Politics

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

Politics

Postby SciFi Chick » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:51 pm

I really wish people would quit giving Melania Trump shit. She submitted her bio to the White House website, and it's about her modeling career as well as her jewelry line, and both the media and a bunch of assholes are deriding her for it.

I wonder if any of these "critics" can speak six languages.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Re: Politics

Postby Cyborg Girl » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:15 pm

IMO it's not her fault that Donald wants to use the office for business interests. Or her fault that almost anything, really. Donald is a pompous, abusive, controlling sack of shit.

However, using a public office to advertise your businesses is illegal.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby DimSum » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:45 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:I really wish people would quit giving Melania Trump shit. She submitted her bio to the White House website, and it's about her modeling career as well as her jewelry line, and both the media and a bunch of assholes are deriding her for it.

I wonder if any of these "critics" can speak six languages.

It's fabulous that she speaks six languages!! However, advertising her jewelry line on the White House website, as previously pointed out is illegal. Her modeling career, however dubious, is there for all the world to see. I'm not knocking it, she has a nice body (for all that I want to feed the woman a sandwich), but all the bitching about Mrs. Obama's body and her wanting people to eat better and people being OK with the current Mrs. Trump having posed nude strikes me as more than a bit hypocritical.
DimSum

Postby vendic » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:35 am

Hypocrisy, politics, apart from spelling, is there a real difference? lol
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:50 pm

vendic wrote:Hypocrisy, politics, apart from spelling, is there a real difference? lol

I understand that politics pays better. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby vendic » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:02 pm

There's a joke right there.

What's the difference between hypocrisy and politics?
The latter comes with huge benefits.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby code monkey » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:24 pm

do you recall the things that were said and written about michelle, malia and sasha Obama? no comparison.

melania is perfectly happy to stay with a person whom I see as a monster. I don't care how physically beautiful she is or how many languages she speaks; in my book that makes her pretty monstrous.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby squ1d » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:06 am

1. The illegal thing

2. Fuck anyone with the surname Trump
squ1d

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:22 pm

code monkey wrote:do you recall the things that were said and written about michelle, malia and sasha Obama? no comparison.

So it's time to seek revenge and behave exactly like the people we oppose?

melania is perfectly happy to stay with a person whom I see as a monster. I don't care how physically beautiful she is or how many languages she speaks; in my book that makes her pretty monstrous.

Her body language indicates that she's being abused. I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt, for the moment.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:23 pm

squ1d wrote:1. The illegal thing

What illegal thing?

Including their ten-year-old son?
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Rommie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:17 pm

I genuinely haven't really heard about anyone giving Melania grief. Is this seriously a thing, more than a rabid idiot fringe who is always inevitably doing that stuff?

I always never gave a shit about the first lady and what she chose to do or not do, because let's be honest, no one votes for them. And as a woman, it always struck me as strange that they should be part of the conversation at all, because it always struck me as a bit sexist to care at all. So that may well be why I don't pay attention.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby squ1d » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:24 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:

What illegal thing?

1. Using public office to advertise your businesses
2. Monster-in-training
squ1d

Postby Swift » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:17 pm

Rommie wrote:I genuinely haven't really heard about anyone giving Melania grief. Is this seriously a thing, more than a rabid idiot fringe who is always inevitably doing that stuff?

I am having an increasing problem differentiating between rabid idiot fringe and whatever the opposite of that is. But yes, I have seen stuff on social media (Facebook) mocking Melania. For example, I saw some mocking her powder blue outfit and saying she was stealing from Jackie Kennedy.

And I'm with SFC that she (at least until she does something worse than clothing choices) and particularly their young son should be off limits. Their adult children may or may not be fair game.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby vendic » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:07 pm

What's the difference between a Rottweiler and political journalists?

The former lets go when you hit it hard enough on the head.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:18 pm

vendic wrote:What's the difference between a Rottweiler and political journalists?

The former lets go when you hit it hard enough on the head.

roll:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby DimSum » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:40 am

squ1d wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:

What illegal thing?

