 pm

Plenty warm around here. Temps in the 90's the last few days in the city. More of the same predicted this week, with thundershowers. I wasn't quite as hot out at our place but it was 96 in my garage as I putting the mower away yesterday.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:25 pm

We went over 100F this past week-end. Supposed to be in the high 90's all week. Rain... Well, that might happen once or twice between now and September.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:09 pm

Hit the 90s this past weekend in Toronto. That didn't happen all of last year that I can recall! It's amazing how much A/C insulates you from the reality though- this is my first time having a place with full A/C, and can't complain.

Also kinda insane how despite the heat I managed to get a cold. :( This is literally my first illness of any kind since Easter 2017 though (excepting a twisted ankle once), so can't complain.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:27 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:We went over 100F this past week-end. Supposed to be in the high 90's all week. Rain... Well, that might happen once or twice between now and September.

Any fires anywhere near you guys?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:57 pm

Thumper wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:We went over 100F this past week-end. Supposed to be in the high 90's all week. Rain... Well, that might happen once or twice between now and September.

Any fires anywhere near you guys?

Not so far. Plenty of fires farther away from us though. And we have had some air quality issues on and off. :(
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:25 pm

Heard an interview on NPR the other day with a climatologist I believe. The reporter asked him if we can say any one particular storm was caused by climate change? His response was that we were asking the wrong question. If we ask if any specific hurricane, tornado, etc was the result of climate change we cannot say irrefutably that climate change did that. BUT... if we ask if climate change is making weather more severe and more catastrophic then we can definitely show a link to climate change and severe weather.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:18 am

Yeah, kinda silly to ask if one storm is the result of climate change.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:54 pm

Thumper wrote:Yeah, kinda silly to ask if one storm is the result of climate change.

I think the question was driven by the way people think. "Is that climate change?! If you can't tell me that was climate change how do I know climate change is real?"
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:25 pm

I guess if you don't understand the significance of a sea rise of just one inch, or and increase in the average temperature of just one degree....If you don't understand just how much energy that is added to the system, then you'll shrug it off until Cat 5 after Cat 5 after F5 storms fueled by all that extra energy, keeps pounding the $hit out of you. Then you'll finally ask an expert, "was that storm the result of climate change?" ;)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:24 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:Heard an interview on NPR the other day with a climatologist I believe. The reporter asked him if we can say any one particular storm was caused by climate change? His response was that we were asking the wrong question. If we ask if any specific hurricane, tornado, etc was the result of climate change we cannot say irrefutably that climate change did that. BUT... if we ask if climate change is making weather more severe and more catastrophic then we can definitely show a link to climate change and severe weather.

I did hear a talk from a Dutch climate scientist who got into this though, and was given the impression that this is changing for bigger weather phenomena like heat waves. Like, for a heat wave a few years ago in Europe, they could say that that wasn't caused by climate change, but a particularly large storm that caused a giant deluge across the entire continent likely was.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:30 am

Back to normal: No sign of light in the east as I drive to work. Nice and pitch black. It'll be this way now until late May. It's been fairly hot here, not cooling down in the evenings, and the humidity is often quite high. So we've made the excuse to keep the air on, you know, so the dog is comfortable. :P There have been some absolutely pleasant days, and some that have been quite muggy. Only thing not quite normal is there's been enough consistent rain that the grass continues to grow like gangbusters. Often we can take some weeks off in August because it has gone dormant from the dry and heat.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:46 am

Multiple 100 degree days here in Central Oregon, plus haze from fires.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:27 am

My buddy is dropping his son off at Arizona State this weekend. I texted him that "I hear Arizona is wonderful this time of year."
He texted me back some dirty words.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:18 am

Finally a cool, not quite so humid evening. We've had the windows open and escaped needing to use A/C the last week, but the house hasn't cooled down in the evenings. This morning it was colder in the house than it usually is in the dead of winter. A clear pleasant evening and a clear pleasant morning. I drove to work with all the windows up for the first time since May.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:45 pm

We are dropping down to mid-high 80's this week. Night time temps are dropping to the high-50's. We may get a last burst of hotter temps next week or the first couple of weeks of September. Still a few weeks away from our "rainy" season.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:11 pm

Last night was the first time down into the 50's all summer. This has been the wettest August I can remember. Normally, I'm skipping weeks of mowing by now. I haven't skipped a week all summer and I'm still making wind rows of cut wet grass. Temps and humidity going back up next week.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:49 pm

Yesterday was the first day walking to work this year where there was the slightest bite in the air that reminded me of fall. Then I got super excited for fall, because honestly while summer is great I think autumn is my favorite season.

I'm particularly excited for fall this year btw because it's gonna be the bf's first time in North America for it. I keep telling him how awesome it's going to be, and I think he's confused because he's seen leaves change before and all, but you really don't get it if you live in Europe! The colors are nowhere near as vibrant, and those blue sky days are incredible.
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:07 pm

Rommie wrote:Yesterday was the first day walking to work this year where there was the slightest bite in the air that reminded me of fall. Then I got super excited for fall, because honestly while summer is great I think autumn is my favorite season.

I'm particularly excited for fall this year btw because it's gonna be the bf's first time in North America for it. I keep telling him how awesome it's going to be, and I think he's confused because he's seen leaves change before and all, but you really don't get it if you live in Europe! The colors are nowhere near as vibrant, and those blue sky days are incredible.

Autumn is definitely my favorite, and I'm really looking forward to it this year since I missed it for the last two years. Winter used to be my least favorite, but at the moment, summer has moved into that position. I realize spending over a year in Florida with no air conditioning has caused a bias, but being rational about it doesn't change my feelings. I look forward to hearing what the bf thinks. I remember when I kept telling my husband how awesome the Grand Canyon is, but no matter how much you explain, there is nothing like seeing it.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Rommie » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:42 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
Rommie wrote:Yesterday was the first day walking to work this year where there was the slightest bite in the air that reminded me of fall. Then I got super excited for fall, because honestly while summer is great I think autumn is my favorite season.

Autumn is definitely my favorite, and I'm really looking forward to it this year since I missed it for the last two years. Winter used to be my least favorite, but at the moment, summer has moved into that position. I realize spending over a year in Florida with no air conditioning has caused a bias, but being rational about it doesn't change my feelings. I look forward to hearing what the bf thinks. I remember when I kept telling my husband how awesome the Grand Canyon is, but no matter how much you explain, there is nothing like seeing it.

Will do! Fun thing, looks like we can get a cheap car off a relative in NH this October, provided we drive it from there to Toronto, which is a 9 hour drive (got a parking spot with the apartment right now we only use for visitors). So looks like a road trip across the prettiest foliage of NH/Vermont/Quebec in peak season is in order, he's not gonna know what hit him. :)
Rommie

Postby Loresinger » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Quebec... Fall.. a REAL Rose and cheese

What's not to love?
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Postby SciFi Chick » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:17 am

So Hurricane Florence... will she or won't she?
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:09 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:So Hurricane Florence... will she or won't she?

It depends on how tipsy she is. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:39 am

While we're waiting to see what Florence is going to do, we're getting the aftermath of Gordon here. It was blisteringly hot and humid last week. As late as Thursday, I was in nothing but shorts and boots sweating my $#@@& off 90F outside at 8:00pm. Saturday I was shivering after walking in a56F rain. As of yesterday at 11:00am, we've gotten 3.5in of rain in the last couple of days, and it was still coming down most of the afternoon. Went from A/C, to windows, to windows shut in 24 hours.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around