I'm good for some of them...

Can't have a bar without a Grill... So here's where we discuss great (and no so great) food. The good, the bad and the "even the dog won't eat it" mistakes of our culinary attempts...

I'm good for some of them...

Postby cid » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:08 am

Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Re: I'm good for some of them...

Postby geonuc » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:08 am

I've attempted all of them, but I don't think pizza should be included unless you're willing to disable your oven's cleaning cycle interlock, allowing it to get to the high temperature necessary for proper pizza-making. Or you have a Big Green Egg.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby FZR1KG » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:18 pm

They missed bolognese. :shock:
All credibility is lost.

BTW, al'dente pasta. Every adult needs to know how to cook that.
FZR1KG

Postby FZR1KG » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:27 pm

geonuc wrote:I've attempted all of them, but I don't think pizza should be included unless you're willing to disable your oven's cleaning cycle interlock, allowing it to get to the high temperature necessary for proper pizza-making. Or you have a Big Green Egg.

You can still make a good pizza with an oven that goes to about 450 or above.
You just have to be more selective with the base.
Deep dish works well as you're making basically bread with topping.
If you don't like deep dish it gets more tricky as the base cooks at a different rate to the topping but can still be done if your really keen...or insane.

I've done it using a combination of oven and broiler too but it's a PITA to cook and very little room for error.
Blackened pizza anyone?

The ideal pizza oven would be one where the top and bottom elements are under independent control. It would require a lot of setup to get it right though. You could then cook the base vs the top at different rates using a combination of radiant heat and conventional oven.

Hmmm. Sounds a like an interesting design project. One day...
FZR1KG

Postby brite » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:23 pm

If you "pre-bake" your crust for about 7-10 minutes before adding your toppings, you don't get the soggy crust... and don't forget to dock it (poke a ton of little holes into the crust before pre-baking) so the crust doesn't bubble up. :)
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby FZR1KG » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:08 pm

I've never really liked the way any of my pre-baked bases comes out in the past.
I haven't tried the new dough recipie we use currently as a pre-bake so I think that might be on the cards soon. :D
FZR1KG

Postby FZR1KG » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:11 pm

On a side note, while we were at the boat this weekend a group of boat owners invited us to a meal, bbq chicken. So I offered to bring some bolognese. When we came back from shopping, we were told by the host that one of the guys heard me say we were bringing a bowl of eggs. "WTF would anyone bring a bowl of eggs", was his response. LOL

Oh yes, boat...need to bring you up to speed...
Last edited by FZR1KG on Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FZR1KG

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:59 am

The gist of the article seems to be that you should have a good repertoire of dishes that you can whip up on short notice and do it successfully. I think that we have a few favorite dishes that we think should have been included. I would never have included tofu stir fry on the list. if you have vegan friends it might be a good one to know. But, I do a mean stir fry with just about everything else. So, tossing some form of vegan protein wouldn't much of a stretch.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to .... And Grill