Michael Cohen delays testimony, claims threats to his family

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

Michael Cohen delays testimony, claims threats to his family

Postby lady_*nix » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:06 pm

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nat ... story.html

IDK about hist trustworthiness on this statement, or whether this is legally reasonable; but at a glance I don't see why he'd want to delay out of his own interests. And witness intimidation is... not exactly new territory for Trump, nor is threatening harm to children to get what he wants. (See: Stormy Daniels, CPB child separation policy.)

Let's face it, you wouldn't put this past him, would you? But good luck getting the Republican party to care. (This is after all what they stand for.)
lady_*nix

Re: Michael Cohen delays testimony, claims threats to his fa

Postby Rommie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:18 pm

While I don't think the Republicans would care, I suspect the new Congressional members who were just appointed to the House Oversight Committee sure will. And it's not part of the Mueller probe if true, so they can go to town on it.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Rommie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:31 pm

And Cohen is subpoenaed. That didn't take long.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:45 pm

Yeah, just saw that. The committee heads had said they were sympathetic to Cohen's concern for his family's safety but that not testifying was never an option. They offered to work with law enforcement to secure protection for Cohen and his family but Cohen's atty's have so far not involved law enforcement in this issue. I suspect it has to do with exposing more possible crimes possibly with the involvement of one of the family members and Cohen wants to keep them out of it if at all possible.

I suspect this will get messier before it gets clearer and that's just what Trump wants to keep things murky enough that he skates away as usual.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:03 pm

Yes. I too would have been astounded had he not just gotten a subpoena to appear. But then, I also suspect the Russia stuff is going to be behind closed doors anyway because it's classified- I guess there's plenty of Stormy Daniels salaciousness to discuss in public though.
Rommie

Postby lady_*nix » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:29 pm

TBH I'm shocked that happened at all, but you know me; I'm cynical to the point of denialism sometimes.
lady_*nix

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:34 pm

One difference is that the original testimony was going to be before the House in a fairly open forum. The subpoena is from the Senate Intelligence Committee and will be behind closed doors.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Poli-Tics