The Persecution of Christians

OK... no matter what you believe... discuss it here. All beliefs, faiths and religions (and non-religions) allowed. Discuss the meaning of life, death and everything in between... just remember... not everyone believes the way that you do...

The Persecution of Christians

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:19 am

Can we talk about what it isn't, please?

It isn't persecution when you're told you need to abide by the First Amendment.
It isn't persecution when you're told you need to haul that cross off the schoolroom wall.
It isn't persecution when you're told you need to refrain from building a twenty foot high granite monument to the ten commandments on the courthouse lawn.
It isn't persecution when you're told you need to stop trying to force others to adopt your beliefs and morality by force of law.
It isn't persecution when you're told you need to back the fuck off with the proselytizing, because you're in my personal space.
It isn't persecution when you're told you need to recognize that secularism and state neutrality regarding religion is not the same as government denunciation of Christianity and advocacy of atheism.
It isn't persecution when you're told you need to stop claiming your ideas are immune from criticism and that you have the right not to be offended.
It isn't persecution when you're told you need to let others hold whatever beliefs they want, even if that means they don't love Jesus.
It isn't persecution when you're told you need to stop claiming all non-Christians are evil and deserve to be tortured in a pit of fire forever.
It isn't persecution when you're told you need to realize that when people disagree with you, you aren't being disrespected, insulted, or otherwise told to be silent.
It isn't persecution when you're told you need to realize that when you claim a person disagreeing with you is persecuting you, you are exercising your religious privilege to maintain dominance over a minority and to silence them.

This post brought to you by a profoundly irritating religious conversation elsewhere on the internet, and by Christian/theistic privilege. Thank you.

Edit: I'd also like to add that if you don't see the incongruity is first saying "Every religious group is protected by political correctness - except for Christianity, which is the only religion it is acceptable to insult" and then saying "Atheists are the most hateful people in the world. If you spend so much time hating god, you must believe in him" and your comment is then followed by about thirty comments by others expressing agreement with you... well. Your blindness to your own privilege and your martyr complex are pretty full-bore, aren't they?
Last edited by The Supreme Canuck on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Supreme Canuck

Re: The Persecution of Christians

Postby cid » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:34 am

A list of extremely pertinent and totally valid points expressed very well.

And you're welcome.
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Postby code monkey » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:40 am

cid wrote:A list of extremely pertinent and totally valid points expressed very well.

And you're welcome.

what he said.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby Loresinger » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:31 pm

it is not persecution when you go into a country that has other beliefs and are not met with "welcome"
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Postby gethen » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:57 pm

And, contrary to my mother-in-law's opinion:
It is not persecution when the government decides to arrest and try both Christian clergy who have sexually abused children and those who have aided and abetted this abuse.
gethen

Postby Cyborg Girl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:11 pm

Wait what? :shock:
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby FZR1KG » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:36 pm

Gullible Jones wrote:Wait what? :shock:

Its God's will...
FZR1KG

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:20 pm

gethen wrote:And, contrary to my mother-in-law's opinion:
It is not persecution when the government decides to arrest and try both Christian clergy who have sexually abused children and those who have aided and abetted this abuse.

They're just out to get them, don't you know!

Ugh. Yeah, that goes on my list...
The Supreme Canuck

Postby gethen » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Well you know, it probably only happened once or twice and the "victims" are just after money and the media are blowing it all our of proportion. :roll:
gethen

Postby FZR1KG » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:35 pm

So long as it only happened once or twice its ok?
Now, what time frame are we working on, like, once or twice a month, week, day etc?
FZR1KG

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:47 pm

gethen wrote:

Well you know, it probably only happened once or twice and the "victims" are just after money and the media are blowing it all our of proportion. :roll:

Also: "It's just a few bad apples. Don't blame the whole church for that! It's not like there was an institutionalized cover-up going all the way to the top! Nope, just a few bad apples!"
The Supreme Canuck

Postby FZR1KG » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:50 pm

Wow TSC.
You sound like my cousin in Oz.

He who say's he has an open mind but nothing I say will change his mind...ok.
FZR1KG

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:47 pm

Er... what? I'm referring to the Catholic Church here, specifically. Things were covered up, and it did go right up to Rome.

Bishops have been arrested.
Cardinals have been implicated.
Archdioceses have paid hush money to keep victims out of the media.
The government of Ireland has found that, and I quote, "the Dublin Archdiocese's pre-occupations in dealing with cases of child sexual abuse, at least until the mid 1990s, were the maintenance of secrecy, the avoidance of scandal, the protection of the reputation of the Church, and the preservation of its assets. All other considerations, including the welfare of children and justice for victims, were subordinated to these priorities. The Archdiocese did not implement its own canon law rules and did its best to avoid any application of the law of the State."
Clergymen have been convicted of covering up sexual abuse by priests (Google Monsignor William Lynn or Bishop Pierre Pican).
Clergymen, including Cardinals, are on public record stating that clergy who have failed to denounce abusers to the police are right to have done so.

I don't see how recognizing these things is evidence of having a closed mind. These are all verified facts. Often, they are the findings of criminal courts or public inquiries. This is not just a few bad apples; there are serious systemic issues in the Catholic Church, and they go all the way up to the Vatican. At the very least, up to the College of Cardinals.

So again, please: how am I being close-minded?
The Supreme Canuck

Postby FZR1KG » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:33 pm

LOL

Also: "It's just a few bad apples. Don't blame the whole church for that! It's not like there was an institutionalized cover-up going all the way to the top! Nope, just a few bad apples!"

That is what I was referring to.

Surely you know my view on the Catholic Church, right?
FZR1KG

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:25 am

I thought I did. Your post seemed... odd. Sarcasm doesn't come through very well on a forum - maybe I hit a nerve.
The Supreme Canuck

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:47 am

The Supreme Canuck wrote:I thought I did. Your post seemed... odd. Sarcasm doesn't come through very well on a forum - maybe I hit a nerve.

His cousin would say everything you said and mean it. But he was definitely being sarcastic. :D
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby FZR1KG » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:35 am

The Supreme Canuck wrote:I thought I did. Your post seemed... odd. Sarcasm doesn't come through very well on a forum - maybe I hit a nerve.

Sorry. I just figured you'd get my sarcasm.
Don't take me seriously again :P
FZR1KG

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:12 am

I generally take you to be joking, but part of my anxiety is that I always think I might be unintentionally offending someone. I won't make that mistake again.

:lol:
The Supreme Canuck

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:11 pm

The Supreme Canuck wrote:I generally take you to be joking, but part of my anxiety is that I always think I might be unintentionally offending someone. I won't make that mistake again.

:lol:

Wow. That explains a lot about some of our interactions when you first joined FWIS. :shock:

Luckily, I know you well enough now to be quite sure if you're offending me, it's intentional. :P
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:02 pm

Hm. Curious. I'd like to know what you're talking about. PM me?
The Supreme Canuck

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:01 pm

The Supreme Canuck wrote:Hm. Curious. I'd like to know what you're talking about. PM me?

Done. :D
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Return to Religion