Mollie Tibbets

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

Mollie Tibbets

Postby Rommie » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:39 pm

So while the rest of the world saw in an hour that Donald Trump is an irreparably criminal president this week, it came to my attention that the conservative side of things are obsessing right now over the case of a young woman who was murdered in Iowa, Mollie Tibbets. Apparently there was a guy whose advances she kept ignoring, she went jogging, and was attacked and murdered by said man who was born in Mexico but was in the country illegally. (Or, that said, maybe not, his lawyer says he's here legally. It's frankly not clear to me reading up on the case.)

Now firstly, apparently her family is asking her case not be politicized. But second, I realized reading the case that it actually bothered me a bit, and forgive me if this gets a bit BMR, but I think my issue reading about this is it's being sold as a case about the issue of illegal immigration. And it's not the root of the problem. Violence against women like this does not only happen from illegal immigrant men with brown skin. Plenty of men born in the USA feel entitled to a woman's attention then act violently against them when rebuffed. If people truly cared about this woman's death from such horrific circumstances we would be discussing that, not just how a wall at the border would have stopped this particular tragedy.

Hope that makes sense, I'm not sure if I've articulated it well enough.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: Mollie Tibbets

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:01 pm

You've articulated it perfectly well, and I agree 100%. I have issues with illegal immigration. I think we all know I'm against that as well as open borders, but I've seen this trend of pointing out violent crimes by illegal immigrants as though we would all be safer if they weren't here. Absolute rubbish. I saw that posted on Facebook, and I didn't even look at it. I don't care that an illegal immigrant murdered her. I care that she was murdered.

But they're trying to put forward the narrative that if people will break a law to get into the country, they'll break any law. Again, absolute rubbish.

In fact, I just posted about a horrific murder where I'd like to see the death penalty implemented, and I'm pretty sure this asshole is a U.S. citizen.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Rommie » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:53 pm

Exactly! And then when yet another mass shooting happens, what's the first thing the same folks say? "Don't politicize the tragedy!" :roll:
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:26 pm

Rommie wrote:Exactly! And then when yet another mass shooting happens, what's the first thing the same folks say? "Don't politicize the tragedy!" :roll:

Indeed. They say this while politicizing it on their side.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:18 pm

^^^^ 100%
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:21 pm

But... Oh hell. I can't do it. Not even in snarkiness.

It's horrendous no matter how you slice it.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:22 pm

Rommie wrote:Exactly! And then when yet another mass shooting happens, what's the first thing the same folks say? "Don't politicize the tragedy!" :roll:

Or "it's too soon to talk about that. Let people grieve first." :scream:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:31 pm

Thoughts and prayers.....
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:58 am

Oh gods. Another mass shooting. Here we go. :(
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:14 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:Oh gods. Another mass shooting. Here we go. :(

Sadly, I am actually relieved that "only" two people were killed and 11 injured.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Poli-Tics