1. Using public office to advertise your businesses
2. Monster-in-training

Barron (the 10 year old) is off limits. The adults have injected themselves into the political process, they are fair game. Melania is pretty much off limits. She has done nothing but marry a serial abuser. At best she needs someone to help her get out, when she's ready.
DimSum

Postby squ1d » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:53 am

Melania is a victim why now?

Because vagina?
squ1d

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:36 pm

squ1d wrote:Melania is a victim why now?

Because vagina?

Watch the body language and the interactions between her and Trump. There are a lot of the same cues that you see in an abusive relationship. Of course, without a black eye or two or Melania actually saying that is the case it may never be proven.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby squ1d » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:42 pm

So Melania is off limits but you're allowed to speculate that she's in an abusive relationship?
squ1d

Postby DimSum » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:50 pm

squ1d wrote:So Melania is off limits but you're allowed to speculate that she's in an abusive relationship?
No.... she's off limits because she didn't and hasn't injected herself into the political arena. The fact that she is married to a serial abuser is secondary.

But just as important.
DimSum

Postby Tarragon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:07 pm

Should Melania and Barron be off limits? There are two ways of looking at this.

Going after them is not the decent thing to do. They haven't done anything wrong and are decent people until they prove otherwise. Thus, nice won't target them. The response is a quote, "nice people made the best Nazis."

I agree that it's not decent to make fun of innocent people, but there are people who think we're not living in decent times. We've entered a new Cold War, but it's a Cold Civil War. Right now it's mostly a war of words, but it may turn hot. The attacks on Melania and Barron are intended to provoke Trump to commit acts that are criminal or immoral that can be used against him as grounds for impeachment or as justification for direct action (civil disobedience or rebellion).

Melania and Barron seem like decent people, so we want them to be OK. If Trump is impeached, they'll survive. If a sense of decency at present compels people to allow Trump to do enough bad stuff that someone decides to attack him later, the decent people around him might get hurt or killed.

Is the survival of the planet worth the temporary self-esteem of one person?
Tarragon

Postby squ1d » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:10 pm

DimSum wrote:
squ1d wrote:So Melania is off limits but you're allowed to speculate that she's in an abusive relationship?
No.... she's off limits because she didn't and hasn't injected herself into the political arena. The fact that she is married to a serial abuser is secondary.

But just as important.

So you are then?
squ1d

Postby DimSum » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:30 pm

squ1d wrote:
DimSum wrote:

But just as important.

So you are then?
Am I what? Nice? No. Speculating? No. He is condemned by his own words and actions. Would I (or did I) pick on the Bush girls, in their time? No. Even when they were picked up for underage drinking, which I thought was a bit foolish, but they weren't part of the political landscape. Their parents were, their father, more than their mother. Did I refer to GW Bush as anything other than Mr. Bush or POTUS? I tried not to. He was President of the United States. I didn't like him, I didn't vote for him, but he held the highest office in the country. He drew my ire, repeatedly. I spoke out against him, often. I thought his policies sucked. But he didn't condemn himself as a serial abuser of women, a misogynist, a bigot, a racist or someone with an alternate view of reality either.
DimSum

Postby code monkey » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:52 am

code monkey wrote:do you recall the things that were said and written about michelle, malia and sasha Obama? no comparison.

SciFi Chick wrote:So it's time to seek revenge and behave exactly like the people we oppose?

code monkey wrote:no, not at all. I never said that nor did I mean to imply it. (as for revenge, that would have it directed at the wrong target.) however, I've not forgotten rush Limbaugh referring to Chelsea Clinton as the white house dog, the cartoons of the Obama girls or michelle Obama being called a gorilla in heels. I consider those far worse than the criticism aimed at mrs trump.

code monkey wrote:melania is perfectly happy to stay with a person whom I see as a monster. I don't care how physically beautiful she is or how many languages she speaks; in my book that makes her pretty monstrous.

SciFi Chick wrote:Her body language indicates that she's being abused. I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt, for the moment.

code monkey wrote:many people have said that and I think that there's a fair amount of projection involved. body language is far from a science and this conclusion is based on seeing brief films of her.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Return to Poli-Tics