Birdman

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Birdman

Postby squ1d » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:17 am

Birdman is a very unusual movie, with an edgy jazz drum soundtrack, a slew of continuous sequences, compelling acting and writing that is both punchy and bizarre.
squ1d

Re: Birdman

Postby Rommie » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:48 pm

I saw it a week or two ago with some buddies. I thought it was creative enough, and good for being an original idea for a change.

I don't really get the crowd tho that was all "omg best film ever!", even for getting best picture. Good movie, but I think there are a lot of good ones this year- personally I'm holding out for Boyhood, but that's another story. :)
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:42 pm

Boyhood - not on my list of favorite movies by any means.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:08 am

SciFi Chick wrote:Boyhood - not on my list of favorite movies by any means.

I agree. It did not live up to my expectations. I feel like it's getting all the accolades because of its unique production method, so a meh story is being overlooked.

It's the only 2014 movie I saw. I want to see Theory of Everything, but I don't know if it's out on disk/streaming yet. I'll put Birdman on my to-see list.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Rommie » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:57 pm

Dunno I liked it :P I wouldn't have bought it if the kid's story growing up was super crazy as most people's childhoods aren't action packed like a movie. And frankly I just loved how someone could show up years later, like they do in real life.

pumpkinpi, I preferred Imitation Game to Theory of Everything if you only have time for one geeky movie. Interestingly all my friends and I who have seen both have agreed on that one!
Rommie

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:41 pm

Rommie wrote:Dunno I liked it :P I wouldn't have bought it if the kid's story growing up was super crazy as most people's childhoods aren't action packed like a movie. And frankly I just loved how someone could show up years later, like they do in real life.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. It just didn't move me as much as I expected it to based on all of the hype.

Rommie wrote:pumpkinpi, I preferred Imitation Game to Theory of Everything if you only have time for one geeky movie. Interestingly all my friends and I who have seen both have agreed on that one!

Great, I'll see them both!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby grapes » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:33 pm

squ1d wrote:Birdman is a very unusual movie, with an edgy jazz drum soundtrack, a slew of continuous sequences, compelling acting and writing that is both punchy and bizarre.

Weirdly, everyone is reviewing it as if it were one continuous take (but they admit it's a fake continuous take). To tell you the truth, I didn't really get that impression.
grapes
Resident News Hound

Postby Rommie » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:09 am

grapes wrote:
squ1d wrote:Birdman is a very unusual movie, with an edgy jazz drum soundtrack, a slew of continuous sequences, compelling acting and writing that is both punchy and bizarre.

Weirdly, everyone is reviewing it as if it were one continuous take (but they admit it's a fake continuous take). To tell you the truth, I didn't really get that impression.

I've never heard that one. It also makes no sense as anyone who's studied film knows, there are so many good spots in a theater to cut between takes that you'd never notice as you can line it up so well (ie lots of straight hallways, unlike filming in a park or whatever).
Rommie

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments